Crafters Challenge August 5th-11th

Discussion in 'Crafters Challenges' started by Lana, Aug 5, 2018.

1. PamelaG

PamelaG Moderator Staff Member

I can think of a great use for some of those snowflakes - next year's MHH CIJ Ornament Swap!

GrammaDeb and Lana like this.
  2. DahliaDoll

DahliaDoll Well-Known Member

GrammaDeb … Try starch.

GrammaDeb likes this.
  3. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

Last year I did the snowflakes and used a stiffening product.

GrammaDeb likes this.
  4. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

Back in the day I can remember my mum stiffening snowflakes with a strong sugar solution.

GrammaDeb likes this.
  5. Rose94

Rose94 Active Member

Use to be able to get a power laundry starch and make it a little thicker that the directions said too. That’s what I did when I use to crochet dollies. Haven’t seen it in the stores for a few years now but if you can get liquid starch use that. Just let them soak in it for a few minutes to be sure it soaked through them.

I have heard of people using a sugar mixture but I would be afraid of it attaching bugs.

GrammaDeb likes this.
  6. Rose94

Rose94 Active Member

I have reach half way point on the shawl I am reknitting I hope.

7. Fuchsia

Fuchsia New Member

Use equal parts of white glue and water mixed together. You can pin the snowflakes to any corrugated cardboard or styrofoam surface - cover it with plastic wrap first tho'! I've done the sugar water to stiffen but it starts to turn brown after several years

GrammaDeb likes this.
  8. GrammaDeb

GrammaDeb Well-Known Member

Thank you for the suggestions. I have used sugar-water for a beautiful doily that turned brown - I wasn't happy with that. I don't think I've used starch. I forgot about the stiffening solution - I've used it several times with good results - can't believe I forgot. If I can't find it I will try the glue. I appreciate your help.