Crafters Challenge April 16th-22nd, 2017

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
So sorry for the late start on this weeks thread!!!!!!!!

I hope you all enjoyed Easter rather it be with family, friends or a nice day to yourself.

I really need to decide on my CIJ ornament, so hoping to get that picked out this week.

What are your plans?

To be another nice week so I am hoping to help clean in garage or shed this week in the evenings.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007

Greetings!

Happy Easter!

And no problems with the late start Lana. I know everyone is busy with Easter events. DH and I took a hike at Snoqualmie Falls and got to Skype with DDs and DGDs!

What I need to do this week is to get Iris’ gift and card wrapped and mailed.

Other crafts for this week may include:

• Creative U seminar (Thursday)
  • Wander quilt
  • Wedding afghan
  • Machine embroidery butterflies
  • Machine embroidery Seahawks logo
  • CCS motifs for Mother’s Day cards
  • Pick up quilting discs at Quality Sewing
  • Take sewing machine to the shop

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Happy Easter to all.

I really need to go in a different direction this week so I can get something done. I think kids have one meet and one game so were good there this week.

I finally opened my cricut today and played with that most of the day

-Figure out what shirts I am using for Kenny's t-shirt quilt and start deciding what is going to go where, he has quite a few that say Champion on the back I would like to use those as well, from different invitationals.

-get picture frames from dollar store and see how fast they can order me more

-Senior night gifts x12

Senior night coaches gifts
-clip boards x2
-water bottle (Not only am I the cross country and track coach, but I was Kenny's coach lets assume I know it all) is what we decided to put on it
-t-shirt (Am I a slow runner or is everyone Kenny) one of his coaches runs marathons and has a shirt something like this except it says Kenya everyone says it should be changed to Kenny so we are making him one. Kenny wants something so this coach (whom is in his first year coaching) will never forget him. Not that he will he they are friends and were before he got the coaching job.
-something to the effect (we are thinking maybe tile) that says " my first year as cross country coach, Kenny took me to states"

-cut 30 tree's with cricut for my brothers wine bottles for his wedding

-get with friend to see what she wants cut for her wine bottles for her wedding so I can give her price and get those done and over with

- mothers day gifts with my niece and Kayla either Friday or Saturday

Extras will be
work on felt food
finish nieces tulle wreath
finish wreath I started Friday ran out of tulle and have to get more

I am excited I think I just figured out how to get back on my blog lets see if this post works on it or not

Last edited:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer

-Figure out what shirts I am using for Kenny's t-shirt quilt and start deciding what is going to go where, he has quite a few that say Champion on the back I would like to use those as well, from different invitationals.
I've never made a quilt so this might now work. Can you use the back of the shirts for the backing of the quilt. Would be cool if it is possible. One day I'm making a quilt for DGS with his little t-shirts. I've started saving them.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Happy Dyngus Day! :)

Finished another knitted washcloth last night! Still have one of my tissue box covers in progress so I'll probably work on finishing that this week. We'll see how it goes! I am WIPED out from this past weekend!

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
I was told it is not a good idea to back the quilt with the t-shirts by someone that was my plan. I have been searching for some sort of deal on running fleece to back it with figured it would be much warmer in a cold dorm room. It is going to cost a fortune by what I am seeing so just may have to use material which I am finding what I want is quite pricey too. Our problem is when he is in the top twenty for any cross country invitational and top three in track invitationals he gets a tee-shirt most are med or large never small which he wears he has over 50 of these that will never get worn. He also has at least 100 that we have bought at different invitationals also plus all his sectional shirts 3 seasons for 6 years. Road races he gets shirts part of registration fee. He really has enough shirts to make at least 4 tee-shirt quilts. I am doing this for part of his graduation gift. I wanted two sided to fit more tee-shirts on it.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

Kim and AJ ~ I think using tee shirts on the back of the quilt wouldn't be any harder than using fleece. The problem is the stretch. If you planned to tie the quilt, I think it would work just fine. If you're going to be quilting by machine, you would want to be sure there was stabilizer on the back of each one whether it was on the front or the back. I've never made one, but I'll bet there is a ton of information on the internet.

Kim ~ For shirts that don't make the quilt "cut", be sure to at least take a picture of them ... maybe you could make a collage of tee-shirt quilts around his senior picture. What a touching story on your blog about your DBro's friend. I love the tribute of his picture in the car's number!

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
DD thank you he was a great man and was family to all of us. His wife and kids will always be our family. As for the extra tshirts I am sure they remain his main shirts to wear daily. I already have my uncle working on a huge shadowbox for him for awards, varsity letters, ribbons, metals and such plus I have to order the stuff for scrapbook for the rest of his running stuff and pictures. Went to buy him a t shirt yesterday at his meet yesterday but they were too big for him he said dont worry I won two of them for winning two races. He ended up giving one of them to one of his friends on the girls team

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Kim, my mom purchases flat bed sheets for her quilts. She removes the all the stitching and the uses that material as the binding.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

I got Iris' birthday presents and card wrapped and mailed with DH's assistance. Hope she gets it in time.

