Christmas in July 2019 - Day Twenty-Five

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Family Favorites today in the Christmas in the Kitchen category. There's going to be some overlap with the baking and menus threads so perhaps list one sweet and one savory that's a favorite with each family member?

Reactions: Minta

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Homemade pepperoni bread is a must the night before Thanksgiving and NYE.

Several cookies on my Dec baking list is a year must too along with the applesauce bread.

Reactions: PamelaG

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Vic's sweet and savory favorites are Date and Walnut Bread and the smoked salmon on the Christmas Eve buffet. Sophia loves fudge and marinated mushrooms and I am a fruitcake fan and love pimento-stuffed green olives. My blog post today gives a little history behind my love of green olives.

Reactions: Minta

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Sausage Breakfast Casserole and Cutout Sugar Cookies are my favorite! The kids seem to love Oreo Balls, PB Balls, and Gingerbread Men. Chad's favorite are Peanut Blossoms.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
As for sweets, I think Egg Nog, Candy Cane Ice Cream, Stollen and Springerle are family favorites. We only have them during the Christmas season. The savory one would be cocktail franks as that is a Christmas season treat too.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
My favourite sweet is the chocolate truffles that my mum has been making for every Christmas since 1964.
My favourite savory is the bread stuffing that mum puts inside the chicken. Something about this simple item just shouts Christmas to me.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
My favourite sweet is the chocolate truffles that my mum has been making for every Christmas since 1964.
My favourite savory is the bread stuffing that mum puts inside the chicken. Something about this simple item just shouts Christmas to me.
My Mum used to make amazing stuffing too. Wish I had thought to have her write down the recipe :(.

Reactions: sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
My Mum used to make amazing stuffing too. Wish I had thought to have her write down the recipe :(.
Pamela, here is Mum's recipe.

In a large bowl place about 1/2 loaf of stale white bread, crusts removed and torn into pieces.
1 small chopped onion, 1 1/2 good tablespoons of dried mixed herbs.
1 or (2 eggs if needed) added one at a time (you do not want sloppy stuffing)

Mix well and stuff into the cavity of the chicken or into a pocket of a beef roast.

Easy, but oh so good.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Pamela, here is Mum's recipe.

In a large bowl place about 1/2 loaf of stale white bread, crusts removed and torn into pieces.
1 small chopped onion, 1 1/2 good tablespoons of dried mixed herbs.
1 or (2 eggs if needed) added one at a time (you do not want sloppy stuffing)

Mix well and stuff into the cavity of the chicken or into a pocket of a beef roast.

Easy, but oh so good.
Thanks, I'll definitely give it a try!

Reactions: sweetpumkinpye

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
If you told my husband and son they could have only one thing to eat for Christmas it would be chicken soup. That is something my grandma always made. She made the best fine hand cut noodles. For me it would be sarma - stuffed cabbage. Sweet wise, Christmas morning cinnamon rolls. For cookies husband and son love my mother in-laws cut out cookies with frosting and me always my grandmas Christmas cookies.

Reactions: luludou

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
One of DH's favorite savories would be Sage Stuffing - simple homemade recipe! I try to make it at Christmas because we visit family for Thanksgiving and they have a tradition of Oyster Stuffing - which DH does NOT like - LOL

Sweet side for DH would be Chunky Chocolate Gob cookies (mix of chopped up Mounds candy bars, Oreos and choc chips in a chocolate dough - baked in a large size - 1/4 cup of dough per cookie!!!)

My favorite would be PW Mashed Potatoes and my favorite sweet is probably Espresso Snowcap cookies...

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Our favorite dish is Veal Cutlets on Christmas Eve.

As for sweets, the family loves my Cream Puffs and all the cookies I bake for the holiday.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
DH likes oreo truffle balls and pumpkin pie - for savory I'd say sausage gravy

DS likes chocolate chip cookies that I make year round and mashed potatoes

DDIL likes chocolate chip cookies and chicken soup

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Sweet side for DH would be Chunky Chocolate Gob cookies (mix of chopped up Mounds candy bars, Oreos and choc chips in a chocolate dough - baked in a large size - 1/4 cup of dough per cookie!!!)
Oh be still my heart. I do love a good cookie.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia

AJ. DS is hoping that you would care to share the recipe please.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I know! How more divine could a cookie that has chopped up Mounds bars (Bounty for you Katrina) in it be?
Yes Pamela. Bounty bars are my all time favourite chocolate bar.