Crafters Challenge January 27th-----February 2nd, 2019

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
All I have to say is WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You gals were really busy last week---good for you!!!!

So envious of you guys.

I have a couple meetings this week.

What is everybody doing this week---can't wait to hear and see!!!

Keep on a sewing/crafting!

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Lana, I totally agree, everyone was very busy and making beautiful things.
I've been working on a scarf for me in the evening and am well acquainted with making "knots" while crocheting.
My stash buster Christmas quilt is coming along. I have to be careful cutting fabric because I will have just enough. I hope I have the top finished by the end of the week. Will have to go through my stash to see what I can use for a backing.
Have a good week everyone!

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Pretty much just moving my list over did get my boogs shirt made so that he has it to wear next Thursday to preschool even though his birthday's not until Friday. I really need to get some of the things done today since its another busy week at work. I don't think Kayla's blanket will get done since I havent even started it yet

Makayla's blanket
SIL's Family wine bottles
;)Davin's birthday shirt
Mom's dish
;)Kenny's blanket
/(Just need to locate the faces so I can get them on now)Next years grinch ornaments since I couldn't find the right color to go inside and did today
make up brush holder for Makayla
couple of other vanity items for Kayla

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

I did have a good week last week in finishing up the Advent mittens. It's good to keep at them so I don't forget how/what I was doing with them. I have good notes, and when I got back home after a month in Nebraska, I found that I needed to really study them to get on a roll again!

Goals this week include:
  • Thursday Sewing Club
  • Craftermath control (sorting and storing fabric remnants)
  • 2 more CCS Valentine motifs (for Sonja and maybe Valentin)
  • Art smock for Julia's birthday (waiting for measurements from DD)
  • Knitting on Valentin's afghan, Butterfly wings scarf, and maybe a cocoon for Valentin

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I want to finish that apron I found in my sewing box this week. Years ago I let DD pick out several different fabrics for a quilt top. I never made it. She has been asking me about it lately so I may try to get started on it. Not that I know how to quilt it or anything. haha I also cleaned my closet of old t-shirts that are too big several months ago and decided I would hang on to them to make a t-shirt quilt for myself, but I might have to find someone to make it for me. The Arts and Crafts center here on post does offer classes, I just need to go down there and inquire.

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
Took pictures of my Lara scarf even though it’s still drying and blocked. It alongwith a couple sewing projects are on my blog.

Taking a break this week from knitting hats for the mitten tree. Have six ready to go in.

This week my plans are:
to get going on a dress for me
Con’t on sweater for DGD
Find a pattern for the ball of yarn I picked up at Christ kindle market
Decide what I want to work on come February Rudy day.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Will continue to work on the knitted tote for mum. It is not difficult and am able to pick it up and work on it when I get a moment.
Need to buy some supplies when I am at the mall this week. Want to see if they have Christmas fabric left. I also need some floral fabric and some white embroidery thread.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
... Years ago I let DD pick out several different fabrics for a quilt top. I never made it. She has been asking me about it lately so I may try to get started on it. Not that I know how to quilt it or anything. haha
There's really not much to it as far as the piecing goes (depending on the pattern you choose). Just use the KISS principle and you will love it. The same goes for the actual quilting. Straight lines or using a decorative stitch in a straight line, and/or crisscrossing on the diagonal, all look marvelous.

Rose ~ The scarf is magnificent! What beautiful knitting you do!

I made a great start on the art smock today, but came to a standstill because I don't have enough of the bias tape. Will have to wait till Thursday to get more. Then it should be a quick finish. I did a little craftermath control as well, and will put in a few hours on the CCS Valentine motif this evening.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Rose, beautiful work on the scarf, so pretty.
The pillow cases are great.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Everyone is hopping!!! Must be the cold weather keeping us all inside?

Came down with a slight cold over the weekend so didn't do much. Worked with DS on putting together tri-fold project board for his science fair project and did some more embroidery on pillow case last night.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Finished the front of the Santa tote and cast on for the back. The back should knit up quickly.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Rose the scarf is beautiful and so are the pillowcases.

I cut out a few more fabric bags and another pillowcase - mine is easy nothing special except for the Christmas fabric.

Need to find another crochet project to use up the yarn I have

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Finished the 3 fabric bags and the pillowcase. It'll be all the sewing I'll be doing for awhile. I need to go back to knitting socks

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lucie, I would like to try socks. Is there a pattern that you use most? Are you able to share it?

Reactions: luludou

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Katrina ~ I love knitting socks. I took a class for magic loop, toe-up socks, and the pattern I got at the class is great. You knit the socks using the actual foot measurements of the person you are knitting them for and calculate all the stitch numbers around your personal gauge from the swatch you make with the yarn and size needles you are using. It's not as complicated as it may sound, but the class was a great way to get started. The socks I made for Iris for Christmas with the measurements I got from DD, fit her perfectly. The advantage of knitting two at a time are that both socks are done together, so they are the same size and when you're done, you're done. No need to knit that second sock or have a UFO. The tow-up method, allows you to keep knitting up the leg till you run out of yarn if you want to. Okay, that's all my own take on sock knitting, although you didn't ask me! LOL I hope you decide to try knitting socks. They can become addicting!

It's delightful to come and read about the variety of crafts everyone is working on.

I did a little craftermath control yesterday, mostly cutting up fabric remnants that have been in a pile on the floor. I got about 1/4 of it cut up into various sized pieces. I also kitted up some CCS motifs for 2 monthly calendars for DGDs. I won't start giving them out for a couple of years yet, but I'll be ready!

I'm planning to go to Open Sew today with Kathy and will work on the UFO lake loft quilts.

Reactions: MrsSoup

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Very interesting about the socks DJ! I have never knitted socks but have always wanted to. I can't even knit in the round yet so I still have a lot to learn.

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
Like DJ I also took a sock class at my local yarn store. A toe up as well but just one sock at a time. Will be looking to do a two up at a time as well.

I wasn’t asked either but going to suggest the following:
For first time knitting socks use a light colour sock yarn. It’s easier to see your stitches for picking up etc.

Kate Atherley has a great sock book out and I am sure if you check your library you will find other great books on sock knitting.
There are different ways to knit the heel of the sock and depending on type of heel when knitting toe up determines the length you knit the foot.

There are free patterns/videos online you can check out online as well.

I got my dress cut out last night and a little knitting in on the sweater.

Reactions: MrsSoup

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Thanks for all of your advice on sock making. The firs thing I will do is look at the library for a book on the subject, aren't libraries wonderful?
Youtube is always an amazing tool when learning a new skill.

Rose, you mention yarn, is there a specific yarn that you use for knitting socks or will any general yarn suit?

Today is my birthday and what did DH buy me? Not diamonds or flowers or perfume, I got a new glue gun!!!!! Makes my heart happy LOL.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Katrina ~ What a great gift! I certainly don't get jewelry or flowers either, and I'm very happy with that; but with a birthday a few days before Christmas, I'm lucky to get anything at all. DH finds other ways to show his love every day of the year, though! Belated happy birthday wishes to you!

My day at Sew Fun with Kathy was terrific. I made great progress on the lake loft quilts (UFO from 2018). The fabric is so darn cute. I smile whenever I look at it!

Reactions: sweetpumkinpye