Christmas 2019

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Well-Known Member
Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
21,404
38,359
113
61
Barmedman, NSW
Oh I don't let them get to me. I will think, plan and talk Christmas all year long and when it comes time for the Christmas season my family and I will be ready to enjoy it with less stress and more activities while the rest are stressed out still trying to figure out what they are going to, what to buy and how to pay for it.
This is exactly how I feel too. I hit the Christmas season with gifts and stockings wrapped, treats and food ready to go and feeling very relaxed and stress free. I wouldn't have it any other way.
 

sweetpumkinpye

Well-Known Member
Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
21,404
38,359
113
61
Barmedman, NSW
Mary, You could always try the CIJ get together this year and see how it goes. If you and the rest of the family miss the Christmas Eve get together you could always go back to it.
I think a Summer get together sounds like a lot of fun, you could play games and eat great food and just sit and relax without heading off to mass etc.
Let us know what you decide.
 

sweetpumkinpye

Well-Known Member
Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
21,404
38,359
113
61
Barmedman, NSW
Faye, there is a lot of eye rolling in my house too but over all the whole family love Christmas....
 

Rose94

Well-Known Member
Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
1,290
3,065
113
Ontario Canadaa
Thankfully there isn’t to much eye rolling in my house but than again it’s mainly DH and me, alone with youngest son who seems to only appears for meals. In college with a heavy school work load. Thankfully DH loves Christmas as much as I do and mention a few weeks ago how he is going to miss helping to shop for toys in a few years. Grandchildren are starting to become grandteens.
 

missjane

Well-Known Member
Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
10,784
12,837
113
Louisiana
Rose, I have to get DS and DDIL to help me with ideas for DGSs now that they are getting older. I try to buy things for hobbies/sports they are involved in or favorite player/sports team they have. It can be a real brain workout sometimes!
 

PamelaG

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
5,063
7,578
113
Washington, the Evergreen State
Rose, I have to get DS and DDIL to help me with ideas for DGSs now that they are getting older. I try to buy things for hobbies/sports they are involved in or favorite player/sports team they have. It can be a real brain workout sometimes!
A great gift idea for the older kids is to give them an experience they will remember for a long time - concert or a sporting event tickets, a membership to a museum or zoo or other such place that they enjoy.
 

Holiday_Mom

Well-Known Member
Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
4,860
10,666
113
A great gift idea for the older kids is to give them an experience they will remember for a long time - concert or a sporting event tickets, a membership to a museum or zoo or other such place that they enjoy.

I was going to suggest this too. Another thing my teen children enjoy are the lunches out with their grandparents, doing an activity with them, or receiving gift cards to to clothing stores or restaurants that the they like.
 

sweetpumkinpye

Well-Known Member
Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
21,404
38,359
113
61
Barmedman, NSW
I was going to suggest this too. Another thing my teen children enjoy are the lunches out with their grandparents, doing an activity with them, or receiving gift cards to to clothing stores or restaurants that the they like.
I agree with the gift of spending time with the grandkids.
May I also suggest a gift from the grandparents that the kids can keep. If Grandma or Grandpa do a hobby such as knitting or wood work it would be nice to have a sample of their handiwork to pass on to the grandkids.
Maybe grandma could write a recipe book or her memories of the grandkids so that the kids have a sample of her handwriting and a book of her memories.
My kids would cherish these gifts.
 

sweetpumkinpye

Well-Known Member
Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
21,404
38,359
113
61
Barmedman, NSW
I am counting down the days too Faye. It seems such a long time to go but I know that it will be here before we know it.
 

MinnieCo

Well-Known Member
Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
3,662
1,343
113
57
Mary, I've hosted several CIJ parties and we've had a blast. I've posted this before, but we have theme parties. Some of the themes we've done are silly Christmas hats or headbands, a Hawaiian Christmas, and our favorite was a Mad Men theme. Each had food appropriate to the party and honestly I've not had it the past few years because my daughters grown and out of state, but my friends still ask me EVERY year if we are doing it. I do only invite the people that will appreciate it though for sure. No Bah hum bugs!

But if it's the ONLY time the siblings get together than that's definitely something to take into consideration.

