Crafters Challenge August 27th-September 2nd 2017

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Another month is upon us and about 4 months till Christmas!

You are all making progress on your projects.

I am collecting the fabrics I need. Hoping by my October vacation that I can be sewing and this outside cleaning crap will be done! Or the major part of it!

What are your plans for this week?

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I hope to cut out remaining craft items so I can start putting things together. I want to make it a goal to sit and sew/craft for an hour every day.

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
Miss JoDee , that is a great idea. It is amazing what just one hour will accomplish. I think I am going to have to steal that idea.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

You're absolutely right about spending a little time each day. Often when I just get myself started, I find I spend more time than anticipated. An object in motion ...

I made much more crafting progress yesterday than all of last week! I worked on some Christmas pillow shams that I want to give DD#2 for her October birthday. They are cut from a panel that I'm adding borders to. I think they will coordinate nicely with her bedroom quilt and add some Christmas decor to the bedroom with little fuss. The sham fronts are ready to be sandwiched for quilting, but I will need to get some backing fabric at JoAnns.

And I got back to working on the felt kit Christmas stocking for Julia.

I signed up for a ruler-work class to experiment with feathers. It will be on September 9.

I do want to find a CCS motif for DD#2’s BD card as well. I should find something to take to work on at the lake (going for Labor Day plus a few extra days). It's so wonderfully quiet and peaceful after Labor Day!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Nice gift for DD. The class sounds interesting! The lake get away sounds AMAZING! Peaceful quiet and water.

Jody, I like the hour a day ideal but won't get to it any time soon!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
An hour a day sounds great to me! Thinking it would be a better idea than my current browse of Pinterest time.
I have several gifts to start for Christmas - so that would speed the process along nicely!

I have Friday off this week - so I am planning on picking up the wool in the afternoon to begin. A perfect way to bring in September!

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
The Advent Calendar is finished!!!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
yay!

I just cut out 2 fabric panel Christmas books
3 fabric panel Advent Calendar. 2 of the panels are just like the one I did for DS 33 when he was 2 or three. Now there are 3 one for each daughter. I need to embellish the similar to the original. DS doesn't know Ihave them. He will be surpriseed. I also cut out a stuffed Santa doll but I don't know who it is for. I did all this while working supervising an event. Nothing to do so...

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Doodlebug - would love to see a pic of your advent calendar.

will be knitting today :)

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I've finally gotten some momentum going again on crafting! About time!

Finished 3 felt "cookies" and 3 felt "tea bags" - they are so darling! In the home stretch on a little "felt" pineapple upside down cake - cannot wait to see it all finished! Will post pics soon!

I think I'll be done with making felt food for the birthday gift after the pineapple cake. Will wrap them up and switch back to the felt purses project for Christmas.

Also need to square off the fleece for my blanket project and do the fringe and the applique. For some reason my brain is really intimidated by the idea of squaring off the fabric :( I've been procrastinating!

Doodlebug

MHH Member
Jan 11, 2010
Oklahoma
I looked at how to post pictures on here and can't seem to find out how. I will post pictures of my Advent Calendar after the fair. Can't before because it is a fair project.

This week I will be doing a 2 page Scrapbook layout. It is also a fair project.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Did a bit more on the felt "pineapple slice" last night. Hoping to finish sewing it tonight and then I'll either hot glue or sew it to the top of the "cake" before adding a red pom pom "cherry" :)

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

I finished the pillow shams today. So glad to have that finished since I want to send it for DD's early October BD. We have a pretty busy schedule for September, so I was wondering when I'd have time to do it. I had quite a time with one of them. The first thing I realized was that I had cut one end too short (the border was narrower than it was supposed to be). Then I discovered that I had quilted the borders on that one wrong. I had to take all the border quilting out, take off the border that I had cut too short, add another border, piece some batting into place and add a strip to the backing fabric, then re-quilt the borders. All’s good now. No one will ever know unless I tell them!

I’m pleased with how they turned out. I think the reindeer panels are delightful. If DD doesn’t like them, she can give them to me.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Redo's can be a lot of work - and frustrating - glad you powered through it, DD!!!

I finished the sewing on the felt pineapple upside down "cake" last night. Will get out hot glue gun tonight an assemble the pieces! Now I just need to finish making the birthday card to go with and wrap them up!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Redo's can be a lot of work - and frustrating - glad you powered through it, DD!!!
"Powered through it" is exactly right. I was pretty tired when I realized what I had done and, of course, that was largely the cause, but I felt I had to fix it right away so that I would remember how the quilting was supposed to be done and do it right. It involved a lot of changing of threads and changing the shank on the sewing machine (why, oh why don't they make that easier to do?!). One machine that I was considering purchasing did actually have an easily exchangeable shank, but each foot had it's own shank, so they were quite large and consequently more expensive to purchase new ones. That was only part of the reason I purchased a different machine though.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Been working on my knitted sock, it's going well... will try to get them done up to the point where we can do 'toes' next week hopefully!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Glued together the "cake" last night but that was about it. Put away my sewing machine - had it sitting on dining room table for weeks. Hope to sew some on the felt purses tonight!