Crafters Challenge February 10th-16th, 2019

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Getting halfway thru another month!

I think I picked out my project for the 12 Days of Christmas. A Nancy Zieman pattern for a 1 tie scarf. And planning on doing sewing magnets.

I also think I have my item picked out for the Chiristmas In July ornament for this site. Have to try one. You all should think about joining---look it up over at swaps. Sign ups till the end of the month.

Looks like alot got done with all the crafting done last week on this thread.

What are your plans for this week?

HAPPY CRAFTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

Lana ~ You're doing a good job of lining up the crafting ideas!

I'm planning on a play-date with Kathy on Tuesday. We will either go to Open Sew if the roads are okay for her to drive, but more likely I will go to her house for stitching, movie watching, and lunch. Her car isn't good in snow/ice conditions; and I live on a dead-end road that doesn't get any treatment in this weather, combined with a short but somewhat steep hill to traverse. DH and I can get around fine with our Subaru and all-weather tires.

I'm also hoping that we will be able to get to Sewing Club on Thursday. I'm suspecting they may cancel it if the weather doesn't warm up. It's iffy.

Of course I have plenty of projects and supplies to keep me busy. I'll be mostly knitting and cross stitching and also hope to finish up a table skirt and perhaps get the last border on the lake loft quilts.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Lana ~ You're doing a good job of lining up the crafting ideas!

DD, that is right---I get things lined up and life happens all to often here. Mostly just unorganized with things all over to try to get to. Allen even says now just go buy it besides digging thru all the totes and containers! Maybe I should misplace my machine and go get a new babylock..... He keeps telling to do it but have a few other things to get done with first paying. Nothing wrong with my Viking, I just want a newer style embroidery machine.

Sure wish I had a sewing buddy or a shop that does that. There is Jackmans in Fairview Heights that has all types of classes but mainly doing the day and the ones I find interesting isn't on my every other Thursday off. It is about a 50 to 55 minute drive one way.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
For Christmas, DD26 gave me a subscription box to Darn Good Yarn. So, I am working on the first box and there is a pattern for knitting and crocheting. Or you can just do your own thing. Well, I crochet. But I knitted a wash cloth once when DD was 12 and she and another girl, and mom, were studying American Girls. So, we all tried knitting.

I decided to stretch a little and I'm trying knitting again with this box and it's a rainbow colored cowl. :)

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Pretty much the same list with some stuff added I have been working on today

Makayla's blanket
SIL's Family wine bottles
:)Mom's dish
/(Just need to locate the faces so I can get them on now)Next years grinch ornaments
make up brush holder for Makayla
:)couple of other vanity items for Kayla
:)cut Calebs things for his homework
Home bottles
:)Shadow box

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
My goal for the next week is to keep moving with the knitted tote. I set myself until the end of February to get it done so should be ok. I then would like to decide what designs I am going to applique on the holiday tea towels.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Today I hemmed my new fabric for the table skirt and put it on the little round table outside. It looks very springy as we watch the snow falling!

I also sewed borders on the lake loft quilts and only have the top and bottom borders to sew on. They are cut and pinned, so just the sewing left. I just ran out of steam and was pushing myself to finish cutting them.

And did a bit of knitting on Valentin's afghan.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
Still crocheting on baby blanket. I think I need to buy another skein of yarn.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Finished making the bias binding for the quilt. It didn't look like it was going to be enough but there is plenty extra.
I started figuring out how to cut my fabric for the back and decided I should make paper patterns for the pieces. I was trying to do it with out and ended up so confused. Even cutting out the paper pieces was a challenge today for me. On a happier note I did use up the 2 rolls of craft paper I've been shuffling around the room for the last 8 years. I'll save the patterns so I can use them again.
Yesterday my husband help me print a bunch of stuff from the internet - cheat sheets and directions for bias binding and a bunch of other things I ve saved on my phone related to sewing and crafts. We did some editing to save paper and trees. I'm pretty pleased. He even gave me a very large ugly notebook to put everything in. So nice of him to share :rolleyes:!
Plan to lay out my fabric tomorrow after I run to town. And maybe cut it Wednesday.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Myron's Mom ~ Does this quilt have curvy edges requiring bias binding? I made binding today, too, but not bias. So nice to have a folder with all your cheat sheets at your fingertips.

Besides making binding today, I finished the last of the borders on the lake loft quilts and have both quilts spray basted to the batting. I don't have the backings ready yet. I'm ordering fabric for those.

Reactions: Myron's Mom

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Dahlia, it's not curvy, just straight edges. I've used both regular and bias binding but like working with the bias best. It seems to lay better for me if that make sense. I also like because you can make one continuous strip just sewing the 2 seams. I found this method recently so I still have a learning curve.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Myron's Mom ~ I've used different techniques to cut bias binding, but I really dislike all the short pieces, so maybe trying the continuous strip again would be a good option. I don't like drawing all the lines though and then trying to match them up. I will want to make some bias strips for some piping I want to do.

I finished the January CCS cat motif for Julia's calendar. Now on to the February owl for Sonja's.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Continued with the tote last night. Just need to knit a nose and then I can start putting it together. I can already tell that it will look nothing like the original pattern but oh well.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I've started on the February CCS owl and am making progress on the afghan knitting.

I might want to try a machine embroidery design on a sweatshirt this afternoon. I'm expecting some fabric and sweatshirt orders, but our roads aren't clear enough for the mail carriers yet.

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
DJ I looked up those owls and they sure are cute.

Finally got the front of the sweater done. Hopefully the back will go a little faster now that I have got a rhythm going on the design and the back is done exactly like the front. That and the fact that I when and got a cable needle that works better for me.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Thanks Rose and Lana.

Rose ~ You're making good headway on the sweater. I'm anxious to see it, because your knitting is always fabulous!

The CCS SALs I'm working on are fun. Lesley Teare has a FB group to follow along.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I went to Michael's to buy more yarn for the baby blanket. Took advantage of Rewards, % off coupon, senior discount, and gift card. Woo hoo!

Reactions: Lana