I got a little carried away this morning. I thought I'd just sew the last few quilt row seams ... once that was done I thought I'd just cut and sew the backing to be sure I had enough fabric ... then I thought I'd just make the binding so it would be ready ... then I thought I'd go ahead and try the idea of using spray starch for temporary basting, since I'm very low on my temporary basting spray (and it's quite expensive), and low-and-behold, the quilt is all sandwiched and ready to be quilted once I decide how I want to do it. What I did not do is take my machine in to have it fixed (I was too hard on it with the beads, and the needle threader isn't working and it's making a kind of clunking sound). When I get there with my machine, they are also holding something for me that I ordered. At this point though, I think it's too late in the day ... well ... maybe not ... DH might run me over.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Jody I have done that before with a quilt. I personally have my heart set on finding the running fleece or material for the backing. I am however running out of time since I need this when he graduates in June. I don't know what I am going to do if I can't find some at a decent price.

I had Kenny go thru t-shirts today again he has three drawers full one fits/and he wears daily
one that someday will fit and one that will never fit but he wants to keep (unfortunately there are only 4 different ones out of these shirts which one of each will be used). Looks like I am going to just keep taking one by one and telling him I have no clue where they went to, like I have been doing. I guess he plans on gaining some weight to be able to fit into a drawer full of medium shirts, I don't think that will happen when most of his small shirts are big on him

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
J
I had Kenny go thru t-shirts today again he has three drawers full one fits/and he wears daily
one that someday will fit and one that will never fit but he wants to keep (unfortunately there are only 4 different ones out of these shirts which one of each will be used). Looks like I am going to just keep taking one by one and telling him I have no clue where they went to, like I have been doing. I guess he plans on gaining some weight to be able to fit into a drawer full of medium shirts, I don't think that will happen when most of his small shirts are big on him

Sometimes events have extra shirts from previous years. Maybe if you ask around you will find some.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

Kim ~ Good luck with the shirts! Can you get what you want at JoAnns with a coupon? Sometimes you can use a coupon and have another coupon for an additional 20% off your entire purchase.

I did get the sewing machine to the shop. They said it could take 3 weeks as they have staff on vacation. Thankfully, I have my other machine to sew with. I used it yesterday to quilt a small table topper (cute chickadee print). I also got out another UFO quilt (the Moda Terrain) out to measure and brainstorm how to finish. I think I want to add two more rows of quilt blocks and then maybe a small border. It’s nearly queen size.

I got my hair cut and colored as well as a pedicure yesterday, so there was some knitting time put in while getting the color and the pedicure. Then did some CCS in the evening.

Today I’m going to Creative U with Kathy, and will be looking for some binding fabric for the chickadee table topper and see what mischief we can get into. We sure have a good time together.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I made a get well card for DS - it took 2 days since I'm such a perfectionist and out of practice. DH loves to help since he gets to use "his" cricut. Got the card in the mail yesterday. I need to make several birthday cards, and I'm looking at CCS patterns for motifs. Need to get started on those.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

GrammaDeb ~ Are you doing CCS for greeting cards? I love doing those but they are very time consuming.

I had a great time with a friend yesterday. I’m trying to inspire her to get back to sewing on some of her UFO quilts. She mostly does CCS and knitting. Got in some knitting during the seminar.

I found fabric to bind the chickadee table topper, came home, ironed it and cut it into strips, and packed it up to take to the lake. I also packed up some of the squares needed to complete a couple more rows on the Moda Terain quilt, so have those with me, too. I bought three other pieces of fabric: one to put on my ironing board to try to keep my cover in better shape when I’m using spray starch; one to use for scraps when I want to experiment with free motion quilting or make a prototype of something; and one just because it loved me (and it was on the sale table).

We also checked out a new-to-us quilt store in the area, and I bought a fat quarter of fabric to do something with for Iris (it had peace signs on it).

So last night I kitted up the floss needed for a couple of CCS motifs for Mother’s Day cards, and made a list of a couple colors I needed to pick up on our way out of town this morning. And I nearly finished my WIP CCS motif. I just need to add some Colonial knots (alternative to French knots).

Did quite a bit of knitting on the wedding afghan on our 3+ hour drive to the lake. Weather was sunny and warm for our drive and beautiful when we reached our destination.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Ahorsesoul- I wish I could we are only at these places once a year and with it being his senior year will not be back to them. He is the only one on his team that has ever one t shirts in the past three years. He will be fine once he finds out what I am doing, I will try and use mainly the ones that are big on him but will leave enough if he ever can fit into them

DJ can't get at Joann's have looked online and everytime I am in the store I look, it would be so much cheaper if I could.

Again nothing done on my list but my niece was here and we did craft today. I picked up the clipboards was going to do them tonight but seeing that I now can't figure out where I put my black vinyl that has to wait until tomorrow to be cut. I do plan on getting design done for friends wedding things tonight also. Cut one tree to see what size my brother wanted so I just have to cut 29 more of them out. Now He wants letters to spell out last name for bigger wine bottles so I need to look for fonts tonight also.
Getting ready to put the things we made today on my blog

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I have been working on my CIJ ornaments. I like them so much glad I included myself. :)

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

Chickadee topper for wicker chest is done. I look forward to going home so I can see how it looks on the chest and enjoy it whenever I walk by. I also got the two additional rows sewn to the Moda Terrain quilt and figured out what I'd like to do for borders. When I get home, I will see if I have enough fabric. Actually, I'm sure I have enough fabric for the borders, but don't know if that will leave me enough for the backing. If not, I'll probably get different fabric for the backing.

I'm also making quite good progress on the wedding afghan.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
MissJoDee, every year now I keep one ornament for myself when I make gifts. I hadn't the first year and had to redo one afterwards. My mom also wants one every year.