I've also done a CIJ scrapbook party with my friends...that was SUPER fun. I've only done it once because I've never been able to get everyone back together again for that, but I'd do it over in a heart beat.
 

sweetpumkinpye

Well-Known Member
Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
21,404
38,359
113
61
Barmedman, NSW

missjane

Well-Known Member
Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
10,784
12,837
113
Louisiana
I must say I'm looking forward to having more time (hopefully!) after I retire to Christmas shop. No more having on a few limited Saturdays. I'm hoping to catch some of those unexpected bargains when I am having time to just browse.

And...days and days to wrap presents and decorate. It seems so unreal right now.
 

sweetpumkinpye

Well-Known Member
Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
21,404
38,359
113
61
Barmedman, NSW
missjane, the lead up to Christmas will be different for you this year for sure.
 

AuntJamelle

Well-Known Member
Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
4,328
2,772
113
South Bend, IN
As Summer approaches (my least favourite season) it's so good to see people already talking about Christmas 2019!

DH was away for last Christmas, but if all goes well he'll be here this year. I'm really hoping to make it an extra special Christmas for the kids.

Aunt Jamelle - We did Disney last fall. Make sure you book those Fast Passes as soon as you can! We'd gone thinking the old system where you swipe your card and get a fastpass was still in place and didn't realize we had to book rides in advance. We had to get our tickets at the gate and didn't have the chance, so our first day we only managed to get on three rides. The girls didn't even want to go back the next day. When we went home that night we were able to book some rides for the next day and they had a much better time. Some of the really popular rides you need to book weeks in advance to get on though, so we did miss some things entirely.

We ended up paying a fortune to take them to Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party so they'd be able to get on some rides when there were fewer people in the park.

Oh my goodness, so sorry to hear about that!!! :( Yes! I will be on my computer bright and early the morning our Fast Pass window opens!!! Probably will divvy up the list of ones to get with our travel agent - that is how we handled our dining reservations and it worked great!

We're going to Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party while there - which I am super excited about!!! :)

I'm feeling the pressure to get AS MUCH as possible ready for Christmas very early this year. I've been trying to stay very aggressive on completing craft projects meant as gifts. Will start work on Christmas Cards in the next month or so to get those done.

Disney just takes so much work - and then when we get back we'll have a big Halloween camping trip a month later - so time will FLY!

Have to keep myself organized and on task this year!!!!
 

sweetpumkinpye

Well-Known Member
Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
21,404
38,359
113
61
Barmedman, NSW
Have to keep myself organized and on task this year!!!!
AJ you are one of the most organised people I know. I think that you will manage to get it all done. A busy time ahead for you but how exciting.
 

AuntJamelle

Well-Known Member
Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
4,328
2,772
113
South Bend, IN
So in the interest of doing as much as early as possible this year I have:

- Created my master menu for all holidays (Halloween through New Years including menu for our Christmas party)
- Started work on my Master Grocery List
- Updated my Freezer Cooking spreadsheet
- Reviewed misc. notes and plugged in dates to do oddball things (cut snarl of old lights off of one tall skinny tree, redo front porch wreaths with all red ornaments I purchased, remove old lights from wicker yard reindeer I got at garage sale and replace with new - already have them)
- Updated Master Baking List and plugged in scheduled times to test a few recipes over the summer
- Reviewed HGP plans and scheduled starting a week early to make up for missed week when we are at Disney
- Plugged in dates to start wrapping starting May 25th ... anything I've purchased or finished crafting so far which is quite a bit as I review my notes
- Still need to work on Advent calendar filler plans

So the other thing that is potentially going to make a BIG impact on all these plans is something very exciting - we are going through the process of trying to adopt via the state. Attending last class next week then have to do a home study - not sure how long the process will take or if the little one we have fallen in love with will still be available/turn out to be a good match for our family.

Have NO idea yet on what the timeframe would be but these things seem to be long and drug out - so we'll see. keep your fingers crossed for us!!! Alternating between extreme stress and excitement - really hoping it works out! These kids just break my heart and we are really hoping to be able to have one join our family.

All of which just amps up the pressure to get as much done as early as possible.
 

PamelaG

Well-Known Member
Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
5,063
7,578
113
Washington, the Evergreen State
Oh my goodness AJ, you are the Queen of Planning for Christmas 2019 and I salute you! What a great idea to look for wicker reindeer at yard sales (probably for sale because the lights don't work) and retrimming them with new lights.

Best of luck with the adoption process and hope that the little one finds forever happiness with your family.