Crafters Challenge January 6th, 2019

Discussion in 'Crafters Challenges' started by Lana, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

I MESSED UP THE STARTING OF THREAD SHOULD SAY JANUARY 6TH----JANUARY 12TH, 2019

Everybody seemed to be moving on something last week!!!! Even myself accomplished something!

I will be working on some more from my list I posted last week.

They are:

Making the curtains for Teigans room here from the LOL fabric DONE 1-4-19

Then I have 3 or 4 (maybe more) pants to take in for Teigan. Needs a 5 length but can use a 4 (or 3 at times) in the waist.

Need to repair a few barbie clothes

Sew a ball onto her hat string that a boy at school pulled off

and will see about any other odd things before starting anew.

What are your plans?

Myron's Mom and AuntJamelle like this.
  2. MrsSoup

MrsSoup Well-Known Member

I'm going to jump in this week! I bought some chunky yarn to hand knit a throw blanket a while back and it's just been sitting in the closet. I plan to pull it out this week and make it. I think it will only take a couple hours to complete since it's big yarn and you lay it on the table and knit it that way with no needles. If it works out well and I like it, I may make more for gifts.

I'll start there and see if I can get that accomplished and then add on. :)

Myron's Mom, AuntJamelle and Lana like this.
  3. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

I crocheted a dishcloth last night. Have a few more to do

Myron's Mom, AuntJamelle and Lana like this.
  4. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

Jess, Jaymee has been talking about one one them.

5. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

Jess, welcome. I have seen those blankets and think they look amazing.

I finished both of the calico bags over the weekend. They are simple bags with handles and I appliques designs to the front. DH will use them to 'wrap' Christmas gifts for me in them.
    Am now working on DD BF Santa sack. Hope to have that finished by the end of the week and then will move on to one for DB and mine.

6. Rose94

Rose94 Active Member

Will continue with some knitting. Both on my scarf and the hats for charity. Will also be doing some sewing as I have had a skirt cut out for a good month now. Need to get it done. Also need to get a Birthday card made by Thursday.

7. GrammaDeb

GrammaDeb Active Member

I continued crocheting last night on the baby afghan. Will do more today. DD got some of that chunky loopy yarn and finger knitted a baby blanket. It took 3 days, 20 minutes at a time on her breaks at work. It is super soft and quite warm, and it looks great.

8. DahliaDoll

DahliaDoll Well-Known Member

Greetings!

I'll look forward to seeing those bulky blankets!

I finished one CCS chart for a Valentine card, so am moving on to another one. I'd like to do 6 in all.

When my order arrives, I will be able to make an art smock for Julia's 3rd birthday (February).

I need to do some craftermath control before I can get much done in the studio. Every surface is cluttered.

9. AuntJamelle

AuntJamelle Well-Known Member

MrsSoup - I need to figure out how to make one of those blankets! I would love to hear how it goes and if you happen to have a link to any instructions you are using I would REALLY appreciate it. I want to get one done for DH's birthday in April!

Had a productive crafting weekend! :)

Bulk of the time was spent on recipe binders for the twins birthday. Got all recipes printed - although I think I'm going to add some more - and in page protectors and in the binders with divider tabs. There are 12 tabs/sections and I'm working my way through decorating them all. Here are a couple of shots of what I've done so far.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/32772503388/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/46647169131/in/dateposted-public/

I'm going to go back and embellish all of these further with stitching and by handwriting quotes and sayings in and among the pictures - kind of like Susan Branch does in her cookbooks. I've got a few dividers left to do and them I'll go back through to add all the details.

Cut the patterns for space themed altoid tin toy set for DS.

Printed the Valentines printables for class treat - need to trim - mount on cardstock and tape Valentines pencil to the back.

Ironed one set of pillowcases and drew on pattern to embroider - made a small start on the embroidery.

Completed 1 goodie bag - to vet my design - then finished prepping all the elements. Paper strips cut and then cut again with decorative edged scissors. Tags cut and written on, buttons threaded with bakers twine tied in a bow, etc. I taped the bottoms of each bag to reinforce them too. At the point where I just need to start assembling.

Need to make 2 simple birthday cards ASAP too - but will just continue to focus on the above. Sheet sets are lower priority since they are for next Christmas. But it will be easiest project to take along to taekwondo class tomorrow - unless I get pieces for altoid tin cut out...we'll see! :)

10. Rose94

Rose94 Active Member

After grandson when home yesterday(we have him the Sunday’s that both his parents have to work) I got busy and made the three birthday cards needed. All male so I made them all the same. Need one of them for this coming Thursday, one at end of month and the other very beginning of February.
    I do need to come up with a card idea for a preteen boy for end of February.

