Christmas Countdown ideas

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Skippy1707

Retire Member
Sep 5, 2016
Wales
I am hoping to pick your brains about Christmas this year.

This summer we have made a jar with lollysticks in and each one has a different activity on it. Some are simple household things, others dare days out, some are as simple as going for a walk together and some are things like camping away for the nigh - its kept the kids happy and made it interesting when they have picked a stick each morning.

Im hoping to do the same thing for December to keep them in the Christmas spirit but they will both be in school most days and they both break up on the 22nd December. I know its so close to Christmas but I want to make it memorable for them both this year after last year was a bit of a let down.

So I am after some ideas please.

I have the following
  • Decorating the tree (obviously)
  • Pets Xmas Day (we will have 5 pets by Xmas and another 1 we buy for) so the kids pick and wrap their presents
  • Xmas music day
  • Film days - cuddled under blankets with goodies
  • Baking
  • Winter Wonderland (this is something we have never done that they run in Swansea. It has Christmas lights, ice skating etc so hoping to go this year)
  • Children's Film Club (the local cinema reduces tickets down to £2 each for kids shows some days)
  • I'm hoping to have a cinema trip on Xmas Eve
  • Card writing
  • Santa's Deer feed (our local county park has a huge deer herd that Santa comes out to feed then they put on bouncy castles etc for the kids and mulled wine/food for the parents)
  • Decoration making
  • Seeing the local lights get turned on
  • We have Santa come around the village on a sleigh (pulled by a tractor) but the kids love it
  • At some point the Elf will arrive.
  • My son and daughter will stay with my mother in law for a night in December as me and hubby go away Christmas shopping to Hereford to have time together and she will have something planned for them too
  • Hoping to go on a walk and clip some wild Holly to start decorating the Xmas table and fireplace
  • Decorating their rooms - they each have a little tree that they decorate themselves.
  • I'm trying to find 24 Christmas books in charity shops or a multi story book so they have an Xmas story each night.
  • My son wants to make some bags for homeless people - gloves, socks, scarfs, food, etc and hand them out to people. We have a few local homeless people I think we might do this with and I am going to make a food donation box for him to hand in to the local food bank
  • Same as above but for the local animal charity
  • Make reindeer food
  • Make homemade gifts - truffles, peppermint creams, cookies
  • Its the first year neither of my children have a school play or performance so I may see if the local church has a Christmas carol evening.
  • Christmas list writing
  • Christmas fruit trees
  • Homemade calendars
  • Home made Salt Dough decorations
Can anyone else suggest anything?

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Skippy wow! Your kids will sooooo love the Christmas season :)

- Write a letter to Santa
- make a gingerbread house
- Decorate Christmas cookies
- Go sledding
- Donate a toy
- Make gift-in-a-jar soup or cookies for gifts
- Polar express movie night with the gift of a 'believe' bell

Skippy1707

Retire Member
Sep 5, 2016
Wales
What is a 'believe' bell??? It has to be one of the only Christmas films I haven't seen but my mother in law raves about it every year.

I'm hoping to make up for last year being shocking.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I love this idea! Will have to think of some new ideas....but in the meantime writing down some of yours :)

Skippy1707

Retire Member
Sep 5, 2016
Wales
Lulu - I need to watch this film. The bell sounds like a good idea too.

Frosty - your more than welcome to use my list - I'll add anymore as they are suggested. I wa aiming for about 25 but i think some can be done to 2 a day

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I just realized I need an elf. Surely The Grinch (DSIL) won't say no to an elf if he comes in December. The 10-year-old grandkids will love it. I am so excited!!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
GrammaDeb, bugger the Grinch. You get the elf and have fun. Christmas is about magic, not bah humbug!!

Reactions: Skippy1707