Christmas in July 2018 - Day Thirteen

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Front Porch. This may have been covered in Doors but if so, tell us again!

Reactions: Minta

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
I enjoy decorating my front porch. Sometimes I decorate the back porch too even tho no one sees it but us. However, you can get glimpses of it driving down the street if you are looking!!
Like my house, I try to do something different with the same stuff every year. Lol. A couple of years ago a coworker who was also a youth pastor had a “inside yard sale” at his church as a fundraiser. He had somehow managed to get Walmart to donate a pallet of ornaments and lights the year before. They sold them for a huge discount on the listed price. I bought big tubs of gold and silver unbreakable ornaments for a couple of dollars each and strings of lights for $1 each. Needless to say the back of my Tahoe was loaded and I spent $30 or so for a very good cause!
So I use some of those for the porch in a variety of ways. I buy different ribbon every year when Hobby Lobby puts it on for half. I fill planters and baskets with ornaments and greens and lights and bows. I use garland and lights or sometimes just lights on the porch railing. I put slipcovered pillows in Christmas designs on the chairs and gliders. I use jars-quart mason jars and gallon pickle jars- filled with salt or sand-with tealights or pillar candles on the steps and on the porch tables etc. I mix in fresh greenery from Lowe’s (cheaply purchased on Black Friday) with pine from our farm and holly from my mom’s tree. This year I think i’ll add ivy snagged from her back yard.
This year’s ribbon will be red and white striped mixed with red and white checked! I have several ideas pinned to try. Here’s hoping I have time to get it all done!

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I enjoy decorating my front porch. Sometimes I decorate the back porch too even tho no one sees it but us. However, you can get glimpses of it driving down the street if you are looking!!
Like my house, I try to do something different with the same stuff every year. Lol. A couple of years ago a coworker who was also a youth pastor had a “inside yard sale” at his church as a fundraiser. He had somehow managed to get Walmart to donate a pallet of ornaments and lights the year before. They sold them for a huge discount on the listed price. I bought big tubs of gold and silver unbreakable ornaments for a couple of dollars each and strings of lights for $1 each. Needless to say the back of my Tahoe was loaded and I spent $30 or so for a very good cause!
So I use some of those for the porch in a variety of ways. I buy different ribbon every year when Hobby Lobby puts it on for half. I fill planters and baskets with ornaments and greens and lights and bows. I use garland and lights or sometimes just lights on the porch railing. I put slipcovered pillows in Christmas designs on the chairs and gliders. I use jars-quart mason jars and gallon pickle jars- filled with salt or sand-with tealights or pillar candles on the steps and on the porch tables etc. I mix in fresh greenery from Lowe’s (cheaply purchased on Black Friday) with pine from our farm and holly from my mom’s tree. This year I think i’ll add ivy snagged from her back yard.
This year’s ribbon will be red and white striped mixed with red and white checked! I have several ideas pinned to try. Here’s hoping I have time to get it all done!
I love the idea of the mason jars with tealights.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I hang lit garland from the porch roof. Sometimes the full length sometimes just on the rails framing the door area.
We just painted the porch furnature red so I love the idea of Christmas slip covers.
Occasionally I have put a lit tree on there also on the corner (it's a short L) but most my old ones are falling apart.
Year round I have 2 small trees in planters and I light them only at Christmas.
All of the windows have a plain green wreath hung by a wire.

Cathymac I put a tree on my back porch for the same reason. We dont back up to anyone

Reactions: Minta and GrammaDeb

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
I have a little landing at the front step and that is it. I put a wreath on the door and last year I made a little planter box to go in the corner by the little small side window to the door. I purchased fake tree branches etc at Michaels when they when on clearance along with white ornaments/ribbon from the dollar store which I tied to the branch’s so if I want to switch them out I can easily. Ornaments have held up very well for our Canadian weather.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Nothing on our front porch :( too windy! but we do put a Christmas tree out in front of the house with lights (no ornaments or they'll blow away).

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
No porch but a Hanukkah wreath on the door.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I do lighted garland around the door, with snowflakes and pinecones in the garland. I have 2 lighted trees in urns on either side of the doorway, as well. I always want to do more, then life happens and I just don't get it together. lol

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We have a bench on our front porch. Sometimes it holds presents and sometimes it doesn't. I also have an old sled that leans against the brick wall. It has a greens hanging from it. I use lots of pine cones, evergreens, boxwood, winter berry, and holly on the porch. I reuse 32 oz plastic containers (sour cream, yogurt, etc) and fill them with water. They are placed inside the galvanized containers and then I put the fresh greens in the plastic containers. As long as I keep the greens watered, they will last a long time. Lanterns and votive candle holders surround the greens. I dress up the containers with red ribbon.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
Once I hung silk poinsettias in pots on the porch. Someone asked me in February how I kept them looking so fresh. I told him it was a secret.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Garland with color lights and bows along the porch railing, a blow up santa with a Christmas countdown clock that gets anchored in one corner, wooden candy canes with a bow for the front door, a sled with light up candy canes is usually in the other corner but may need to find a new spot for it this year. Last year after Christmas we picked up lit-up garland to go around the front door with 2 small lit-up trees to go on each side of the door and we picked up a battery operated light up lantern that will go into the other corner. I amt thinking about taking an old small 4 ft tree that we used to use inside and finding a small table to mount it on and placing it on the front porch and decorate with bows and non breakable ornaments.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I have a little patio table and chair set. I do put something on the table every year. It can vary. I put lights around my front window that sits directly behind that table and chairs, so whatever I put there I see from inside as well. Above my door I have an A shape type overhang. I have some hanging star lights that go up and back down that I hang every year. Then those light up the area directly above my door and there I hang a great big circle that says Santa's Workshop. I also have an old animated type Minnie Mouse that my mom gave me 20+ years ago. It no longer works, but I cut off the cords and I put her on a little stand next to my front door. As far as sitting anything out that's not attached, its' hard because if a wind or snow storm blows in here in Denver your decorations are down the street. I've found plenty of pumpkins a block away of mine, so I don't want to loose any trees so unless they are attached in the yard with stakes, they don't just sit out.