Crafters Challenge October 7th-13th, 2018

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I've been having the worst time trying to find the place the 2 yarn balls have the same color to start the socks. they are the same color, same lot but they are not identical... grrrrrr, I unwinded both of them, rewinded, unwided... spent the weekend doing that.
I think it will be beautiful without an exact match. People will wonder how you did that and ask how they can do it the same way.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
FS ~ If it were me, I would either photocopy the page(s) of the book to use and be able to mark the tally on or use a sticky note on the page to put the tally on. How wonderful to have your grandmother’s notes and be able to knit the same items!

Katrina ~ I’ve got a busy week with friends, so not too much crafting getting done here either.

Lucy ~ Did you ever find a matching spot. I think they really aren’t supposed to match these days, so you may have to go with that!

Rose ~ Nice to see you back here!

Myron’s Mom ~ I love to watch the demos at quilt shows; and, of course, I have to paw through all the fabrics! Have a great time. How disappointing about your Christmas purse. I’m sure it will make a great gift bag though. Will you make another one? Same pattern just smaller with a firmer interfacing?

AJ ~ Great work! You do such unique things with felt. Can’t wait to see your other finishes. You’ve been busy.

As for me, I need to pick up the pace here in the crafting department, but we’re going to the lake tomorrow. I’ll try to find some things to take along that need to be done …

I've been making the Rivera bag by Pink Sands Designs. It's an easy sew and looks sharp. This time I used the Pinafore Bag by Me and My Sister. My fabric is kinda whimsy and I thought it would be a good fit. I don't know that I would make another one. ( my husband didn't like it either lol). The Pinafore would make a nice slumber party bag.

I've started cutting out the Aruba bag by pink sands. I've not made it before but it goes together like the Rivera only no zipper . Even though it's more structured then I was wanting I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with it. It's big enough my necessary clutch wallet will fit.

We should have a great time at the show. We don't get to see each other as often as we would like. Maybe I'll find some new purse patterns and purse hardware!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Myron's Mom ~ Those are all cute bags. The Pinafore Bag reminds me of the shopping bag my DD made me. It's wearing thin, and I need to make myself another one. She gave me the pattern. It might be a good use for some fabric I recently bought … Oh boy … another project!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Frostyshimmer – I hope your little one – and you – get some good sleep SOON!

Oh Jody – You are going to make yourself crazy with that “rule”! I totally, totally get that impulse though – I have had to train myself to approach my thinking differently. I have been successful with the timer method – giving myself permission to let other things wait while I set a timer for 1 hour or 30 minutes or whatever. Knowing that I’ll dive into the never ending – always waiting – pile of work once the buzzer goes off! It’s so hard to balance everything!!!!

Myron’s Mom – Have fun at the show! Love the bags!

Went out with a girlfriend last night but did work on the Monster Treat Bags some when I got home. Hot glued on all the noses and taped on all the tongues I had cut out - need to cut some more to finish but that will be quick.

Realized I'll have to fill the bags with candy, close up and THEN tape on the "horns" in order to avoid the paper getting crumpled. But the end of the project is in sight!

Got the "pages" part of one of the felt book ornaments started yesterday - almost done with one to the point of stuffing. Felt marshmallows are ready to stuff and sew up too.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
will try again to find the matching spot this weekend but might just have to go as is. I too think the pattern was too big so it's hard to match.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Had fun at the quilt show. Was nice to catch-up with my friend. Bought just a few odds and ends and a quilt paper piecing patten, cats of course. I was good and did not buy fabric.
They did have a kit for a nutcracker lap quilt. My son would love it. But it's something I can create on my own. It had a vintage nutcracker fabric in it but they didn't sell that separate. It's not something I've see around here so I'll look on line. Will be a nice gift for next year.
Tomorrow I'll try to finish up my purse.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Jody ~ AJ is right! Set aside a little time for crafting or you may never get to it; and don't feel guilty! Of course, I'm the opposite. You've heard me say that I procraftinate, and that's exactly what I do! I start working on a craft and other things don't get done. It's easier when you're a retired empty-nester, though, 'cause there's more time and less mess.

I got the linen scarf bound off yesterday. I was so close on the yarn I left for binding off that I had to use a little from my beginning tail. I had less than 2" of yarn left.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Time for some show-and-tell.

Table scarf with coordinating coasters:

Towel for a baby girl due in December:

Prayer shawl given to my friend who's mother passed away recently:

Flip flop magnets for use in the laundry at the lake to identify who is using the washer or dryer. The old ones have seen better days.

Knit linen scarf:

Yarn remaining from knit scarf:

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
AJ - Beautiful! I love all of it. Thanks for sharing.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Okay ladies you have convinced me to set aside time to do my sewing. I will get the sewing area set up this weekend and start. On Monday, setting an alarm sounds like a good idea. I used sewing as my motivation for cleaning but the type I am doing know is going to take a while. Plus, I have a lot of cooking to do for the wedding. Precooking our meals because of food allergies to avoid cross contamination.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Nice job DD!

I ran to a quilt show this a.m.. A small one and it took more time to drive there and back than the time I was there. I got mom a thread catcher. I brought a pattern a few years back but..... I got one several years back from the 12 Days of Christmas swap and use it all the time. Also got a black and white panel that looks like a newspaper page about grandparents and grandkids. Thought a wall hanging maybe. Then I brought a ornament for $1. They had several quilts on display that their guild members had made.

I have to get my material cut and the block sewn for sewing club Tuesday night.

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
Getting skirt and pj’s cut out is as far as I got this week. I had no problem adjusting to Amsterdam time—think the one hr sleep on an overnight flight help with that but my body is giving me a hard time adjusting back to home time. Hopefully I can get so things done next week.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
DD beautiful work - boy you were tight on the yarn for the scarf!