Christmas Tea

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Here's another 2008 event: a Christmas Tea and ornament exchange...haven't picked a theme yet but it will be a tea on either a Saturday or Sunday afternoon...still looking at possible dates. Ladt year someone mentioned a Victorian Christmas and I thought that might be fun but I am still pondering the actual theme and set up etc...so throw some suggestions my way if you are so inclined!!!

Last edited:

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
The thing I like about the Christmas Tea idea is that you could host it in late afternoon and into the early evening so it gives a different time frame...since others are often busy with evening parties in December but a Sunday afternoon would work for a tea where it wouldn't usually work for a late night party.

I like the Victorian Christmas theme but am not sure about decor and stuff....so I need to think about this more as my goal this year is to NOT buy more stuff but use what I have !!!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Bumping so I can add more details

patteemom

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Idaho
The women of our family always do a holiday tea. We use to do it on Christmas Eve as a break for the ladies. After awhile it became too hard to get everyone together on Christmas Eve and to just host the event. No one wanted to see the tea end so we moved it to New Years Day. Most of us get that day off anyway and it is something fun to look forward to after Christmas and we can share clearance goodies. It is nice having something just for the women of the family.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Patteemom - having a tea on New Years' Day is brilliant! Aren't the men always watching football games on that day? So - a perfect time for the women to get out! Also - babysitters should be available on that day. :happynewyear:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I like the New Year's Day idea too! We seldom go out on New Year's Eve, so it would be something fun to look forward to.

Ginger-have you decided on your theme yet? I had a Victorian Tea theme planned last year but my party got cancelled due to lack of interest in my Sunday school class. I'm not going to be teaching this fall, so I need to decide if I want to do a tea for my friends or just let it go this year. It's fun to plan and do, though...

patteemom

Retire Member
Oct 15, 2007
Idaho
We have done a few tea's at our church. I think a Victorian tea would be beautiful, the only thing you have to be careful about is some ladies worry about how to act when things start to get fancy. If you are like us you could care less about proper manners you just want the ladies to enjoy the time together.
A Christmas tea the was popular for us was Christmas Traditons.
We had a few ladies "host" a table. They were responsible for the table setting and had to create a center piece that represented a family Christmas tradition. Then during the tea they shared what that Tradition was, after that anyone who wanted to share had a chance.

When I first read your post the theme that jumped in my head was Christmas Bobbles. I know it sounds kinda funny but you could decorate totaly with ornaments.

Oh I know A Timeless Christmas.
You can have Christmas decorations from different periods in time.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Luludou -- these quick breads sound delicious!! And they are different from the run-of-the-mill kind I usually make. Thank you for this great link!! :applause:

printersdevil

Retire Member
Sep 19, 2008
playingdishes.blogspot.com
The ladies at the church I belong to do a Holiday Tea in November. I have always wanted to attend, but am not too active and never have. It is called The Gift. They invite X number of guests each and each participant decorates their table with holiday arrangements and brings their own dishes and glassware. I have seen the pictures and it is beautiful.

I am so glad to have seen this today, I am going to send out some feelers and see if I can get invited this year. It would be so much fun.

On another side of the holiday party idea. A group of teacher friends have an annual ornament exchange. The same one hosts it each year and they get together after work on a Friday and have margaritas and drinks and chips and dips and an ornmaent exchange.

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
I'm planning a Christmas Tea for my quilting group. One of us has a Dec. birthday, so a birthday cake is always included. I do this every year, and I'm hesitant to call it a tea, since it's at about 10:00AM. It's a little more formal than just getting together for coffee, though. More like the "Coffee" of my military officer's wife days. Could the UK ladies tell us just what is meant my "elevenses"? Maybe that's what I'm really having!

Noelsmommy

Santa's Elves
This is not the same thing, but I am having a "Christmas Tea" for my daughter and her preschool friends. I am just doing tea sandwhiches and scones and bringing out the nice Christmas china. I think Santa will come and bring a small gift to each of the children.

Any other ideas would be welcome!

Kelly :)