Crafters Challenge May 1st-May 6th, 2017

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Good Morning to You All and WELCOME to another MONTH!!!!!!!!!

I think I have narrowed down the 12 Days of Christmas swap items -----kinda. Thinking of doing tablecloth weights for when outside and I am not sure if bowl covers or what for another item. The weights would be like 2 cherries (yo yos with washers in them) with green ric rac and alligator clips. Not sure double guessing now whether people would like them or just more crap to store.

Thought I had the CIJ figured out but.......doubting myself on it.

DD, I wish I was in your area--sounds like a lot of sewing things to do. The shop here that does classes and such is the babylock dealer (just stated last week selling Brother machines. They say Babylock is kicked off of Brothers) about an hour away. A lot of interesting ones seem to be during the day!

Kim, you so busy amazing how you find crafting time.

AJ, can't wait to see your new stuff.

Lucie, also waiting to see the snowflakes.

Have a GREAT week!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

I measured and cut fabric for pillowcases and quilt borders and binding yesterday. I still have barely enough fabric to piece for backing. I sewed a couple of border pieces on before I realized I had cut them 1” too long. I got one frogged. This quilt will have two inner borders and an outer border. Borders are not the most fun things to do on this large a quilt.

Yes, Lana, there are a lot of craft-related events in this area. My crafting plans for the week include going to a Sew Fun seminar Monday evening with a friend. Also to work on the quilt borders and backing, some organza butterflies, CCS motifs for Mother’s Day cards, and knitting on the wedding afghan.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Lana I think I just need to step back from things again. I am taking too much on I think, just sitting here writing this post, I realized Kayla has prom this coming weekend and we haven't even gone and ordered the flowers ( will have to do tomorrow when they get out of practice hopefully it's not too late and we can find someone todo them). Also with prom we never ordered roses for the senior girls for Wens night I hope we can find those too. Was in Walmart with Kenny earlier he needed to put money in bank account and he asked me to simply make him a new water bottle that say's "When I break a school record I destroy it" with the event name and Friday's date for tomorrow. I don't have time but told him he could.

Once again just copied my list over from last week have no clue where I am at on it. Just know I am ready to tell everyone else I don't want their vinyl jobs and that includes my own brother whom his girlfriend is now changing her mind every 5 mins. I don't even have my kids senior night stuff done for him that he asked me to get done. The other coaches mom took over doing t-shirts for the boys for me, she is also helping me with senior night stuff that I am doing. Just sent her what I wanted to do and she is doing half of them plus something she is working on for Kenny that her son wants for him. She told me at the meet Friday night not to worry she has time to help me and would love to help even her doing the shirts is big enough help. I did stop and pick up all the shirts Thursday since they were on sale. Vinyl won't be in until tomorrow or Tuesday she said not to worry just replace what she use's that works too. Kenny went on a run with this coach this morning so he took everything with him.

-Figure out what shirts I am using for Kenny's t-shirt quilt and start deciding what is going to go where, he has quite a few that say Champion on the back I would like to use those as well, from different invitationals.

-get picture frames from dollar store and see how fast they can order me more

-Senior night gifts x12

Senior night coaches gifts
-clip boards x2
-water bottle (Not only am I the cross country and track coach, but I was Kenny's coach lets assume I know it all) is what we decided to put on it

-something to the effect (we are thinking maybe tile) that says " my first year as cross country coach, Kenny took me to states"

(have no clue up in the air right now ready to tell them to find someone else to do )-cut 30 tree's with cricut for my brothers wine bottles for his wedding

Extras will be
work on felt food
(just need to decorate and wrap and will be done)finish nieces tulle wreath

Now adding:
-pick up wine bottles from Becki and have kids start removing glue when they have a chance
-Kenny mason jar bank he just seen at Walmart he has to have I can make with scraps I have here
-Design for Kenny's graduation party invites since now we have a date
-Something quick and easy extra for Kenny for senior night from me

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
KimD - you have alot on your plate! just glad you found someone to help you out.
DD - I love taking classes but nothing around here.
Lana - always hard to pick which ornaments we want to do for the year.

