Christmas in July 2018 - Day Eight

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Fireplace/Mantle - often one of the focal points of a room decorated for Christmas and definitely the coziest place in the room.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I don't have a fireplace, But I have a mantel. It is sitting on the floor downstairs waiting for me to decide where I am going to hang it. I was thinking the living room but iit so full with furniture I may put it in the family room. It will depend on how much I purge things from the living room. I have no idea how I will decorate it until it is up but it will be up for Christmas. Pinterest has so many ideas.

Reactions: Cathymac2

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
My fire place is an old fashioned wood burning stove it has a very small mantel, and it does get pretty warm but not hot. I can put figurines there but not candles. But we do live in the Heart of Texas so it does not get lit very often, mostly I put a lot of candles in it ad lite them. for ambiance.

Fuchsia

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
i love decorating the mantel. It's different every year, sometimes it's snowy with putz houses, sometimes it's greenery, pinecones and lights, or 'fishbowl snowglobes' , or greenery and shiny ornaments. I have a couple of cross stitch angels that hang each side of the mantel mirror most years as well.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I use blue, white and silver decorations that will work for both Hanukkah and Christmas. I put a garland and candles on the mantle along with some dreidels. I string all my holiday cards on a wire under the mantle. Since we have a coal/wood burning stove in our fireplace I put more candles and a floral arrangement there. And, of course, the stockings go up for Christmas.

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
We also have a wood burning fireplace. I have a large mirror on the mantle. Some years I hang a wreath on the mirror. Others I make a banner from burlap or scrapbook paper to hang on it. My favorite was a $1 find that was a purchased paper letter one on a ribbon. I took the”Christmas” off so that it said just “Merry”. I loved it.

On the mantle itself I put candles or a garland or just a random collection of stuff, but it always has lights!! My favorite was a line of 5 mason jars with small bottlebrush trees nestled in an evergreen garland with multicolored lights.

I am still searching Pinterest for ideas for this year.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Sounds like some pretty ideas. My mantel has a sound bar on it and a giant TV above it.
I do have a Garland I swag on it with a string of snowman lights and colorful lights. Its busy but I like it

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Our mantel theme changes year to year. It usually includes a wreath, my annalee elves and snowflakes. Any lights I use are battery ones, our outlet is too far away to be of any use. I miss the mantel in my old house it had 2 outlets in it.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I put the Christmas cards on our wood mantle. I have poinsettias and small Christmas trees interspersed with the cards. On the front of the mantle is a artificial evergreen garland with lights and ornaments. We put in screws under the wood mantle to hang the garland each year. They are strategically located so that we can move the fireplace screen without hitting the garland when we are stoking the fire.

Reactions: GrammaDeb

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
NO Mantle, so I leave a key for Santa.

Reactions: GrammaDeb

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I am really, really, REALLY hoping that our plans to do the fireplace in our living room this year happen! I have very much missed not having a mantle.

Everyone's decorating sounds lovely! I'm not even going to plan decor for our mantle until I know it is happening - don't want to jinx it! But right now we have all the weekends in Sept open for the effort - it should only take 2 of them - we have the stone, we have the fireplace insert - will need a small amount of additional supplies...fingers crossed!