Coronavirus discussion...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AuntJamelle, Mar 11, 2020.

1. PamelaG

PamelaG Moderator Staff Member

Tried to get a pick-up at Fred Meyer, the first available date was Saturday, April 11 and while I was filling my cart, that date disappeared and there won't be any more posted until tomorrow. Grr, I think I will just go to the store on my way home from work and when I get home, I'll throw my clothes in the washer, shower, and disinfect the groceries. I.can't.even. You couldn't make this stuff up, hard to imagine we are living this way.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  2. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

Things seem to be easing up here a bit. Meat and milk seems to be appearing in the shops again. Still no TP and that is becoming the "joke" of this whole thing. I have seen on Facebook etc though that if people are really running short other folks are donating a roll or two.
    They are limiting the amount of people allowed in the shop to 10. The social distancing seems to be flattening the curve so I am happy with whatever they want to implement to help us all get through this.
    They are saying that the restrictions will be in place for at least 6 months so that takes us to September or October. Remembering that we are entering Winter here so we have that to contend with as well.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  3. PamelaG

PamelaG Moderator Staff Member

Projections for Washington are that cases will peak in mid-April and then slowly taper off to mid-July. Boggles the mind that they can even begin to estimate such things!

4. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Santa's Elves

We are talking about putting in a garden this year. We gave up veggie gardening when we moved to our town. We were going to the farmers market but we think there still might be virus problems this summer. While the neighbors were mapping out where to put their pool we were looking at garden space. Anyone else thinking long range with this problem?

MrsSoup and Holiday_Mom like this.
  5. Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom Well-Known Member

I'm rethinking what is necessary and what is just nice to have. I'm going to make up a list of those items that are necessary to me. I want to make sure that we have them on hand. Typically, I restock cold and flu items in September. This year, I want to do this in July and August. I'm beginning to wonder if this is going to be a lot longer than we could fathom. I read recently that it took until about 1920 for things to settle from the 1918 Spanish Flu.

Ahorsesoul and girlsinmo like this.
  6. sweetpumkinpye

Mary, we are always looking ahead and it serves us well. I stocked up on tissues, cold and flu meds for this Winter a few months back, I always try to have a stock pile of things on hand.

Ahorsesoul, girlsinmo and Holiday_Mom like this.
  7. frostythesnowman

frostythesnowman Active Member

Good morning/afternoon peeps...Quick update from the UK....47,806 have tested positive for corona virus and sadly another 621 people have died overnight...Bringing the total number of deaths in the UK to 4,934..please stay safe and healthy peeps.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  8. Minta

Minta Administrator Staff Member

I bought a bunch of seeds a few weeks ago. Going to get some going this weekend and will get another round going in about 6 weeks so I can have crops ate different. I have to go back to walmart this week to get my moms prescription, they have their fruit trees/bushes available in the parking lot, going to see of they have any blueberry ones. We already have a few raised garden beds and I am thinking about ordering a couple metal ones from amazon.

We are thinking about getting one of those above ground pools you get at walmart and put one in the yard for the kids this summer since the lake we are members of is closed until further notice.

9. MrsSoup

MrsSoup Well-Known Member

They started a Farm-to-Car service here. Instead of going out to farmers markets you sign up on the website and order what you want online and then swing through the site and pick up your preordered/prepaid produce on the designated day. That way the farmers are still in business and you still get your fresh produce. Now that we are going to be here for another year I have been thinking about growing some things though. We can't plant in the ground so everything has to be in containers.

10. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

We always have a big garden----last 3 yrs. we haven't really gotten much due to deer and have always gardened here---and I told Allen there might be a run on seeds and plants this year with everybody trying to grow their own stuff. Told him that 3 weeks ago. We always get seeds early in the season and Allen got plants on Friday. Saturday a lady said she had been to the greenhouse on Friday and heard them talking of maybe shutting down and delivering plants and flowers to people when they order.

To wet to put anything into ground yet here.

11. halimer

halimer Well-Known Member

We've had gardens in the past at home in NY and could do one again but I figure by the time we get back everything will be bought out.

Things may be peaking in NY but then there will be one in FL that we will probably get stuck in. Cuomo is looking a bit ragged these days.

Overall depressing

12. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

7944 cases and 94 deaths.
    DH wanted me to go get tested (not as easy as it seems... don't think I would be in the priorities).. because I have had fever last 2 nights and still coughing. ... nope staying here .
    Non essential businesses were to be closed until april 13th... pushed back to may 4th

13. Holiday_Mom

I like that farm to car idea. I wonder if they will be doing that around here.

My brother grew tomatoes and jalapeno peppers in 5 gallon buckets that he picked up at Lowes or Home Depot. I've bought plastic pots at Walmart and Home Depot in their garden center. Some had to have holes drilled into them. Last year, I went at the end of May and there were hardly any of the really big ones left.

14. Holiday_Mom

Oh no... (((Hugs))) Since you are familiar with Dr. Axe, I thought you might be interested in the following link regarding herbs. https://scienceandartofherbalism.co...enza-like-illness-in-the-event-of-a-pandemic/

I don't know if this will help but I had a nasty cough 4 weeks ago with no fever. I made ginger tea from ginger root. I also put dried thyme in a mug of hot water and gently inhaled the steam. I drank warm water and tea throughout the day for the next 5 days while also taking cough medicine.

I hope you feel better soon.

Ahorsesoul, luludou and girlsinmo like this.
  15. girlsinmo

girlsinmo Well-Known Member

I've been thinking about planting a few things in containers. First will have to get plants or seeds and containers? Anyone know what would be good to put out soon?

Ahorsesoul and frostythesnowman like this.
  16. girlsinmo

Lucie please take a look at the short video I have on my FB page. They used this technique to help my son years ago when he had double Pneumonia It is still effective..

Ahorsesoul and luludou like this.
  17. frostythesnowman

frostythesnowman Active Member

Hey girlsinmo...For growing right now potatoes and carrots are awesome for growing in containers...Lots of sites on FB to choose from for ideas in growing fruit/veg in containers.

18. girlsinmo

Thank you. Hopefully we'll be able to get our supplies and grow a few things at least.

teachermomof2 and Ahorsesoul like this.
  19. teachermomof2

teachermomof2 Santa's Elves

Lucie...hope you feel better soon! You've been coughing and not well for awhile. Maybe dh is right and you need a test!

Today's stats for PA:
    66,261 negative
    11,510 positive
    150 deaths

7 cases in my county.

I'm still surprised by the number of people NOT following the stay at home orders.

We garden here, as well. It's still early to start things here, as we are in zone 5 and the weather isn't quite ready for planting. Using mid-late May is when the garden gets planted, depending on the seasonal trends.

Stay safe, stay well, stay home!

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  20. sweetpumkinpye

We had a run on seeds and plants here a few weeks back and the garden centres were running low of supplies. You cannot find potting mix at the moment. Once again if you see stuff now and think you might need it grab it rather than miss out. I am not advocating panic buying just buying things that you need when you see them.

Ahorsesoul and teachermomof2 like this.