Crafters Challenge June 30th-July 6th, 2019

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
WELCOME!!!WELCOME!!!!! To another week/month!

I still have my sewing machine on table so hope to do few more freezer pop covers for myself and Jaymee.

I am kicking around my ideal for the 12 Days of Christmas Swap. Was thinking a fleece scarf and now might be some flat glass magnets, ornament, and a jar opener thingy along with something else. The jar opener you use 2 pieces of fabric and a piece of rubber shelf liner all 7" squares and sew right sides together with liner in middle,leave 5" opening to turn and top stitch. On material side mark about 2 to 21/2" x in middle and sew (to keep layers from sliding. Anyhoo made one for us to try before doing some. Probably won't have any jars to open.. Some sew a magnet into the opener to keep on fridge but I don't think I'd put on fridge so will pass on that.

Katrina, my grandma always crocheted on pillowcases. Then I have a set of pillow cases where it is a lady with a dress and she crocheted the skirt part. I am sure yours will be cherished.

I also have some items I can paint white inside so can finish up a bunch when need something fast to work on.

What is everybody working on this week?

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Hello

I was cleaning out my knitting cabinet and found 7 pairs of socks that had been made fully except I hadn't gotten around to kitchener stitching the toes closed. 7 pairs!! I think they were from when I was on bedrest with DD8. They all still look okay. I think I'll stitch them all closed and wash and block them and see if they might make some gifts for this year.

I put my sweater on hold when we went away and got a giant ball of baby yarn because I feel safer crocheting in the car than holding pointy needles. Between the trip and staying up late watching the Democratic debates, I made an entire baby afghan in about two weeks for a friend expecting a baby in December. And - what luck! - in my bin of unfinished projects I found all the pieces for a beautiful baby sweater I made for one of my own but never found the time to stitch together....so I should have a matching sweater to go with it. I already told my friend she'll have to have a girl because everything I made is pink. Fingers crossed, lol.

I also started a pair of fingerless gloves for DH. Two other years I made him a complicated pattern I found in an old book from the forties, but there is one on the Yarnspirations website that is mostly just stockinette and should knit up quickly, so I'm going to give them a try. I hope to get both gloves finished this week, except for the fingers....I'll have to steal his old pair to get the finger measurements right. So that's my main goal. If they don't turn out I'll have to set aside a month to make up the fussy older pattern.

I also want to pick out which mittens to make for each of the girls for Christmas and choose the wool from my stash if I can. I got a great mitten/glove book on clearance from amazon with really different patterns.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I found a couple crocheted ufo projects that I want to finish up and put away. One is a Christmas ornament for me, and the other is the cross for my sister, that I keep procrastinating finishing. All I need to do is crochet tiny roses to sew on, block it, and get it framed. And, of course, I will crochet lace.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
My aim for this week is to finish the pink hearts. The fronts are done I just need to sew them together and stuff them.
I would like to start my mum's covered journal, I have all the materials not sure why I am procrastinating on this one. Just got to take the plunge and get it done.

An amazing lot of UFO's that have been found.

Looks like another busy week here in the Crafters Challenge

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I don't plan on any crafting till family leaves … around July 10. Hope you all have a very successful craft week!

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Everyone is finding such wonderful treasures.
I have pillow cases that both my grandmas did. One grandma crocheted fine lace the other embroidery. I’ve been thinking about making some kind of throw quilt with them. They were all well used when I was growing up and are a little tattered. (Another project lol).
I’ve layered the quilt top and batting. I don’t like any of quilt backs I have so next week when I’m out I’ll check 2 of the shops that are reasonable close. I have plenty of fabric left for my binding. I’ve come up with some quilting ideas. Now if I can transfer what’s in my brain on to the quilt......
I have a practice jacket cut out. I used pieces parts of some old sheets I had. Until I get the fit right I didn’t want to use my good fabric. It’s just a rough sew up. I’m going to use my serger too. Lol, if I screw up sewing it I won’t be out anything.
Have a safe and fun holiday this week!

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I took out 4 rows of lace - one turning edge didn't make me happy. I quickly re-crocheted the rows so my thread wouldn't tangle. (I was too lazy to wrap the thread around the ball) The lace has to be perfect since it's going to a dd who also loves to crochet. She accuses me of checking her creations for mistakes (I don't), so I don't trust that she doesn't do it herself. Haha

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Finally got the buttons on the baby sweater so it’s finished and the back casted on for the next.

Happy Canada Day!

Since you mentioned doing buttons on a baby sweater- do you use yarn or thread to put buttons on baby items? I find sometimes the yarn seems so bulky putting on those little buttons....yet the thread seems so thing. I'm always so worried when I make something for a baby that a button will come off.

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
Since you mentioned doing buttons on a baby sweater- do you use yarn or thread to put buttons on baby items? I find sometimes the yarn seems so bulky putting on those little buttons....yet the thread seems so thing. I'm always so worried when I make something for a baby that a button will come off.

I use thread to sew on the buttons. I double the thread and I don’t knot the end when I begin. I come up through a piece of the yarn leaving a tail. Run the thread through the button about six times than tie a knot using both ends. I have done a couple knots or a touch of fray check on the knot as a extra precaution. Have heard of people using the thinner crochet thread if the colour matches.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I stitched up my practice jacket. Lol I looked like I was wearing something of my dads. It was much too big. So Ive traced and cut out a size small. I think the fit will be much better. There is a lot of wearing ease on this pattern because I am not a small girl!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I use thread to sew on the buttons. I double the thread and I don’t knot the end when I begin. I come up through a piece of the yarn leaving a tail. Run the thread through the button about six times than tie a knot using both ends. I have done a couple knots or a touch of fray check on the knot as a extra precaution. Have heard of people using the thinner crochet thread if the colour matches.

Thanks for the tip! I think I'll try thread next time. I always think mine look so lumpy and bumpy when I use yarn. Plus sometimes I want to remove special buttons to reuse and switch them for regular buttons when my kids outgrow something and I want to donate it, but when you use the same yarn it can be really hard to remove the buttons.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
While sorting through ufo's I found a long-ago started pillowcase lace. Discovered my problem - I started the first row on the wrong end. Sigh. I ripped it all out, rolled up the thread into a ball, and I will start fresh again...tomorrow.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lucie/ Frosty this is the pattern for the knitted "lace". I use this on pillow cases, handkerchiefs and face washers. 9 rows very easy, I will post the instructions for the thicker "lace" as well.

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I frogged the fingerless gloves I was making for DH last night. Ugh....I'd worked on them for so long, and in fine fingering weight, but I could tell that the plain stockinette stitch wasn't going to give as snug of a fit. I think I'll dig out my old pattern from the forties and use it instead. It takes a long time, but I know the final product is worth it.

Lucie/ Frosty this is the pattern for the knitted "lace". I use this on pillow cases, handkerchiefs and face washers. 9 rows very easy, I will post the instructions for the thicker "lace" as well.

Thanks for these patterns! I was going to get some pink facecloths for DD6, our resident princess, and now I'm thinking I'll put some lace on the edges with this. She'll love it! I bought this silvery cotton with sparkles in it that I wasn't sure what to do with. There is nothing she doesn't think is better with some lace, ruffles, or a bow :)

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Thanks Katrina. I downloaded it.
I ordered tons of Christmas ribbons on Alliexpress yesterday for futur crafts :)