Christmas Shopping & the Economy

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
The news today stated that the Canadian dollar is at it's lowest in 11 years. My first thought was, "How is this going to affect my Christmas shopping?"

I know, my brain doesn't work like other people's. :)

Anyway, this will make a big difference in how I do my shopping this year. For the last few years, I have done almost all of my shopping online. I have never had a problem shopping with US companies even ones that don't offer free shipping, but I won't be doing that anymore. I think I will be doing a lot more of my shopping locally this year and if I do order online, it will be with Canadian companies and they have to offer free shipping.

Any thoughts??

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I don't blame you Mel! It might be fun to change it up and shop locally. Do you have any neat, out of the way stores there? Or even thrift shops? I wouldn't want to pay more by shopping in the States if I lived elsewhere. Wish you luck my friend!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
The Australian dollar us down too. Won't affect my Christmas shopping too much, but it will affect our trip in May . Hopefully it rallies by then.

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
As i enjoy thrift store finds,our goodwill gets alot of nice things in,i have seen Hallmark ornaments still in the box some never opened and i myself got one for 2.00,and i bought my neighbor a nice cameo necklace in the box just 3.00,i've seen many wonderful things there.Nothing wrong with christmas shopping there,i have gotten a nice set of retro lights for the tree like new only 2.00,nothing wrong with saving a few cents.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I feel your pain on the Canadian dollar! I had a 10% off coupon at an American toy store. I wanted to get something that was $69.99. I figured, with my discount - not so bad -and they were throwing in a t-shirt. Anyways, it was a preorder, but by time they sent it our dollar tanked, and it cost me $110 by time it got here! Yikes! My own fault for not thinking about the dollar. Ended up costing me $5 more to buy it in the States than just buying it here.

I'm always so tempted with Amazon. The doll DD4 wanted sells for $38.99 in Canada, and $13.99 in the States. I found a nice tea set for $24.99, but it's cheaper to pay $50 for it in Canada than to pay the exchange and the border taxes.

Luckily, most of my Christmas shopping is finished at this point, and there are lots of good places to shop in Canada, but I'll definitely be keeping my money on this side of the border this year.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I know!! disastrous. Been waiting since January to do some China shopping for the stockings.... I did order last month a few things but it has to be a really low $$.
Mel, I ordered on the walmart.ca site 2 weeks ago and quite satisfied! I'm thinking with that and Amazon it might be ok. I know our prices are waaayyy higher than in the US.

For our vacation in the US... hotel was $500 US... cost us $700 canadian! yikes. Didn't buy much over there unless it was REALLY cheap or couldn't be found here. :(

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
I'm sorry you are all having to go through this. Is there anything we USA members can do to help?

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I'm sorry you are all having to go through this. Is there anything we USA members can do to help?

Yes, Ellen, there is.

If you could find a way to turn all of this nonsense around and make our dollar worth something, that would be great!! :D

Seriously, it will get better, just not sure if it will be anytime this year. In the meantime, you get to listen to us complain about it!!

Thanks for the offer.

p.a.

Premiere Member
Oct 31, 2007
I'm with Mel ,,,,this year it will have to be something I can't get here. But, I will start checking out little craft shows etc for unique stocking stuffers soon.
It drives me crazy that some stores actually show the American price and the canadian price on the price tag....that hurts!
The way the economy is right now it's time to tighten my belt and hang on for the bumpy ride.

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
Yowsers......that does stink. I am so sorry. Rooting for a rally for you.

Kelly

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
You have my sympathy-and like good OC/MHH'ers you have a plan! Sounds like a good one..since our US stock market is tanking, wonder what our economy will be doing in the next few weeks-geesh-feels like we just got over the last big mess...

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Last night I ordered $46 on a canadian site... + $12 shipping + taxes! Cost is $60.
How come from China it's free shipping and no taxes?? of course China site is charging USD, but still!

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Yes, no, maybe is the answer to will it affect my Christmas shopping. I have mostly completed what I need for this year. I do buy lots online but mostly from China and ebay sellers who give free postage. There are a few things that if I see I will pay for postage on. Our $ is as Katrina said not great at present.

The first time I went to the USA was in 1994. At that time the AU $ was the absolute lowest it has ever been about 60cents per $. I still found things cheaper there than here. I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

DS wears Ralph Loren polo shirts- last time I picked up a whole lot at an outlet centre for about $30-$35 US each- even with the exchange rate at the time I saved a heap as only one store here is allowed to sell them- and they can/ do charge between $100 AU to $115 AU per shirt.

I use Iherb a bit- their prices are good and they often have free postage- all my shampoo comes from there- we don't get the brand I like here- its lots cheaper for vitamins too!

Im not really a thrift shop visitor- although last year I went a bit- I was looking everywhere for an old fashioned heavy crystal ashtray (very 60's traditional) -I wanted it to but candy on the coffee table with and they just don't make ashtrays any more- I picked up a great one for about $5.