Coronavirus discussion...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AuntJamelle, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom Well-Known Member

I understand that feeling of going inward. I'm really working on finding things that I can do that make me happy or smile.

I've been watching that governor for a few weeks now. I agree with you. It's not the New Yorkers. It's any one that traveled to Florida or returned to Florida during that time frame at the beginning of March that had COVID-19 and didn't know it. I wonder how many Floridians went to Mardi Gras? How many Floridians traveled to New York? We know that tons of people came from all over the world to go to Disney. Miami International is a main airport for flights to and from Italy as well as South America.

Sometime I wonder if the politicians run for the fame and glory of the title but don't want to work for the people who elected them. I am not fond of my governor on a bunch of things and that's putting it nicely. However, I feel like he is doing his best to save lives by closing things down. But the people who live here are acting like a bunch of little kids who don't like being told what to do.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  2. Holiday_Mom

I went out for groceries at a different store much further away today. We made it 8 days before the produce and milk needed to get replenished. People were there but not many. There were signs on the floor 6 ft. apart as a reminder to social distance. There were limits on eggs and canned goods. I had a list of things to get but I ended up getting a lot more. Things that were gone from the shelves last week were available at this store. I decided to pick those items right then and there.

My sister-in-law's mother was tested on Sunday, March 22nd. Her test results came back today, 11 days later. She does have COVID-19. She has been fever free for 4 days now. Today she went off the oxygen. We are hoping that she continues to improve each day. We've had our suspicions that my father-in-law had COVID-19. He didn't go for testing though. I'm concerned for my mother-in-law now. We are hoping that she makes it fever free to 14 April, two weeks after my father-in-law was fever free.

3. frostythesnowman

frostythesnowman Active Member

Good morning/afternoon peeps...Quick update from the UK....38,168 have tested positive for corona virus and sadly another 684 people have died overnight...Bringing the total number of deaths in the UK to 3,605..please stay safe and healthy peeps.

4. halimer

halimer Well-Known Member

Mary - thank you for understanding my rant - it helps.

Managed to do most of my shopping yesterday - but no eggs! What do you mean no eggs! Glad to hear that family members are doing well

Stay safe Frosty. My BFF lives in Stockport and her family is well and coping - as are we all

5. DahliaDoll

DahliaDoll Well-Known Member

I just discovered that our local county property taxes due date will be extended from April 30 to June 1 due to Covid-19. That will help us tremendously as we strive to curtail expenses.

6. PamelaG

PamelaG Moderator Staff Member

Another day, another increase, 6585 cases, 262 deaths. Longing for the day when the cases number is the same as the day before and stays that way. Washington's Shelter at Home has been extended to May 4. I'm going back to work, Mondays only, and with a mask. I'm not onboard with gloves at all since as soon as you touch something with a glove on, it will be transferred to the next thing you touch. Constant hand washing and sanitizing is the way to go. But masks are a different matter, they protect others if I cough or sneeze (too frequent now that spring seasonal allergy time has come) and they protect me if someone coughs or sneezes near me. I'll be marking the floor six feet from my desk with a taped line and asking everyone to please stay behind the line.

Holiday_Mom likes this.
  7. missjane

missjane Well-Known Member

10,297 confirmed cases in Louisiana
    370 deaths

8. teachermomof2

teachermomof2 Santa's Elves

As of today at noon in Pennsylvania:
    53,695 negative
    8,420 positive
    102 deaths

9. teachermomof2

teachermomof2 Santa's Elves

I went to Aldi, Walmart and Dollar General today. The only things I didn't get were tp and yeast. I also wanted more hand soap, but the limit was 1 at Walmart and there were literally only 3 on the shelf. I prefer foaming soap, so I got one and then came home and ordered soap from BBW. I paid more than I wanted, but with 5 sinks and 4 people doing a lot of handwashing, it really is a necessity. I didn't find laundry santizer, but that was a want more than a need.

