Christmas in July 2018 - Day Ten

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Ways to make decorating easier is the last in our Decor and Decorating segment of Christmas in July and tomorrow we'll move on to Outdoor Decorating.

How do you make decorating easier? Myron's Mom had a great comment on Day Four - use whatever is in your stash. It might be wonderful to have the budget to decorate with a different theme each year but then I think some of the traditions of Christmas include having the same or a similar decorating style, bringing out old favorites, family heirlooms, treasured childhood items. If you decorate with a different theme each year, what do you do with the items from previous years, purge or store and recycle them around again a number of years later? I look forward to hearing what everyone thinks about this topic.

Reactions: Minta

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I do try to keep like thing together in like bins so I know where it goes when I grab it. Doesn't always work out that way but it helps some. I tend to buy on clearance if I want to replace something but generally it's the same items every year

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
all of our Christmas decorations are in clearly marked totes .. they are labeled for what room they are for and the outside totes are labeled outside lights, outside garland etc. We decorate pretty much the same with a few minor changes here and there so that knowing how I am going to decorate and having all the decorations on hand for the room/area is a big time saver. Every year I keep one empty bin out for all the new stuff we pick up on clearance through out January and gets put up in the attic in Feb with the rest of the Christmas totes .. this saves us from having to hunt everything down.

I also like to bring down the outside totes early in Nov so we can test the lights and replace any broken/dead bulbs before its time to decorate.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I also like to take photos with my phone if I do something different I like so I'll remember next year. That is if I remember to look

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
I use the same items every year but in different ways. I decide what I want to do in each room this time of year and then make notes in my notebook to remind myself.
I try to take pictures on my phone as well as a reference for the next year. I’m really not that good at remembering to that though.
This year I am hoping to organize things a little better. I do try to put extension cords in with the lights, wire hangers with the glass balls, ribbon with the wreaths and garlands, etc. However it’s usually a big mess until I get done.
I use my back porch as a “staging area”. When the boys start getting stuff out of the storage buildings, I pick thru and get out what I want, then have them return the boxes of unused items to storage.
Good topic!

Reactions: Minta

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
We pretty well keep with the same things and a few new here and there (sales afterwards) sometimes. One year we went thru and sorted totes and I listed on paper what was in each and we numbered them. Next year I went to tote #3 and pulled out the pillows, throws etc then like #1 was maybe kitchen things. It worked out great cuz I could decorate and then knew which tote was snowman, santas whatever but I lost the list and now things are all mixed again. Really need to resort and do again because it was really handy.

Reactions: GrammaDeb and Minta

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I use the tote system too. Each is labeled either living room, sunroom,entryway, and "other"My linen closet has one shelf that is for Christmas only. All of that is stored upstairs along with my annalees. In my basement sewing room all my holiday florals are in totes on one shelving unit along with all my gift wrap. I make sure that everything is stored together such as the extension cords for lights always goes back in the light box.
I started several years ago putting up the living room tree the week before thanksgiving. I was working full time nights , looking after my parents and working on my BSN and just couldn't get everything done. I've kept that going because it's less stress on my back. We also arrange the sunroom and set up the tree stand for the live tree at that time.
I pretty much use the same things every year except for the entryway tree. My "other" tote has stuff that I repurpose so I don't have to buy new. I am trying not to buy new stuff , there is so much here already. I also photograph everything and write down ideas in my notebook for the coming year.

Reactions: GrammaDeb

Andthenjust

MHH Member
Jul 10, 2018
Uk
I need to steal your ideas! I have a mental list of decorations I have, but we have a tendency in my house to haphazardly put them all in boxes with no thought to organizing them.
I love the tote bag idea!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I have labeled totes too: Living Room, Fireplace/Mantle, Dining Room, Kitchen, Family Room, Silver/Blue, Red/Green, Tree Lights, Ornaments. I pull out one box at a time and decorate as time permits. The Silver/Blue and Red/Green box hold ornaments that have those colors. Each year I let the children determine the main color of the ornaments and then we add the personal ornaments we've received over the years to fill in the tree.

I store the light strands in individual large Ziploc bags. It seems easier to find and they don't get tangled as much.

Reactions: GrammaDeb

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
My current "organization" level is knowing where all the boxes, totes, bags and bins are and bringing them all down at once when my decorating marathon begins.

I've tried labels, general or itemized - it lasts until the boxes are emptied. Once it's time to put decor away I do not have the patience to do anything but just get it all down and put away somehow!

I do try to do the following:

Keep all lights together - each string goes in it's own plastic grocery sack and all the sacks go in a big box. Not pretty but it keeps them from tangling! It's also quick and easy! I keep the white lights on top since I'll be grabbing those to use in Fall decor.

I put all electronic gadgets in one box - light timers, remote light on/off switch sets, the special outdoor extension cords/power strips, etc.

Foot press on/off switch cord for tree goes in the tree box.

I do take pictures of finished decor and that is helpful. I also have a spreadsheet listing pretty much everything I have - I update it as I get new things - or get rid of things - scanning that helps me plan how I might like to decorate. I make a basic outline, room by room, in Word - mostly for my own entertainment because I just go with the flow once the boxes come out!

I am all for using what I have in slightly different ways each year!

Typically I start with the big tree and then finish from there. Last year was hard but I was getting sick at the time - still hoping to approach things a little differently this year. Maybe getting top of kitchen cabinets done the weekend BEFORE Thanksgiving - after the big tree that is the biggest job.