Crafters Challenge January 5th-11th, 2020

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Good Morning To All!

So we are into the new year!

I have purchased some craft items to work on in 2020 but ...... REALLY REALLY running out of room. Jaymee is working on taking the stuff from here, but slow process. Trying to fit it into her house along with stuff from storage. I work on stuff on dining room table but much better when can be in one room and kept then dragged all over. It is okay---we will get there.

I do have a few ideals for 2020.

I haven't did vanilla in a few years so need to get some beans ordered and get it started. They say just a few months but I have always started it in January or February.

I saw on Home and Family (that is where mom got the globe ornament ideal on my blog) where you take a place mat and some can be taken apart and just stuffed to make a pillow. Got some at Dollar General for half price and some for 70% off. Some of them I will have to buy backing and then stuff but will be very pretty and a nice gift for a lower price.

Would like to try the lighted pictures out of gift bags I purchased and the frames with the small lights.

Tossing around the ideal for reading pillows for 4 or 5 of the smaller kids for Christmas. Think I would do it as an envelope pillow so could be washed. They have a pocket on it and I would put a book or 2 or a book and flashlight in it.

Kitchen boas might be handy---considering it for the 12 Days of Christmas swap but will see.

Just a few ideals I am contemplating.

What are your plans for the week?

HAPPY CRAFTING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Lana ~ I had to Google kitchen boas. What a great idea!

This week's plan (hopefuls):
  • Tuesday ~ Open Sew/work on memorial quilt; optional other project
  • Thursday ~ Stitched Together meeting/report progress on memorial quilt; discuss knitting socks with/for Carol
  • Studio time ~ 3-D cardinal ornament; growth chart; hanging IKEA basket for DD#2
  • Evening TV time ~ November CCS owl; knit socks for Carol

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
kitchen boas, will have to look it up too.

I don't know, just don't have the crafting mojo right now... I just pulled out a puzzle so that will do for this week.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
With dh spending all day in the bedroom I don't have a place to set up the card table. Hopefully he will take a nap a couple afternoons this week so I can sew. I want to make sleeping pads for the piggies and some rice-filled hand/foot warmers. I also need to make a birthday card for dggd - can't believe she will be 1 already.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Oh, I love kitchen boas, I think my Mum would love one. MMM might have to try these.
This week I am continuing knitted face cloths. I am hoping to find so items at the op shop this week so I can start other crafts.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Lana, I’m so glad you mentioned the boas. Have been trying to find something to make for my son, I think he would like those.
I’m still working on my pile of stuff. Finished what was supposed to be throw pillows out of an old skirt, I made into a infinity scarf. Finishing a top today, but I’m thinking I’ll toss in the thrift pile when I’m done. I saw 2 things in the pile yesterday I think I’ll just pitch.
I’ve been using my serger on my projects, getting better using it. I can practice and if I screw up it’s ok because it’s something that has been sitting in a box for years lol.
Will run back down to Amish country this week. Have a coupon for Christmas fabric, and they have a neutral Christmas fabric for my quilt background.
Luludou, I get that way too! I find something else to do ( usually clean my neglected house). My friend and I were just talking about that.
Have a fun, productive week everyone.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Will be googling! lol

I finished all 24 Harry Potter goody bags yesterday - will be moving on to gluing wings to candies to make "golden snitches" - making tags and labels for other items going in bags will be next!

Going to keep hitting birthday prep hard - time is short!

So many projects I want to start!!!!! But I am resisting their siren call for the moment!!!

Reactions: Lana

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

I'm going to Open Sew today and will work on the memorial quilt. If I have additional time, I'm taking some fabric for a spring table runner to work on.

I've hit a snag in the growth chart. I don't like how the lettering is turning out, so it's back to the drawing board with those.

I should focus some of my crafting energies to some projects for DD#2, also. I think she's anxious for me to make the hanging baskets for her IKEA organizer sooner than later.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Reactions: Ahorsesoul

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Great job AJ! especially like the goodie bags.

Been on pinterest today and started making a long craft list of things I'd like to do, including for Valentine's day and St-Pat's day

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I ended up making the girls all socks and a pair of slippers for the youngest for their homemade item. Will try to aim higher this year.

I knit scarves for every girl in DD6's class as a Christmas gift. I need to think of something she can give out next year and aim to make one per month to avoid a last minute crazy rush!

I want to knit some teddy bears to donate to the local hospital. DD8 got one when she was there sick and while she generally doesn't like stuffed animals she sleeps with it every night and says she loves it because she felt so bad that day and knowing someone cared enough to make her a bear made her feel better. Also will knit up some fingerpuppets.

DH wants me to look at starting a small business to sell knit items like thrummed mittens locally or on Etsy. I haven't made them in nearly a decade, so I think my goal for this week will be to knit up a pair and see how they turn out.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I LOVE the Harry Potter bags & snitches! And thrummed mittens - I had never heard of them. Wish I had some when I used to shovel snow - they look so happy-finger-snuggly! While looking up the mittens I got lost in Pinterest for an hour!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I LOVE the Harry Potter bags & snitches! And thrummed mittens - I had never heard of them. Wish I had some when I used to shovel snow - they look so happy-finger-snuggly! While looking up the mittens I got lost in Pinterest for an hour!

Thrummed mittens are super warm and the more you wear them the better because the thrums mold to the shape of your hands and make a fluffy layer. We like to go beachcombing in the middle of winter, and when it's -17 C nothing keeps my hands warmer :) One year (before I had kids) I made a different coloured pair for everyone in my family. Now they've got different coloured thrumming available too. I'm trying to come up with my own pattern for a thrummed hat. :)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
What amazing work on the Harry Potter bags, they are great.

I just got back from the craft shop, I was looking for old fashioned wooden coat hangers with the hook that screws in. I want some for Mum for Christmas I want to knit decorative covers and add some scented satchets. I found the coat hangers $8.99 for 6!! I hope that she likes them lol.

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
AJ nice job on those bags.
FS nice items for your DD classmates.

At the knitting fair this year there was a booth that was selling kits to make thrummed mittens but instead of the loose thrummed she had balls of it. It was like a yarn ball and you just catch the thrummed and knit it into your mitten. So I grabbed a kit to try it out. Have made a pair using the regular thrummed material.

I when to cut out the bag for DD today and realized I forgot to prewash the lining. So it’s now washed and waiting to be ironed so I can cut it out. Did go ahead and cut the fabric out and actually had enough fabric for two bags so I guess both DD’s will get one for their birthdays. Plan to iron/cut lining first thing in the morning so I can get busy sewing.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I knit scarves for every girl in DD6's class as a Christmas gift. I need to think of something she can give out next year and aim to make one per month to avoid a last minute crazy rush!

GIRL, I thought I was going the extra mile for DS's classmates! LOL That is awesome! Love the teddy bear idea too! It's a "small" thing that means a lot!

I will be looking up thrummed mittens now. Wish me luck because I'll probably get "lost" too!!!!

My "eyes" are bigger than my stomach when it comes to Pinterest and craft ideas at this time of year. I tend to overplan and then whittle down...:rolleyes:

Let's see - updates....

Drew and cut out 50 shapes from lightweight cardboard for this Friday's Art Smart class at DS's school - I'm leading and the kids will be tracing the shapes to make a tessellated design they can then color. DH helped me cut - thank goodness!

Printed and trimmed invites for DS birthday. They turned out SUPER cute! Trimmed tags for the jelly beans. Stopped working around 11PM...so much to do! I really wish I didn't need to sleep! I could get so much done!

Reactions: Ahorsesoul and Lana