Christmas in July 2018 - Day Two

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Wreaths and Wreath-making - is this your superpower? ;)

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Blog post is up - what are your thoughts on buffalo check and houndstooth?

Reactions: teachermomof2

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Love buffalo check and houndstooth!

I have a Hanukkah wreath that I made that I put out every year and bought another one last year.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Love buffalo check and houndstooth!

I have a Hanukkah wreath that I made that I put out every year and bought another one last year.
We have a street of impressive homes here for very senior officers. Every other year, there is a tour of the ground floor of the homes when they are all decorated for the holidays. One of the officers was Jewish and their home was stunningly decorated in silver and blue with festive touches. I wish photography was allowed!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I like making wreaths. I learned while working at the hospital. My boss was really into crafty things so she would hold a class for us. During work time of all things. Funny that I made a lot of wreaths but I do not have one for my own house.

Not for Christmas but I did make some with barb wire. Most everyone we knew at the time had horses so it fit right in to everyone's taste.

I need to put this on my DO IT LIST for this year.

Reactions: PamelaG

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I do love wreaths! I’ve made oh so many over the years – although I will say that when it comes to Christmas wreaths I have always started with a standard evergreen wreath and then added other elements to it.

I haven’t made fresh evergreen type wreaths from scratch – have thought about it – but just never have.

My core tools are: Wire Cutters, Hot Glue Gun, Floral wire, Extra Long Twist Ties (save these from when you buy/unwrap new strands of Christmas lights)

I prefer not to hot glue items in place but use the wire or twist ties instead – allows me to strip the wreath down and replace with different décor in the future as desired.

I’ve also not been afraid to strip off unwanted décor from clearance wreaths – hello wire cutters – to get a more neutral base that I could then work from.

I’ve also made felt ruffle wreaths in cream or white – hot gluing on a scattering of pearls as accents – but have given those away a gifts.

I’ve learned to make good use of You Tube when I need nice bows for wreaths – there are SO many tutorials – although I tend to stick with simpler ones.

Also have a tip on hanging wreaths! Love the Frog brand suction cup hangers – however – once they go on, they go on – so these stay on my glass doors year round and I switch out what hangs on them. Be careful to get them in the right spot the first time – although difficult to do you can move them – but the residue left behind is not easy to clean off.

Reactions: luludou

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I do love wreaths! I’ve made oh so many over the years – although I will say that when it comes to Christmas wreaths I have always started with a standard evergreen wreath and then added other elements to it.

I haven’t made fresh evergreen type wreaths from scratch – have thought about it – but just never have.

My core tools are: Wire Cutters, Hot Glue Gun, Floral wire, Extra Long Twist Ties (save these from when you buy/unwrap new strands of Christmas lights)

I prefer not to hot glue items in place but use the wire or twist ties instead – allows me to strip the wreath down and replace with different décor in the future as desired.

I’ve also not been afraid to strip off unwanted décor from clearance wreaths – hello wire cutters – to get a more neutral base that I could then work from.

I’ve also made felt ruffle wreaths in cream or white – hot gluing on a scattering of pearls as accents – but have given those away a gifts.

I’ve learned to make good use of You Tube when I need nice bows for wreaths – there are SO many tutorials – although I tend to stick with simpler ones.

Also have a tip on hanging wreaths! Love the Frog brand suction cup hangers – however – once they go on, they go on – so these stay on my glass doors year round and I switch out what hangs on them. Be careful to get them in the right spot the first time – although difficult to do you can move them – but the residue left behind is not easy to clean off.
Yes, using wire or twist ties instead of glue is a great idea, makes it easy to change the design later on and what a great idea to pick up clearance wreaths and strip off the unwanted decor!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I'm no good at wreaths but I think I'll watch some tutorial on youtube, will give me ideas!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I use artificial wreaths. I keep the garage and front door wreaths very simple with a bow. The garage wreaths are stored in the garage and the front door wreath is stored in the basement right be the door itself. It makes for a decorating/undecorating very quickly.

The one in the family room is bigger. I use a bow and a few pinecones with a hint of white on them. I store that with all the tree decorations.

holidayhelpelf

MHH Member
Oct 30, 2007
I like making wreaths. I learned while working at the hospital. My boss was really into crafty things so she would hold a class for us. During work time of all things. Funny that I made a lot of wreaths but I do not have one for my own house.

Not for Christmas but I did make some with barb wire. Most everyone we knew at the time had horses so it fit right in to everyone's taste.

I need to put this on my DO IT LIST for this year.

How did you work with the barbed wire to make it into a wreath?? Seems like that could be pretty painful? :)
I've only made a couple of wreaths over the years, though a few years ago I made small wreaths that I glued small ceramic teacups/saucers/pots to and our local tea shop sold them. That was fun.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
After Christmas of '16 I got wreaths from Hobby Lobby for like 80 or 90% off. I was wanting to use them on all the windows but haven't. They are just the greenery ones.

Andthenjust

MHH Member
Jul 10, 2018
Uk
I have serious craft envy! I'm not very creative, but I'd love to be. Is wreath making something you could feasibly learn from youtube videos?

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I have serious craft envy! I'm not very creative, but I'd love to be. Is wreath making something you could feasibly learn from youtube videos?
I'm sure you could find a video on wreath-making. You Tube is an amazing resource.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I've made a lot of wreaths in my time, but I'm currently without a Christmas wreath for my front door. I tossed the last one finally when I thought it had seen better days. Last year so it wasn't blank I bought a real one on Flack Friday from Home Depot. This year I'm bound and determined to make the Mickey Mouse wreath I've been saying I"m going to make for 10 years. Super simple and should look SOMETHING like this when I'm done. I usually go through one every couple years. I like a color scheme and then I get bored of it.

DPbn4EZX0AEG_xb.jpg

Reactions: AuntJamelle