Have done NOTHING the past few weeks, been super-busy at work with cw absent because of her dh's death and doing deep-spring cleaning here as well as starting outside yard work not that the snow is FINALLY gone!

Today will finish deep spring cleaning on 1st floor, do a few errands and stiffen 1 snowflake... anyhow that's the plan!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

Kim ~ That's great to have one of the other moms offer to help out! When are the bottles needed for the wedding? Graduation time is busy enough without adding wedding plans to the mix.

Lucie ~ I'll be looking for some gardening time this week as well. I bought some plants for my pots but still need more. It seems a bit early for the nurseries to have some of the annuals I want.

My days this week should look something like this:

• Morning hours working on quilt borders and/or organza butterflies
  • Late morning/early afternoon hours gardening/potting plants (weather permitting)
  • Late afternoon and any auto-travelling time knitting wedding afghan (just about ready to join last skein of yarn)
  • Evening TV time working on CCS motifs for Mother's Day cards
And somewhere in there trying to spend some time on inside chores (paying bills, washing windows ... ) Instead of trying to find time to craft, I usually procraftinate on household chores.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I plan to finish up the CIJ ornaments this week. DD told me her DH wants more kitchen towels with crocheted toppers...she guessed she would have to make some. I said NOOOO, I already have 10 for him. She said good because she didn't really want to make them...she was hinting.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I don't crochet but am thinking of making the kitchen towel with fabric for DDs for Christmas. I am having a hard time starting anything because DS and Family is here they will be gone in May. Will have to see how finances are after they leave as DH is retiring in October and we don't know the full details of income yet. I have a list we will see.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
DS has bronchitis - :(

That said, I've done a little crafting lately. Finished felt ornament that looks like a little red dress. Finished another knitted washcloth, that makes 4 now. And I am almost done with my fourth tissue box cover.

This week is going to be dominated by getting DS better and by doing a massive amount of baking for DS's school's annual fund raiser event this Saturday. I'm taking Friday off work to bake all day and am finishing up prepping between now and then. I've got pie crusts in the freezer, have baked some layer cake layers and frozen them and so on. I've also got some pre-measuring of dry ingredients to finish.

Looking ahead I plan to continue work on felt ornaments, some more cards and hope to start another new project soon - a Fairy Lantern :) More to come on that!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

I did not get any gardening done yesterday. It was cold, wet and rainy most of the day. So I got all the borders on the quilt, pieced the backing fabric, sewed the binding together and pressed, and made the pillowcases.

I got my sewing machine back from the shop, so should be ready to start quilting. The Wander quilt is ready to be quilted. Moda Terrain is waiting for my batting order delivery.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

I've been doing a lot of crafting the last couple of days, so lots to report here.

I thought, again, that I'd be doing some gardening today, but for a number of reasons, I procraftinated again.

I took an "orphan block" (leftover that didn't make it into the quilt) of the Wander quilt and made a pillow cover with it. I have one more orphan block to make a pillow cover with. I will probably keep one for myself and give one to a neighbor. The quilt batting came today, so at some point soon, I will get the Moda Terrain quilt sandwiched.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Got a few things to take off the list. I sent everything to school with Kenny this morning and then for some reason they announced Seniors early I got down to the track right before they announced Kenny and he was close to the end. Got no pictures, one of the girls got pictures and she is going to send to me at some point this weekend. I understand these seniors in AP classes have final tests this week and next. Kenny has one tomorrow and one next week.

-Figure out what shirts I am using for Kenny's t-shirt quilt and start deciding what is going to go where, he has quite a few that say Champion on the back I would like to use those as well, from different invitationals.

