Crafters Challenge July 1st-July 7th, 2018

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Welcome to July!!!!!

This is normally the time of year that I start thinking of Christmas alittle more. I do all the time but.....

Not sure of crafts that I am doing for Christmas if any but need to start thinking!

Maybe some more scrubbies for people, mircowave bowl holders????

What are your plans this week?

Any Christmas crafts to do?

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I need to ask Vic (he's the one who sews in our family - it's all that uniform insignia over the years!) to make some of those microwave bowl holders. I know Sophia would love a couple and they'd be great stocking stuffers.

Fuchsia

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
May I join you?

I mostly cross stitch, with a bit of crochet, sewing and jewellery making thrown in to keep it interesting. I currently have 2 cross stitch projects on the go (one largeish - the other is smaller for when I need a change) and I’m also sewing a dress for me. Got off to a bit of a rough start with the dress - the thread tension of my sewing machine was playing up and the lining fabric is quite slippy to work with, but I finally got it sorted so progress is being made! :D

Reactions: luludou and PamelaG

Fuchsia

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Welcome Fuchsia! We would love for you to join us!
Thanks!

Finished up the dress lining - yay! The dress I'm making is fully lined (except the sleeves) so it's like making two dresses, but at least the outer fabric should be easier to work with.

Also did a little bit of back stitching on my smaller cross stitch project.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
IMG_0557.JPG

I finally am working on the shadow box of my grandmother's that I plan to send to my niece. I have it all laid out so I know the placement of everything. Now just need to decide how I will secure everything to the back of the box. Some things I will tie with fishing line like the breadboard. I'll being stitching the doily on to the velvet backing and then putting items on top of that. Those are the items I'm not sure how to anchor them securely. The pair of old glasses that I think I will end up hanging with fishing line with three hooks. Two to the top and one to the side so they do not swing too much. Then I need to work on how to pack and mail it. I have a sheet of styrofoam to use to protect the glass front and I think I will have to pad the inside the box so things do not move while being tossed into a mail truck. Then wrap it and put the whole thing in another box for safe mailing. Should cost me an arm and leg to mail. lol I'm thinking I should put a tag with her name and DOB and DOD at the top of the display.

After this is mailed I want to make three small shadow boxes of items that were hers for the other niece and nephews. Just smaller.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

Great to see Fuchsia and Rose here!

Lana and Pamela ~ I need some of those microwave bowl holders myself … maybe just one more. I had two, but something happened to one of them. Something to add to my list!

Ahorsesoul ~ Your shadow box turned out great. It will be a treasured gift. Good luck mailing it!

We are headed home from the lake tomorrow, so I’ll be reviewing my goals and available time (need to focus a bit on preparing home and food for company). I’m going to Sew Fun on Tuesday with a couple friends. Since I finished the cozy travel afghan, I’m back to knitting on the prayer shawl. Haven’t done any sewing at the lake. It’s just hard to motivate myself to drag the sewing machine out and get everything set up. In my studio at home, it’s all ready to go.

holidayhelpelf

MHH Member
Oct 30, 2007
I would love to join also. DJ, Rose and Fuchsia...hi there!! I know the name may throw you off, hoping to shorten it here soon.

I mostly do CCS and crochet. Make hats on the Knifty Knitter Loom. And the occasional crafting of something that catches my eye! I found a crochet UFO project at the back of my crafting stuff, will try to work on it and finish it up this week. I make cards now and then, nothing on a big scale.

Looking forward to getting to know all of you!

Reactions: PamelaG

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
View attachment 257

I finally am working on the shadow box of my grandmother's that I plan to send to my niece. I have it all laid out so I know the placement of everything. Now just need to decide how I will secure everything to the back of the box. Some things I will tie with fishing line like the breadboard. I'll being stitching the doily on to the velvet backing and then putting items on top of that. Those are the items I'm not sure how to anchor them securely. The pair of old glasses that I think I will end up hanging with fishing line with three hooks. Two to the top and one to the side so they do not swing too much. Then I need to work on how to pack and mail it. I have a sheet of styrofoam to use to protect the glass front and I think I will have to pad the inside the box so things do not move while being tossed into a mail truck. Then wrap it and put the whole thing in another box for safe mailing. Should cost me an arm and leg to mail. lol I'm thinking I should put a tag with her name and DOB and DOD at the top of the display.

After this is mailed I want to make three small shadow boxes of items that were hers for the other niece and nephews. Just smaller.
That's beautiful. What was your grandmother's heritage? That's her naturalization certificate in the top left, correct?

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Yes, that's her NC. She was born in Norway but it lists Sweden. lol

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Yes, that's her NC. She was born in Norway but it lists Sweden. lol
I'm reading a book about Queen Victoria's granddaughters - one of them became Queen of Norway when it became independent from Sweden in 1905. If she was born before 1905, that's probably why it says Sweden.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
PamelaG, I have downloaded the book. Sounds interesting.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Welcome to all of our new crafters. It is lovely to see you all.
I mainly CCS, I crochet quick rugs for charity and I like to put my hand to most things. I am not terrific at most things but really enjoy crafting when I get the chance.
Will be interested to follow what you are up to.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
PamelaG, I have downloaded the book. Sounds interesting.
If you like history, specifically 19th and 20th century European history, it's a great read. It does flip back and forth between the five granddaughters so be prepared for that. Born to Rule by Julia P. Gelardi

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Welcome to our 3 new members :) This is so much fun!

Now that I've helped our 2 kids move last weekend I'll be back to normal. I need to start knitting again... those socks and that reading wrap won't knit by themselves! Also working on the wood slice ornies.