Coronavirus discussion...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by AuntJamelle, Mar 11, 2020.

1. Minta

Minta Administrator Staff Member

For those of you looking to do container gardens we have done those in the past using the large storage totes. Drill drainage holes in the bottom, placed a layer of stones about 1 to 2 inches deep and then the soil on top. Worked great for peppers, tomatoes and carrots.

2. DahliaDoll

DahliaDoll Well-Known Member

We heard a reporter on the news last night state that we should reach the peak in numbers in the coming week. DH and I both thought he reported it like it was a bad thing. In a way it is, but we can't get past it till we reach do reach a peak, so it sounded somewhat positive to us.

Minta, Ahorsesoul and girlsinmo like this.
  3. frostythesnowman

frostythesnowman Active Member

Awesome information Minta...For potatoes you just need to drill holes at the bottom for drainage...cover bottom with 3 or 4 inches deep of compost then pop your seed potaotes in and cover again with 3 or 4 inches soil and as the foilage appears cover with compost till you get to the top of the container and then water well:p

Minta, Ahorsesoul and girlsinmo like this.
  4. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

2020-04-06 Qbc: 8580 cases (up 636), 121 deaths (pu 27), 533 hospitalised and of that number 164 are in ICU.

Minta and Ahorsesoul like this.
  5. teachermomof2

teachermomof2 Santa's Elves

PA Update as of noon:

70,874 negative
    12,980 positive
    162 deaths

12 more deaths overnight, 140 more positives.

6. frostythesnowman

Good afternoon/evening peeps...Quick update from the UK....51,608 have tested positive for corona virus and sadly another 439 people have died overnight...Bringing the total number of deaths in the UK to 5373..please stay safe and healthy peeps.

7. MrsSoup

MrsSoup Well-Known Member

We are now at 387 cases and 5 deaths. I thought we'd be closer to 400 if not at that number today based on how it's been climbing lately. I saw where it's been suggested by that female doctor always on the Presidents briefings not to even grocery shop if you can help it right now. People still have to eat and get medicine.

8. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

We had some good news in the last 24 hours. No new cases in our city and 40 or so have recovered. In no way are we in the clear but we will take good news when we can. I am sure that restrictions will stay in place for many months yet.
    They are advising here to do any Easter shopping early is possible to lessen the people at the stores later in the week. Mum and I will do a quick shop tomorrow, essentials only, no browsing.
    Take care all, speak soon.

Minta, Ahorsesoul and luludou like this.
  9. PamelaG

PamelaG Moderator Staff Member

Alarming news about the Prime Minister, hope he pulls through.

10. PamelaG

PamelaG Moderator Staff Member

7984 positive cases and 338 deaths in Washington. First death in our county, an elderly gentleman with underlying health conditions. Schools are closed for the 2019-2020 academic year and all non-essential construction now moved to at least May 4.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  11. GrammaDeb

GrammaDeb Well-Known Member

Dsil went shopping this morning, with his new face mask. 75% of the shoppers in Costco wore masks, only 10% had masks at the grocery store near us. This afternoon the governor told us to wear masks at the grocery store and pharmacy. Dsil is proud to be prepared.

A school police officer at our local school lunch drop off place (a couple miles from us) got sick, and the school district shut it down while they clean. I think 3 of the workers are sick now. We haven't heard if they have tested positive. Fortunately dgkids don't participate in the lunch program.

Our state got a late start, but our numbers are rising at an alarming rate.

12. frostythesnowman

Indeed PamelaG...This corona virus is starting to freak the both of us out bigtime....God bless everyone.

Ahorsesoul and Minta like this.
  13. frostythesnowman

Good afternoon/evening peeps...Quick update from the UK....55,242 have tested positive for corona virus and sadly another 786 people have died overnight...Bringing the total number of deaths in the UK to 6,159..please stay safe and healthy peeps.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  14. GrammaDeb

GrammaDeb Well-Known Member

Our little corner of Las Vegas has felt "safe," but no longer. One of the grocery store employees tested positive. It was bound to happen...but that's not good. They already have plexiglass barriers in place and signs on the floor for distancing, and they will now supply masks to all the employees.

Dsil checks every time he goes out for items like bleach, hand sanitizer, etc. Today he scored on bleach and gloves, to replace what we are currently using. Fresh produce is plentiful, as are milk, bread, and almost everything food-related. Paper products and cleaning supplies are iffy.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  15. teachermomof2

Tuesday PA Update:
    76,719 negative
    14,559 positive
    240 deaths, including 1 in our county, which now has 7 cases overall.

John scored tp at Aldi after work yesterday. It's like 12 rolls, so we should be good for awhile. Couldn't find parchment paper for baking there, so I'll have to make due without it when baking. I'd like more wipes, but will probably make my own with paper towels. The state is suggesting that we don't go to the stores for 2 weeks...and just stay home. I'm trying to stick to that.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  16. MrsSoup

MrsSoup Well-Known Member

We are at 410 cases today. I figured we would be over 400 today or tomorrow. They are cracking down on violators of the stay at home order. People are getting citations and warnings left and right. I heard someone got a ticket for being inside their car with their kids eating and watching the sunset. I think that's a bit ridiculous considering they are definitely social distancing and not on the beach, whereas people are still trying to hang out on the beach itself and having parties in neighborhoods and hanging out in the alleys outside close to each other and not practicing social distancing, like our neighbors down the alley. They are still at it almost every night. All on top of each other partying like they are exempt from this virus. :rolleyes: Drives me nuts. I hope an MP drives through one evening and gives them all tickets.

teachermomof2 and Ahorsesoul like this.
  17. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

9340 cases (up 760), 150 deaths (up 29).
    they gave best and worst case scenarios... best is still 1500 deaths... alot!
    here people are calling police as soon as you are more than 2 or not social distancing.

We stopped at ds' house tonight and stayed farther off, dropped off a gift (can't drink his wine for 3 days until virus is dead if there is any on it :) ). will transfer some $$ and that'll be his gift since we can't go shopping.
    I did put in a roll of toilet paper in his bag with a shirt :)

18. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

Just back from the supermarket. They are counting how many are coming in and out of the store and you are not allowed in until given the go ahead. Lots missing of the shelves today. No cheese, eggs, not a lot of meat, and no seafood!!! 2 days before Good Friday and there is no fresh fish. That was a shock to me. Limits still on plenty of items and no specials. I spent more than what I normally do and got not as much.

We have just recorded the 50th death in Australia, I think that makes 30 people who came off one cruise ship, very sad.
    The news is our curve seems to be decreasing so they are determined to keep going with the social distancing and the strict measures we have in place.

Holiday_Mom, luludou and Ahorsesoul like this.
  19. frostythesnowman

Good morning/afternoon peeps...Quick update from the UK....55,242 have tested positive for corona virus and sadly another 828 people have died overnight...Bringing the total number of deaths in the UK to 6,483..please stay safe and healthy peeps.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  20. teachermomof2

Today in PA
    82,299 negative
    16,239 positive
    310 deaths
    9 cases in my county, still 1 death.

Ahorsesoul and Holiday_Mom like this.