Christmas in July 2018 - Day Three

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Bedrooms and Bathrooms - do you decorate either or both?

Reactions: Cathymac2

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Blog post is up - so many great holiday bedding designs out there, can't wait to shop for mine.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Both bedrooms get a tree – but I use the tall “skinny” kind – not a lot of branches really but it works! The one in our room is pretty tall – 7 ft I think. In DS’s room we have a 5 ft tree. He loves helping to decorate his tree!

In our room I do a greenery arrangement with lights on top of our tall dresser. In DS’s room we might do Christmas window clings, any Christmas type stuffed animals or some of his normal ones with a red bow tied around their necks go under the tree. Classic toys are cute here too, like his Etch A Sketch, etc.

I have a set of red sheets I get out for his bed as well.

Bathroom I do not do much – I have a cute little mouse that sits in a ceramic red clawfoot tub – I put that in the center area of our double vanity along with a Christmas candle and that is it.

I have a small tabletop tree with beach theme accessories that goes in downstairs bathroom.

There are things I've always WANTED to do in these rooms but by the time I get the rest of the house finished I am running out of steam and usually just say - enough is enough.

Maybe I can figure out a way to start decoration in these rooms - maybe even the week or two before Thanksgiving - so that the special things I want to do actually get done...will have to review my calendar - time fills up so quickly during that part of the year!!!!

Will come back to share some ideas from Pinterest on what I'm referring to...

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
I decorate both the bedroom and bathroom. Bedroom gets Christmas pillows and the Christmas doll my grandmother made gets added. I also have a small tree that goes into the bedroom that I put the ornaments that belonged to my parents and grandparents onto. Once the grandchildren are older they will go on the large tree.
Bathrooms get window clings on the mirrors and Santa’s that my children got me from the five and dime stores when they were little.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Rose94 - I would love to see a picture of your grandmother's Christmas doll!

I put up a few lights in my bedroom with some Christmas figurines. I do not have a Christmas bedspread YET. In the guest bedroom I do have a Christmas bedspread my aunt gave me.
In the bathroom I have Christmas curtains, christmas figurines, window clings in the mirror, christmas towels, christmas soap pump. I need a Christmas bath rug.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I usually put a Santa in each bathroom. If I I have the energy I will put some antique Christmas bulbs in a bowl in the bedroom.

Update: I did forget that I have a Snowman shower curtain for one of the bathrooms.

Last edited:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I only decorate the first floor bathroom that everyone uses. I put fresh greens in a large vase with a bow. I use whatever I have on hand - boxwood, holly, juniper, evergreens, etc. I also put out Christmas towels, a candle and seasonal scented soap.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
A fake blue and white poinsettia in the bathroom and a Santa toilet seat cover. Also a Hanukkah banner on the front door.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Two boys put up a small tree with their ornaments. One boy has a loft so I hang up a Garland with light and sometimes he puts up his ornaments.
I do very little in our bedroom except for my red blanket with snowflakes.
Master bath is snowmen, boys bath has a little in it and I do the half down stairs with some things.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I decorate the first floor bathrooms. I change the towels, add a tree on the counter in the main bath, change the art on the walls, and put out some snowmen in the main bath. Our bath is more subtle, towels, soaps, and a glass jar filled with ornaments, and off course candle light.

i don't do the bedrooms, although this year I'd like to add a tree to our bedroom.

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
I decorate our bedroom with lights and a tree. I decide in the summer what my decor will be for that year. I try to keep our bedroom simple and more elegant than the rest of the house. I almost always use gold as my metallic in the bedroom because I typically use silver every where else. Last year I used gold and red. This year it’s looking like blush, cranberry and gray.
I put a large metal snowman in the boys’ bathroom along with holiday hand towels and a sprig or two of something fresh- pine, cedar, holly, whatever I have.
In our bathroom I have a small 4’ tree with lights and glass ornaments. I have a kissing snow couple figurine that sits between our sinks on the vanity. They’ve sat there for 20 Christmases!

Reactions: luludou

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Cathymac2, when you decide on your color scheme do you just change up what you already have or do you purchase new decor? I have gone the route of nature and just keep introducing one or more natural item, by bringing in something from the yard or tall grasses behind my house that I try to collect in the fall.

holidayhelpelf

MHH Member
Oct 30, 2007
I love hearing how each of your decorate. It helps with ideas for me too.
I don't do much decorating in the bathroom. I change out the nightlight to one of the old-fashioned bubble lights. I have a red towel on the back of the toilet tank and usually put something on it.
In the bedroom I have a small table-top tree (it actually stays on the dresser year-round to plug in each Rudy Day), which I decorate more, and I think I'd like to add more lights around in there this year.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Christmas themed flannel sheets are put on every bed in the house. In the bathroom, I put out Christmas colored towels and washcloths. I put out small Christmas decorations, but no trees in any of those rooms...house just isn't large enough.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Our downstairs bath is done in snowflakes/snowmen with Christmas accents that I can pull after the holiday. That way I can leave it up until close to spring when I change to Easter. I never get to the upstairs, even though I have always wanted too. Would love to have a tree in front of the picture window in the master.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Our downstairs bath is done in snowflakes/snowmen with Christmas accents that I can pull after the holiday. That way I can leave it up until close to spring when I change to Easter. I never get to the upstairs, even though I have always wanted too. Would love to have a tree in front of the picture window in the master.
Snowflakes/snowmen are a great decoration since you can leave them up all winter.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I love decorating with snowmen and snowflakes for the same reason

Reactions: PamelaG

Cathymac2

Premiere Member
Aug 8, 2013
Arkansas
Cathymac2, when you decide on your color scheme do you just change up what you already have or do you purchase new decor? I have gone the route of nature and just keep introducing one or more natural item, by bringing in something from the yard or tall grasses behind my house that I try to collect in the fall.
I mostly use what I have. I move things from one room to another to try to keep it fresh. I always say I am not going to buy anything new but we all know that is a lie! Lol

Reactions: PamelaG

Andthenjust

MHH Member
Jul 10, 2018
Uk
All bedrooms get Christmas bedding. In my daughters ' bedroom, they have gingerbread house nightlights, and some other small Christmas themed nick nacks. I sometimes put up window stickers/clings.
When my girls were very little, my husband and I used to put tinsel-type decorations over their ceiling/doorway. Their room was COVERED! Incredibly tacky and ott, but they loved it.
I've been trying to convince my husband that the girls (and I) need miniature potted Christmas trees in the bedrooms. Wish me luck in succeeding this year!

I don 't decorate much in the bathroom - it's a small room and we have no wall shelves to put things on etc. If anyone has any ideas on how I decorate this room I'd appreciate it!