Crafters Challenge December 2nd-December 7th, 2018

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Here we are the last month of the year!!!!!! I just CAN"T believe how fast they fly by!!!!

I did the burp rags and will have the wash rags to do. Friday night not as planned.

Want to do the microwave bowl holders

blanket for 18" doll

finish moms sewing armchair caddy

some ornaments to do

NOT all this week but for Christmas

Kim, so very sorry for your loss! Nice to see you on the thread! You did start this years back!!!!

What all do you have planned for this week?

Last edited:
Reactions: AuntJamelle

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I'll just continue my knitting, nothing needs to be done in the craft department before Christmas. Will look up and make a list for 2019

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lucie, I am working on a list for next year too. Excited to get started again.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
First time I have turned on my computer today needed to get the outside of the house decorated today. Just havent had the desire todo so. When Kenny was home for Thanksgiving him his girlfriend Kayla and her boyfriend brought up the stuff from the basement and did the inside and the tree.

Kayla came home from work last night and asked if I could do a set of Family wine bottles for her immediate supervisor and a unicorn ornament for her assistant manager so those have to go on my list also. Plus she brought in two shirts that she wants me to make her holiday sayings that she can wear to work this month. Kid needs to learn to use the Circut and heat press herself.

I did remember why I stopped using hot glue gun last night I burned myself so much but back at it tonight

Kenny's tee shirt quilt
Kayla and Kali's wine glasses
Moms Family bottles
grinch ornaments
mom in heaven ornament for Karlee
finish tying Kenny's fleece blanket

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Good to see you Kim! ((hugs))

I traced pieces for final felt ornament last night. Also cut out last two tissue paper suncatchers on the Cricut - now just need to finish them up with DS.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

Lana ~ Thanks for starting the thread. Good luck with your crafts this week.

Kim ~ I’m sorry to hear about your sister. I hope you can enjoy the season and not get too stressed about your crafting. It’s quite a compliment to get requests, though, isn’t it?

Rose ~ You’re reminding me that I need to start thinking and planning for Julia’s February birthday.

Lucie ~ Sounds like a relaxing December for you in the craft department at least.

I’m also done with Christmas crafting. I’m just finishing up a December birthday card which I can get in the mail next week. I’m in Nebraska at DD’s, and have several crafts I want to work on while here. DD has some ideas to keep me busy, as well. She would like some help with some pillows for her kitchen dinette, and has fabric she’d like placemats made with. I want a lot of input from her so I make them just how she wants them, so it may be a weekend project. In the meantime, I have CCS projects and knitting with me, as well as some flannel for receiving blankets and fabric and pattern for a doll baby carrier for Julia. More than enough to keep me busy!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I managed to get one of two blankets prepared for tying today. I will do the other one later this week. I need to have both ready by Friday morning.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Felt circle with holly leaves ornament is all sewn up, just need to hot glue on the hanger (baker's twine). Same for final felt ornament - a star Christmas cookie.

Now to see if I can get the blood stains out of the 2nd tank I was working on - I'm crossing my fingers!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Felt circle ornament DONE
Felt cookie ornament DONE
2 Tissue Paper Suncatchers DONE

Blood is out of the tank and I continued working on the embroidery last night. It's a pain because I'm embroidering right over the seam of the shirt.

It's the word "Luck" in big swirly letters - and it's on the SIDE of the tank - Get it? lol

My goal is to finish that puppy in time to pop into box to be shipped on Monday.

Other straggler items are finishing marshmallow sticks for DS's felt campfire set (should be easy), finishing the Christmas class treats and maybe doing some ribbon paperclips (very quick and easy) for front office staff at DS's school. I need to do something for them and for the principal too - will brainstorm on that today.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Jody ~ Good luck finishing up the blankets.

Lana ~ It’s such fun to work on ornaments at this time of year if you’re not stressed about finishing them “in time”.

AJ ~ All the little finishing tasks can add up to a bit of time, I know.

Here at DD’s she’s had the last couple of days off work, so we’ve been working a bit on cushions/pillows for her dinette and some placemats. We were worried about her being able to find more of the fabric she wanted for the dinette, but she was able to find a number to search on JoAnns website, and can order the 2 more yards that she needs. YAY.

I sure haven’t gotten much done on my own projects, though. I frogged the baby blanket I was knitting and decided to use a different pattern. I haven’t quite decided what pattern to use though.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Would love if someone could post a photo of the fleece blanket they are doing, Might like to try one for DD's BF but not sure how to start.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
DJ - So happy you found that fabric! And a wince of sympathy for the frogged blanket!!! So frustrating when that happens!

Lana - You are SO right! Having the pressure on can really kick me into high productivity gear. I just have to be careful to not overdo it and crash.

Katrina - I'll let those doing blanket recently chime in first but I know I have links to a great blog post on how do do the fringed fleece blankets. The hardest pain in the rear for me is squaring off the piece of fabric before getting started.

Cutting the fringe is no picnic either - but DH "made" me a handy little tool that helps. It's a wooden trim piece, 1" wide - and cut about as long as I want the fringe to be - 7 inches or so? I'd have to check. It's corner trim so there is a part to hold while I position a flat side on the fleece and then use my rotary cutter right up against the wood trim to cut my fringe. (Cutting mat underneath the fabric of course!) Then I move the trim piece over and repeat. And repeat. And repeat. That part is a pain!

Okay, I will stop "sharing" now - too much caffeine today I guess - lol!

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Katrina
I just finished cutting the fri nge on the second blanket. I had purchased kits and one has a border and not as some of the cutting went into the border. I will not buy border fabric again. I will try to remember to take a picture of it tomorrow when the kids are working on it so you can see how it looks before tying.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
thanks all for sharing your hint on fleece blankets. I was looking at a site and I saw a fleece blanket with DD BF favourite team so I bought it. It should be here in time for his birthday on 30th January. Slack of me I know but I think he will love it.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I was busy this week. I finished DD2's sweater (still not happy with the seaming - no aspect of sewing ever goes well for me :p ) and put on the little snowflake buttons. I finished balaclavas for DD5 and DD8. So glad to have them finished. Debating trying to make one for DD2. There is a free pattern on Ravelry for a "bunnyclava" that looks adorable.

I really wanted to make DD2's stocking in time for Christmas, but it involves careful attention to stitch her name and such in.....just isn't easy this time of year with sick kids that keep waking up and calling out, etc. Think I may just have to bump that to next year. I feel bad not having one for her like her sisters', but realistically I know she won't really care.

Found an old pattern book from the 40s with some patterns for little girl socks. Think I'll try to knit them each a pair if I have the time....socks are easy to just pick up here and there, and if I'm not finished in time they can be for next year.

Reactions: luludou

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
FrostyShimmer ~ No sense stressing about a stocking for a little one that won't really notice yet, but by next year, you'll probably want to have it ready. LOL I had fun knitting socks for Iris. Just hoping they fit her.

I spent today working on several projects for DD … pillow forms for cushion/pillows for her dinette; placemats; reinforcing Bat Man emblem on Julia's shirt (fusible didn't hold up well in the wash); and reinforcing the pockets on an advent calendar that I had made for her years ago.

I'll spend more time on the cushion/pillows and placemats tomorrow. I hope to find some time this coming week to make a couple of receiving blankets for the baby … and also a baby doll carrier for Julia.

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
Frosty shimmer I feel your pain when it comes to doing seams in knitting. I have found that I will on at least children clothes knit in the round when making sleeves and knitting the two fronts and the back as one piece till I get to the armholes. The less seams the happier I am.