Now my school district has decided on online learning...not sure why I did 40 day packets for 7 hours this week, but now I have to do online stuff as well. We do not know what will be expected, as the letter was vague. I'm not comfortable with video teaching. I could go on, but I'll spare you.

Lots of people out and about. I didn't see any young children, so that was good.

Holiday_Mom likes this.
  10. DahliaDoll

DahliaDoll Well-Known Member

The masks also help keep you from touching your own face. Very important. Great idea to mark the floor around your work space!

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  11. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

6101 cases and 61 deaths (major increase in deaths but it's because some people were tested afterwards they weren't sure it was covid-19)

Holiday_Mom and Ahorsesoul like this.
  12. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Santa's Elves

Wisconsin ...with a population approximately 5 million
    22,377 tested negative
    1,916 tested positive
    487 in the hospital which is 25% of the positive tested
    37 deaths

I do not think we have even hit the midway point yet.
    Now they are talking about everyone wearing masks when out. Should have already been doing that and gloves in my mind.

Holiday_Mom and luludou like this.
  13. MrsSoup

MrsSoup Well-Known Member

We are now at 319 cases with 3 deaths. Up 34 cases from yesterday. I'm going to see if we have bandanas laying around and make no-sew masks from those. I checked out the patterns and unless I have a video i'm not sure I can pull it off without winging it and I don't have all of the materials. I'm sure I could put something together but I am not an avid sewer. We do have scarves and those would work too. Not that we leave the house really. The kids don't leave at all, they have only been to the Shoppette a couple times and not recently. DS had ordered novelty cloth masks a very long time ago so he has a few of those. I'm not sure I really plan on going out anymore though, may just send DH from now on.

14. frostythesnowman

frostythesnowman Active Member

Good morning/afternoon peeps....Quick update from the UK...41,913 have tested positive for corona virus and sadly 708 have died overnight bringing the total number of deaths in the UK to 4,313..Please stay safe and healthy peeps.

15. p.a.

p.a. Active Member

There is a huge concern for long term care homes here. A smaller one closer to me has had 21 deaths out of 65 residents. The workers are just devastated. 1/3 of the workers have tester positive. A lot of the residents have dementia and the masks on workers are terrifying them. Boy my heart breaks for all of them and the families who cant be with them.

16. Holiday_Mom

We're suppose to wear masks now too. I'm not a sewer. I just do small things that I can hand stitch while watching tv. I had cut apart some old denim shorts to save for a project. I'm using that now to make a mask. I'm the only one doing the grocery shopping so I'm hoping one mask is good enough. I may keep disposable gloves in the car for when I do shopping. The grocery stores do not have wipes available for the cart handles. So far, I've remembered to bring the wipes with me but I can see myself forgetting it one of these days. The key is to remember to bring wipes or to remember to take the gloves off properly. :rolleyes:

Ahorsesoul and MrsSoup like this.
  17. luludou

PA that is sad... 513 elderly homes in our province our touched with the virus.

today 6997 cases with 75 deaths. In our little corner seems there are 5 cases.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  18. Minta

Minta Administrator Staff Member

We keep a container of wipes in both vehicles so we don't forget. Plus it makes it easier to wash your hands off after coming out of a store

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  19. luludou

so now if more than 2 people you aren't allowed unless you live under the same roof and they are closing off more regions. Which means, ds cannot come to our house nor dd. If she wanted to come she'd have to come TODAY, but she might be called in to work - she needs to reach her doctor to get an exemption because of her health problems.

Told dd - either you come today or we'll see you at some point this summer! :(

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  20. MrsSoup

MrsSoup Well-Known Member

We are now up to 351 cases and 4 deaths, seems a death a day now. DH was talking about going out grocery shopping and I have no desire to go. He's more than welcome to. I'm not feeling good at the moment as it is so i'm not leaving the house. We don't need much, he wants some more fruit and we still need hamburger if there is any to be found. I have a small list of things but nothing pressing, aside from the meat. He is more than welcome to go if he wants to.

Ahorsesoul likes this.