Xget picture frames from dollar store and see how fast they can order me more

X-Senior night gifts x12

XSenior night coaches gifts
X-clip boards x2
X-water bottle (Not only am I the cross country and track coach, but I was Kenny's coach lets assume I know it all) is what we decided to put on it

X-something to the effect (we are thinking maybe tile) that says " my first year as cross country coach, Kenny took me to states"

(have no clue up in the air right now ready to tell them to find someone else to do )-cut 30 tree's with cricut for my brothers wine bottles for his wedding

Extras will be
work on felt food
(just need to decorate and wrap and will be done)finish nieces tulle wreath

Now adding:
-pick up wine bottles from Becki and have kids start removing glue when they have a chance
-Kenny mason jar bank he just seen at Walmart he has to have I can make with scraps I have here
-Design for Kenny's graduation party invites since now we have a date
(Yea I suck I stopped and got him a balloon and flowers)-Something quick and easy extra for Kenny for senior night from me

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
KimD - Wow! You've got a lot going on girl!!! :)

I finished the tissue box cover:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/33637836323/in/dateposted-public/

I also cut pieces out for 3 more. Made a good start on embroidery for the next one too. This time around I'm using black felt and embroidering a dandelion pattern on it in white floss. I think it's turning out really good!

Also finished another felt ornament from a kit I had put together - a white heart shape with a little owl sitting on a tree branch.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/34447617575/in/dateposted-public/

And here is the little red dress ornament I mentioned finishing previously. I'm not completely satisfied with how it turned out, but I think it's okay.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/33637836053/in/dateposted-public/

I also started knitting another washcloth since I have enough yarn left to do one more - might as well, right? lol

Oh, and I put together a kit for another felt ornament - this one is meant for one of DS's teachers this Christmas - a white circle with holly leaves in a pretty pattern with embroidery and beads. Should be really cute!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

Kim ~ No guilt about balloons and flowers. Very thoughtful!

Jamie ~ Beautiful tissue box cover. A reminder that I need to make one for a friend. Your ornaments are wonderful! You do lovely hand work.

Yesterday I got the Moda Terrain quilt sandwiched. For future reference, I’m naming it “Many Happy Returns” since it will go to our lake place.

I was able to get fabric that I want to use for the other Wander pillow cover as well as the pillow forms yesterday.

Finished the third and final CCS motif for Mother’s Day cards, and am at the end of the 4th skein of yarn for the afghan. I’m thinking it’s probably just about long enough. I just wish it was a little wider. Now I’m starting to contemplate another knitting project. I have a Seahawks scarf already started and yarn to make one or two more, yarn for a new afghan (for me), a bin full of cotton for dish cloths, yarn for hats for the DGDs … oh so much yarn!

This morning I put borders on the Wander orphan block and sandwiched it for quilting for the pillow.

Got some plants potted in some beautiful weather, and now we are relaxing and enjoying some thunder. We don’t get much thunder in this area. We can get some good thunder storms at the lake. We’ve also had a couple bunnies playing around in the “out back” yard. One runs towards the other, and the other hops straight up as the running bunny runs underneath. So cute and funny to watch.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
AJ - you do beautiful work!
Not much going on here on the homefront

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
AJ love the tissue box and ornaments.

DJ Kenny asked me to make something for one of his best friends on Kayla's softball team for senior night which was last night yea she got roses and a balloon from him. Which was the same for one of his other best friends on the Girls track team roses and balloon from him. He is still trying to make up for telling both these girls that he was still taking his ex-girlfriend to SDD and not them (he is good friends with both their boyfriends and one is doing summer session in college the other told her to ask Kenny if not he would go).

Haven't done anything since getting senior night done except prom prep for tomorrow with Kayla have to pick her up in an hour from school we could only get nail appt for today during school hours so that shall be it. Last night while at dinner she decided she needed silver shoes to go with her dress instead of the black we already bought. O.k. we can do that (she still can wear black shoes with her dress for SDD she is also attending). So after getting wet and freezing at her game, going to dinner we went shoe shopping again second store she found a pair she had to have so that was quick and painless.

My nieces wreath is driving me nuts just sitting there so I am hoping to at least finish that up tonight and possibly pick up wine bottles from friend today to get started on those after Kayla leaves tomorrow

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

I have a couple new entries on my blog to post pictures of the Wander pillows and a tissue box cover that I made for a friend.

I've been quilting on the Wander quilt. I would really like to have it finished by next weekend so it can travel with us on our glamping trip. It will take a lot of time though. I have 48 blocks to quilt in before I do the binding. About 8 are done so far.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
DD I love the chickadees. Everything you made is so lovely.