Brilliant use for "extra" Christmas tree...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I'm sitting here shaking my head at how I did not think of this myself! Found a great blog called Sew Many Ways and was looking at her Christmas posts.

FYI - You really have to read these posts because there is awesome frugal idea after awesome frugal idea - no skimming! :)

But what blew my socks off was her casual mention of replacing her artificial Christmas tree and instead of getting rid of the old tree she uses the branches elsewhere in her decorating!!!

One good sized branch was turned into a beautiful swag with a well placed ribbon bow hiding the "hook" where the branch would have gone on the tree. SO many possibilities! Here is the link, but what I am gushing over is well down the page...

http://sewmanyways.blogspot.com/2010/12/christmas-home-tour.html

I have an extra tree packed away that I was considering getting rid of since we don't have a place for it. NOT ANYMORE! :)

What a great way to augment garlands, decorate mantels, tops of high bookcases, add to other artificial trees that are a bit skimpy and could use extra branches stuffed in, and on and on...

This makes me think of those times that you see a Christmas tree at a garage sale for free or great price and pass it by because you don't want to take a chance that branches are missing. As long as that baby is still in decent shape (i.e. not brittle, doesn't smell) - this way it would always end up being useful, even if pieces are missing.

Just got really excited and had to share!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
great idea. I have some loose branches from a tree (actually the u shaped ones you put around the pole) I use in places like my village and other fillers

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Looks like a really nice blog. I have book marked it so I can look at it when I have more time.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
What a great idea. Timely for me because it's trash pickup day and I was debating putting out our artificial tree. The bottom layer pieces have all given out, so the branches fall right down to the floor. There are lots of things I could do with those pieces.
Thank you :)

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
LoL -- Look at the Rein-beer! :) (Would be great for kids with Rootbeer - which happens to be DD's favorite).

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
wow, talk about gorgeous trees. I wish I could have a tree in every room. We have several, but defiantly not in my bedroom.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Pre-fire I had LOTS of trees! Including a small 3 footer that would sit on our dresser in our room that we called "the tree of US".

I filled the tree with ornaments that represent both DH and I - our hobbies, likes, etc. So tool ornaments, kayaking ornaments and beer ornaments for him - Starbucks, cooking, baking, etc. ornaments for me - and then some camping theme ornaments since we both love that.

I still have all the ornaments but need to buy another small tree!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Including a small 3 footer that would sit on our dresser in our room that we called "the tree of US".

I filled the tree with ornaments that represent both DH and I - our hobbies, likes, etc. So tool ornaments, kayaking ornaments and beer ornaments for him - Starbucks, cooking, baking, etc. ornaments for me - and then some camping theme ornaments since we both love that.

I still have all the ornaments but need to buy another small tree!

What a great idea. Might have to give one of these to my DS and DIL for Christmas. I'll start it off with a bride and groom ornament.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
AJ love the tree of us idea.
We only have one tree, an 8 footer that goes in our loungeroom. Love it.