Christmas in July 2018 - Day Thirty-One

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
It's a Wrap! Your choice today - a wrap-up (summary of the month) or tell us all about your wrapping (paper, bows, decorative boxes, ribbon, other trims) plans.

Special thanks to Miss JoDee for coming up with the foundation for this year's themes and for her input as we tweaked the content to add in enough for thirty-one fun days of posts and to all of you for participating and sharing your ideas and tips. It was a very Merry Christmas in July!

I've had a couple of requests to rerun a few of the days as we get closer to the holidays since there were some great tree decorating and other tips that would be handy to have close by when the time comes. I'll just bump them up to the top of the thread and let you all know where to find them.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
i wrap in all colors esp. red and green. love stripes and fancy bows. thanks pam for doing cij looking fwd to start countdown for the holidays.

Reactions: Minta and PamelaG

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
I have thoroughly enjoyed these posts!
I use wrap that matches my tree colors usually. Last year I used navy and silver, and while it was beautiful, I missed the red!
This year I think i’m using red, navy, white and turquoise on the tree with silver as my metal and burlap (or linen type fabric) as my texture. My wrap will include plain white paper and brown craft paper and satin ribbon bows in those color. At least that’s the plan right now!!

Reactions: Minta

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We used to wrap each child's presents in their own color paper, but now that they are older we mix them all up. I buy an assortment of paper, whatever floats my boat each year. If i'm putting them under the tree before they go to bed on Christmas Eve, I put a tiny initial somewhere on the bottom of the package so they can't tell whose is whose and snoop. If i'm not, then i'll put a label on and put in our closet. We don't normally do ribbons and bows, every once in a while I will but not typically.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I have a variety of wrapping paper, I buy what I like lol. I plan to start wrapping in Nov and do them in batches and hope to finish the week before Christmas.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
I Like to use a variety of wrapping paper and usually pick it up at after Christmas sales. The grandchildren get a pair of pjs and another gift so I will wrap their gifts in matching paper with each grandchild getting a different paper. I do make tags to put on the gifts but no bows. Everyone else gets mixed wrappings.

Thank you for the CIJ themes and the ideas posted.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
Thank you all for the wonderful ideas and for sharing your holiday traditions. I wrap all the gifts in matching paper, with ribbon & bows. I like to tie a candy cane, a tree ornament, or a little trinket to the top of each recipient's largest package for a little something special. Then, gifts from family & friends arrive, and we have a beautiful display of multi-colored gifts. When the kids were still at home, Santa's presents were unwrapped.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Thank you for a fun CiJ posts.

I have a variety of papers and wrap according to the receiver. I also use a lot of gift bags.
Most of the boys Santa gifts are not wrapped however I do wrap the PJs and some other gifts so each year we find some code to use instead of their names. It's like Gold, silver, bronze or the initials of their favorite character lots of things to keep it mixed up.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
This has been so much fun!
I buy all my wrapping paper after Christmas unless I find something that really speaks to me. This past year I found some vintage reproduction paper at home goods so I'm anxious to wrap this year. We also use gift bags and cute gift boxes (mostly bought at dollar tree) that we reuse every year. No ribbons or bows- Myron has pica issues and ended up with a bowel obstruction from eating ribbon. And no glitter paper - it drives my husband nuts.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Thanks to everyone who helped with CIJ.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
For Hanukkah I color code DH, DS and DDIL's gifts because they (DS and DDIL) open a lot without me being there.

For Christmas and Santa gifts I prefer reds and greens - the only time I really love green.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Well done to all of you that posted throughout CIJ. I have enjoyed reading all the posts.
When I wrap I use a variety of papers. I have a huge stock pile and I normally pick paper up when I see something that I like. I wrap in a haphazard way, no particular colour or order, what ever I pick up and like. I do try to mix it up. I am using less and less gift bags now I prefer to wrap.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Many thanks to all for the month long flurry of posting! Loved it!

I have a wrapping paper “problem” – lol I have 3 long totes worth plus a stand up bin. All different colors and patterns! I like to wrap presents in all different papers – usually paired with a solid color wired ribbon and perhaps a little something like an ornament tied into the bow. Sometimes I hot glue little pretty doo dads onto the wrapped presents as well.

Or I may layer cellophane (clear but with a pattern) over a simpler wrapping paper design to get a really pretty look. What I really want to do is order big rolls of brown kraft paper and plain white paper and use those but I just can’t bring myself to buy them when I have so much already! Maybe some day!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
AJ - I have been using up previous bought paper for the last couple of years so I can switch up everything and just use the brown paper wrapping. There is so much we can do with it. This is just one example.

Last edited:

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
TAJ I have been using up previous bought paper for the last couple of years so I can switch up everything and just use the brown paper wrapping. There is so much we can do with it. This is just one example.

Brown paper is a great foundation for all types of embellishments.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I have enjoyed the CIJ posts. This was the first year that I participated. Thank you so much for putting this together.

It use to be that all the children's gifts from Santa were wrapped in Santa wrapping paper. The gifts from us (boring clothes at the time) were put into Christmas gift bags. Now that every one has aged out, I use whatever paper I find at the after Christmas sales. I also use bows and ribbons on the gifts. It's one of the few creative things I enjoy doing as long as I have Christmas songs playing or a Hallmark Christmas movie playing in the background.

Fuchsia

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Oops, I wandered off and forgot to wander back. Thanks all for the great CIJ ideas - will definitely be re-visiting these ideas nearer December!