11. DahliaDoll

DahliaDoll Well-Known Member

AJ ~ You're rockin' it!

You too with the cards, Rose!

I got a text from DD with pictures of the pillow covers for the dinette chairs. She commented, "Beautiful!!!"
    IMG-20190106-WA0002.jpg

More details and pictures are posted on my blog.

Lana, Ahorsesoul, GrammaDeb and 2 others like this.
  12. Myron's Mom

Myron's Mom Active Member

AJ - love the idea of recipe binders.

One of my husbands sweatshirts is finished. I need to buy the files to do the other. I'm going to try to edit and merge 2 designs. Will see how that goes.

I started the jackets for the Christmas bulbs. So far so good. Not having issues like I did with the snowflakes. I have 3 stitched out. 33 more to do.

AuntJamelle likes this.
  13. Rose94

Rose94 Active Member

AJ like the pictures for the recipe binder. Looking forward to seeing how you add more to them.

DJ nice going on the pillow covers.

Myron’s mom this may be a silly question but I need to ask. The jackets for the Christmas bulbs—are the bulbs lights or flower bulbs?

AuntJamelle likes this.
  14. cmerth

cmerth Well-Known Member

I am knitting a dish cloth for my kitchen. If I get that done I will doing good. I made some stain glass heart for Valentine's Day (crayon on waxed paper). I want to hang them by the windows. I know... they are kindergarten crafts but I need something easy to do. :rolleyes:

15. GrammaDeb

GrammaDeb Active Member

If you enjoy it, it's awesome!

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  16. GrammaDeb

GrammaDeb Active Member

AJ - I love your recipe binders. I did something similar years ago for my kids - titled them "A Mother's Love." They were not even close to yours in beauty.

AuntJamelle and Ahorsesoul like this.
  17. GrammaDeb

GrammaDeb Active Member

I'm still crocheting on this baby blanket. Baby yarn takes FOREVER.

AuntJamelle and Ahorsesoul like this.
  18. Myron's Mom

IMG_7511.jpg Cmerth -sometimes the simplest things are the best.
    Rose - not a silly question at all. I've inserted a picture of what I'm making. We've always called them bulbs. Who knows why, lol.

19. FrostyShimmer

FrostyShimmer Well-Known Member

I told myself I'm getting my yarn down to what will fit in one plastic bin before I can buy anymore....so I'm knitting up all my odd scraps and single skeins into random projects every night.

So far this week I've made a pair of socks from a pattern from the 40s for DD5 for Christmas 2019 and one of those ruffle scarves (also from a single skein I bought on clearance years ago)

I'm aiming to make a pair of each design of socks in the old book for each of my girls by Christmas, so my goal is to finish one more pair for DD5 by the end of the week. I'm doing DD5's first as I can use up my fun colourful sock yarns. DD8 is extremely practical and likes things very plain in muted colours.....so hers will all be grey, blue, black, etc. As far as DD5 is concerned, nothing can be too colorful, nothing ever clashes, and there can't be too many designs, ribbons, sparkles, or ruffles.

I also found three really busy kind of tacky balls of light worsted wool I bought on clearance years ago....I need to think of something useful to do with them.

I'd planned on knitting preemie and newborn hats for a local hospital, but it turns out they're fully stocked. Great to hear that, but now I'm trying to think of what else to do with my baby wool.

DahliaDoll - Beautiful cushion covers. I wish I had your talent! I tried to make a little bag for DD2 this fall and I think I may have destroyed my sewing machine.

AuntJamelle - What a great idea with the recipe binders!

Lana - Is it difficult to take pants in? DD8 is the same way. Her waist needs a 4T pant, but she needs the length of a 7/8. Her jeans come with an elastic with lots of button holes and a button on each side of the waist so you can adjust them, but for dance class and other pants I've had to stick a clothes pin on the back in a pinch!

AuntJamelle and Myron's Mom like this.
  20. Myron's Mom

Frosty, I was a NICU nurse and we were always in need of nice isolette covers and bereavement blankets. I don't know if your supplies would be appropriate for that or if that's something you would be interested in doing or if your facility utilizes those items.
    Families and staff are very appreciative of the caps, booties and all the things volunteers make for the babies. Thank you!

AuntJamelle likes this.