Crafters Challenge November 5th-November 11th, 2017

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Hello!!!!

I have accomplished some sewing this week.

I need to put binding on 12 caddies. I messed around with 2 to rip off and I will just have to handsew the back of binding which I prefer but time wise wanted to machine them. I can't ever even them up. Anybody want to come on over and help? Would love to have in the mail tom. BUT.....

I might machine the front on and call mom to help, will see!

What are your plans this week?

Happy Crafting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Lana ~ It might be too late by the time you read this, but have you considered using a decorative machine stitch to do the final stitching on the bindings? With that, if it isn't exactly where you want it, it won't show. A serpentine stitch would work well. Anyway, nice to have a DMom to be able to call on!

I'm in between sewing projects at the moment. I should get started on the thread catchers for DDs and a friend for Christmas gifts.

I did some experimenting with a machine embroidery poinsettia design yesterday. It looks very nice. I did more brainstorming this morning about what fabric to use for plain red placemats to do the machine embroidery on. I don't want to have to be doing a lot of ironing after washing them. I finally had what I hope is a wonderful idea to order a large tablecloth that is polyester and stain-resistant and use it for the placemats. I ordered one from BB&B. Hope I like the color! I doubt I'll finish them in time to use for this year, but you never know! I also ordered some white napkins that I could embroider poinsettias onto.

I might also try my hand at a pillow idea I had for Julia. If it works out, it would be nice to take with us when we go for Thanksgiving.

It's snowing! It's sticking!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Snow!!! I was just daydreaming about snow! :)

I actually did some crafting this past week - :eek: - I know, I know, let the shock just roll over you!

Worked on stitching down the felt applique pieces on the fleece blanket. Still quite a bit left to do - hoping to keep plugging away during the evenings this week!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
They are done!!!! Will wrap them tom. night and get in mail Wed. a.m.!

DD, that is a good ideal! You would think same size and all would match but..... Thought of a zig zag. Maybe when I do moms for Christmas. Will definitely put a thread catcher on hers.

Last edited:

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Lana ~ Glad you got them all done!

AJ ~ It's nice that you're able to get back to some crafting.

I went to a Sew Fun presentation yesterday. I didn't buy anything and wasn't particularly inspired but did really enjoy the show-and-tell. It can be very humbling to see other peoples' beautiful crafts.

The pillow idea didn't work out, so I ended up making a long, rectangular one. I also kittied up and started a CCS motif for a friend's BD card. I had already done one motif but I think it's really too big for a card. It's a very pretty poinsettia. I'm not sure what it will become. And, I've got a blue hat on my knitting needles that is nearly done.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I put myself in a chair behind the sewing machine and sewed all day. I sewed the 2 Advent calendars, 3 fabric books, and 3 small Nutcracker pillows. for granddaughter (6,4, 1) and DBoss'es children. There were 2 fabric books that DBosses' mom had that she didn't get to before she passed in April so I took them and did them for the kids. I will give them to her the first of December for her to give them.
I have another book for DD 27 which was suppose to be made a long long time ago. and an I Spy book I am trying to create on my own. I am thinking I will put it in a 3 ring binder so I can keep adding pages and send them to her when finished. I want to do it similar to the books.

I also have several fabric characters that came on the fabric panels that I can turn into ornaments. That will wait for a day in December when I can do it in a relax fashion. I hope to have what I need done by December 1 so I can enjoy the month with Christmas Joy.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
wow MissJoDee, a great crafting day! would love to see pictures :)

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Awesome, Jody!

I probably got in about 1.5 hours on the blanket yesterday. One more night should do it and it will be ready to wrap!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

Jody ~ That’s a lot to have accomplished in one day! Must feel great! Yes, we would love to see pictures.

AJ ~ You’re moving right along, too.

My progress yesterday was to work on a hair bun tie for Iris. I machine embroidered fish on the ends and then used a fish decorative stitch on my sewing machine, too. I still need to cover the wire ends so they won’t poke through the fabric, turn it out, close the opening and sew a large button hole. I want to send it to her as a congratulation gift for her passing a difficult level in her swim classes. I also finished a knit baby hat for donation to a charity. They work up so quickly, I’ll be doing more to use up some of my leftover yarn.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Pictures of what I did yesterday.Advent Calendar.JPG Advent Calendar.JPG Alexa's Book 1.JPG Alexa's Book 2.JPG Campbell's Book 1.JPG Campbell's Book 2.JPG Grace's Book 1.JPG Grace's Book 2.JPG

I did 2 of the Advent Calendars. The are just like the one I made DS34 when is was 2. Now all three of his daughters will have one.

Reactions: jollykelly

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Love all the books and the Advent calendars are great. TFS pictures!

I just now remembered that in the haste to get all wrapped I forgot to take pictures of the caddies!!!! :( I have moms and mine to do yet. Allen wrapped the caddies in a dishtowel and then tied with bakers twine.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
AJ ~ The advent calendars and books are wonderful. I have some panels for advent calendars in my PIGS. I have made them for DDs and have made others in the form of pocket ornaments for DGDs. I'm not sure what I should do with the PIGS.

Lana ~ I was looking forward to seeing the caddies. If you're making one for yourself, it won't go out the door before a picture gets taken! I've done that and then had to ask DD to take a picture for me when she gets it.

I went to a quilt guild meeting as a visitor yesterday. It's quite a large guild with lots going on. The speaker was terrific!

I finished the hair bun tie yesterday plus a knit dish cloth. I think the person who posted the tutorial for the hair bun tie might have been laughing at imagining people trying to turn the thing right side out after putting the wire through the casing. I truly don't know how it could be done that way, but I did try. I ended up having to take out one row of stitching to remove the wire, turning it right side out, reinserting the wire, then top stitching close to the wire. I did take a picture! Now I need to get it in the mail.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Just realized I missed posting the pillows. The panel I got didn't come with a backside so I use some of my own fabric stash and made them to hug. Will package them and put in the mail Friday.Nutcracker pillows.JPG

Reactions: jollykelly

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007

Jody ~ Cute pillows!

Going to Creative U yesterday with Kathy was fun, as usual! I didn't buy anything that they demonstrated, but we both bought fabric. They were holding some fabric for me that I want to use in a chenille wall hanging as well as some coordinating fabric for a topper for my server in the dining room. I was also able to find the same fabric I used in my fall octagon table topper that I will use to make some coasters (DH informed me that we did not have fall coasters, LOL). I'll try to finish them today and set them out to surprise him.

I'm also planning to make felt foods to send to Sonja and Julia. I want to send them a different food every month. I've been collecting ideas as well as some machine embroidery patterns. I meant to do it for Iris at some point, but she may be a little old for it now. She's old enough to do real cooking. We gave Sonja a play kitchen for her 2nd birthday at her mom's suggestion.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Jody - they are beautiful. Love the quiet books.

Went to the knitting lady yesterday so I should be able to do a bit more on my own. still working on the scarf and started a new pair of socks.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Have been concentrating on finishing rugs for the charity, will have 7 to give to her once I finish this last one.
Am still deciding if i will do crafts for gifts for next year, I have some patterns cut out and put into ziplock bags ready to go.
Would love to get at least those finished next year before starting anything else.
I just have to sit and find time, no more excuses!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007

Greetings!

I've made up the BD card for my DFriend's December birthday, and I'm working on the CCS motifs for ornaments for DGDs (3). I'm thinking of taking yarn to knit baby/child hats on our trip to Nebraska for Thanksgiving. I'll make them to donate to a local charity in honor of some of my friends that I might otherwise buy or make gifts for. I'm just thinking that more "stuff", even if it's hand made, is not what most of my friends want or need at this time of life. We're all thinking in terms of downsizing. Most of us are also trying to be conscious of weight issues, so baked goods, although we love them, may not be helpful.