Christmas in July 2018 - Day Four

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Oops, Day Three should have been Living Room and Hallways, not Bedrooms and Bathrooms so that means today is Living Room and Hallways!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Pamela, just wanted to say thank you for taking care of the CIJ posts!

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Pamela, just wanted to say thank you for taking care of the CIJ posts!
You're welcome! Love this time of year and all of the MHH community who have such great ideas!

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Yes thanks PamelaG!

Hallway is small so Nothing done there, but the LR! ah that is THE Christmas room - tree, figurines, village, pillows, throws, lights, lights, lights, stockings.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I have a nice hallway that has a bench that I place lanterns, small trees and maybe a wrapped present or two. I also have several wooden crates that I like to use in a vignette. The living room hosts the main tree which is decorated in birds, birdhouses, florals, pine cones, red apples, red burlap ribbon, and some jiggle bells. I have half a staircase that I decorate with ever green garland and white lights and red bows. place several different in my curio cabinet and some lanterns and greens on the piano. We are will be downsizing with the next year and I know I have to give up some of my decor. I tried after Christmas 2017 and found I had a hard time letting go.

Last edited:

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
We don't have a hallway front door walks into the LR, side door into the tiny laundry room (housing stacking washer/drier, tool chest, small upright freezer & a built in coat shelf/bench.) Its crowded. Latlat year I did clean up for a cute Christmas lantern and hung Christmas photos on the cabinets
The living room is the main room so it has the main tree full of ornaments that mean things to me. One one end we have built ins and a shelf going across the wall over the French doors. That shelf has my Christmas village and it stays up year round I just don't turn the lights on off season. I have a Garland for the fireplace and I made a ornament Garland for the half stair rail. A lot of my snowmen are here also (on the built ins)

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
MissJoDee I understand about pairing down. I have way more than I put out yet struggling getting rid of stuff I don't use

holidayhelpelf

MHH Member
Oct 30, 2007
Hi Everyone! I understand about paring down also. We moved in Feb. of 2017...and we made it a major paring down move! We went through Christmas boxes kind of ruthlessly...keeping only things from the kids and things that had very special meaning to us. We pared 11 boxes of Christmas stuff down to 3 (not counting the tree). And you know what...when we set up for Christmas this past year, we didn't miss any of that stuff. We have about the same amount of room here, but the set-up is different and we don't have all the furniture to set stuff on that we had in the old place. Not sure how long it would have taken us to do that without the move!

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
I have really streamlined my Christmas since I hurt my back and had surgery 3 years ago. I use a lot of fresh holly (my mom has a tree that is always loaded with berries), pine (from our farm) and the Cyprus trimmings from the tree we cut at a tree farm. I always score a ton of trimmings just by asking. They are happy to give it away. I alternate my tree decor every year. Of course there are certain special things that are always on the tree. Last year I used navy and silver. I put huge dollar store silver glittered stars on it. Funny side story that you girls alone will understand-I spent two (precious) hours Thanksgiving morning going from Dollar General to DG to get those stars for half price! I had to go to 5 stores (all here in my little city of 35,000, thankfully) to get enough but I got them! And I got my cooking done too! Thank goodness for DG and to-go coffee!
This year I will use the stars and maybe the navy and white buffalo check ribbon I ordered for the Tree last year but will definitely add red! I didn’t use that color last year and it wasn’t the same!
Love this thread! Keep the descriptions coming!!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
This is my favorite Christmas living room.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I love reading about all of your decorations! It all sounds so beautiful and takes me to a Christmas wonderland in my mind!

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
Our hallway has a Christmas countdown and a Christmas wall quilt. Living room is where we put our tree and a few other decorations. I have a very small Christmas village that sits on top of the dinning room hutch all year. Living room and dinning room are one big combine room.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Our entry way has a 7 foot pencil tree with clear lights. The theme changes every year. I try not to buy new but use what ever I have in my stash. I have a collection of annalee dolls so some of the larger ones end up here. Sometimes I do the bannister to the upstairs sometimes not.
The living room has our family tree. There are annalees throughout the room. The mantel changes every year also again using my stash. My husbands Christmas village sits on top of the 2 curio cabinets.

Andthenjust

MHH Member
Jul 10, 2018
Uk
I have a small porch in my home which pretty much opens straight into the living room. Our living room takes priority in the decorating, but I'd love to be able to add something to the porch.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Our front hall has a small table that I decorate according to the seasons. Usually, the table has a holiday placemat or runner with a "O Holy Night" sign I picked up from Hobby Lobby a couple of years back. I have a statue of St. Nick looking at the Infant Jesus in the creche in front of the sign.

Our living room has a fireplace. I decorate the mantle top with Christmas cards and lanterns. Artificial greens and lights hang from the front of the mantle. We also have a piano. I decorate the top of the piano with a nativity set.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
So I have a tiny, tiny hallway. Literally 4 doors and a walkway through to the living room and that's with little space in between. So with that said, I have one little piece of space between the bathroom and the linen closet and every Christmas I hang a NOEL sign that my grandmother made. It kinda looks like this one in the photo. It's nothing fancy, but it makes me smile and I feel like it has it's own little special spot.
As far as my living room, our family tree is put up in their. Has all of our family yearly ornaments and some that are gifts from others. I have a nice big window, and since my wall space is limited I hang all of our stockings with big suction hooks on the window going across my living room. I love it because when I set on my couch at night, the tree lights just light up the stockings and it makes me happy!! :) I go because space is limited and I'm a big collector in general I do a total pack up the 1st week of October when I put Halloween out. All of my normal stuff...Presidential Books, Hummels, Disney figurines and whatever else I keep out, all gets packed. Then October through January I display holiday stuff. It's a process and it's taken me a long time to figure out something that works best for me. It's a lot of work, but for years I was packing and unpacking my normal display stuff between each holiday and finally I'm like..Yeah NO!! So I have designated totes just for that stuff. I hope that makes sense. If I ever get rid of my big, old style decorative units that came with the tv stand type units I'd be lost. How to tell you what I have in my living room. I've been collecting different vintage pieces for several years now. Some of those are grouped together as well as my Lenox and Jim Shore Disney Christmas pieces. Last, but not least, I have a Precious Moments Nativity Scene my grandmother bought for my "daughter" when she was born. That's kinda cool because my daughter ended up getting a yearly precious moments ornament until she was 18. Now I'm handing all those over and the nativity scene together.

Attachments

• NOEL-Christmas-Door-Wall-Hanging-Plastic-Canvas-Handmade-_1.jpg
    NOEL-Christmas-Door-Wall-Hanging-Plastic-Canvas-Handmade-_1.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 1

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
We have a large wide hallway on the main floor - with one tall glass front antique cabinet and one long lower bookshelf.

I always do some sort of lighted arrangement on top of the tall cabinet - greenery and either a sleigh filled with pretty things or a glass hurricane with glitter filler and a fat pillar candle, something like that.

Will talk about the bookshelf in the thread for that!

Eventually we will have our downstairs finished again which will give me another hallway to decorate! Maybe next year!

Just remembered! I now put our large wooden tree shaped Advent calendar up on this cabinet - so DS is not tempted to peek ahead! lol

Last edited: