Crafters Challenge September 16th-22nd, 2018

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
WELCOME! WELCOME! WELCOME!

So much is getting accomplished by all of you! So Proud of you!

I did finally get the material and supplies to do all of the turkey potholders that I decided to do for the12 Days of Christmas Swap. I have all but the mini thimbles for the 3" hoop ornament that I am doing. So need to start that stuff.

DD, great job of sewing after your outing.

What is on your list to do for the holidays?

I would like to do:

Acorn and turkey potholders for my sister for Thanksgiving along with a fall table runner

microwave bowl holders for Christmas for younger sister and mom

finish up the armchair sewing organizer for mom (that I made for swap last year)

Have to do the 13 potholders and ornaments and ship by .... not sure of deadline

Will do some small snowman canvas ornaments (like I did for Christmas in July swap on here) for friends and family

Star ornament for friends and family

Thats all I can think of at this time!

HAPPY CRAFTING:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lana, WOW that is quite the to do list.
Hoping to continue on the snowmen this week.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Lana, that all sounds like so much fun!

I have fallen behind in my projects the last couple of weeks (and haven't kept up too much here either). I've ended piecing my quilt back but it is almost finshed. Hopefully the end of the week I can start quilting.

I did finish my dress. At first I didn't think the bust fit me well but it's amazing what a new bra can do for you!!! It's a wearable muslin-so not all that thrilled with the fabric ( Walmart cheapie) but overall it turned out much better than I thought it would.

2 weeks ago I went to first annual quilters gathering in Berlin. I wasn't all that thrilled. In all fairness to them, I've been dealing with health issues so maybe it was just me and not them. I did pick up some fabric and a pattern. Last weekend it was a quilt show in Mt Hope. It was pretty nice even though I only bought 2 fat quarters. They were giving out bottles of Best Press with a coupon for a free refill at the shop. Does anyone use it? I always buy spray starch.

Plans this week- work on that quilt. It needs finished and it's taking up a lot of space in my sewing room. I have stack of sewing projects including my fall purse and wallet and some tops to make for me.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007

Greetings!

Lana ~ Your list looks about as long as mine! Best wishes with it!

Katrina ~ Those snowmen are the cutest! You may inspire me to make some. I do need to figure out some ornaments for the grandchildren.

Myron’s Mom ~ It’s nice to have a dress pattern that you know you like. You can make it in other fabrics. What is the pattern? I use Sta-flo and mix it 50/50 in a spray bottle. Spray it on fabric and let it soak in for a minute, then iron. If I iron right away, it will get flakey and for that reason I spray it on the wrong side of the fabric. I don’t have that problem if I let it soak in though. People love the Best Press, and if you can get it at a good price, you might like it. For economy, though, I use Sta-flo.

I have six large plastic drawers for storage under my sewing table extension. One is stuffed full of projects for DD#2 and family, one is not quite as full of projects for DD#1 and family, one is brim full of projects for me, one is just as full of miscellaneous projects for some unknown, lucky recipient. One drawer I’m using to put the advent mitten project into when I’m not working on it. The other is pretty full of felt. Then there's the bookshelf full of craft books, patterns, Iris boxes with stash fabrics and UFO projects. The studio also has two large cabinets with doors to hide some totes of fabrics, yarn, CCS charts/kits; and did I mention all the supplies required to do all that crafting? TMI? hahahahaha

This week I hope to work on the prayer shawl (need to get to a point where I can measure and decide if I need to get one more skein of yarn); Advent mittens; felt kit Christmas stocking; decide on Christmas ornaments and gifts for DGKs; maybe the lake loft quilts.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
My goal for this week is to finish a sweater I'm making for DD1. I'm dedicating an hour or so a night. Last week I did the back and fronts, so this week it's the sleeves and assembly of the finished product.

( I always try to give the kids each a home made present - last year I didn't get them done in time and DD7 told me the only thing that was sad about Christmas morning was that she didn't get something I made. She said she likes knowing I'm thinking of her, making her something when she's sleeping. So now I'm motivated to get them done on time this year!)

Reactions: luludou

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
FrostyShimmer a couple years ago the grandsons mentioned that they wanted one piece pj’s. Me and knit fabrics do not get along so I let them know I would be buying them instead of making. Within two days they texted me their sizes and waist measurements. There was no way they said it would be Christmas without homemade pj’s from grandma. The pj’s started years ago when oldest wanted me to make them something clothes wise.

This week I need to:
()make some sorry for your loss cards—need to get two in the mail and I am out.
()make two soup bowl hot pads—one fully made and one in two parts to show how it’s done
()invites for our church lady activity night in October
()get my skirt cut out and start sewing on it if time

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I went to knitting lady this morning and my pair of socks are finished! I will need to press them though.
So I'll be working on the reading wrap this week. Still have lots to do before Halloween and for Christmas too. I also need to figure out what I want to do for next year's ornaments so I can buy the supplies while the Christmassy ones are out in stores.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Got a great start on my felt campfire toy project this weekend. All the flame pieces cut out and 2 of them (out of 6 are done) with a good start on a third! Cut some pieces to the felt "logs" but need to finish cutting.

Also did some work on felt unicorn ornament - it is almost done.

Also made 2 birthday cards!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
FrostyShimmer a couple years ago the grandsons mentioned that they wanted one piece pj’s. Me and knit fabrics do not get along so I let them know I would be buying them instead of making. Within two days they texted me their sizes and waist measurements. There was no way they said it would be Christmas without homemade pj’s from grandma. The pj’s started years ago when oldest wanted me to make them something clothes wise.

That's so nice really. Everyone always says kids don't appreciate the effort that goes into homemade gifts, but I think many of them do. I've felt terribly guilty all year for not finishing my projects last year! I wish I could make Christmas pjs. Me and any kind of fabric don't get along. :)

Reactions: luludou

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio

Greetings!

Lana ~ Your list looks about as long as mine! Best wishes with it!

Katrina ~ Those snowmen are the cutest! You may inspire me to make some. I do need to figure out some ornaments for the grandchildren.

Myron’s Mom ~ It’s nice to have a dress pattern that you know you like. You can make it in other fabrics. What is the pattern? I use Sta-flo and mix it 50/50 in a spray bottle. Spray it on fabric and let it soak in for a minute, then iron. If I iron right away, it will get flakey and for that reason I spray it on the wrong side of the fabric. I don’t have that problem if I let it soak in though. People love the Best Press, and if you can get it at a good price, you might like it. For economy, though, I use Sta-flo.

I have six large plastic drawers for storage under my sewing table extension. One is stuffed full of projects for DD#2 and family, one is not quite as full of projects for DD#1 and family, one is brim full of projects for me, one is just as full of miscellaneous projects for some unknown, lucky recipient. One drawer I’m using to put the advent mitten project into when I’m not working on it. The other is pretty full of felt. Then there's the bookshelf full of craft books, patterns, Iris boxes with stash fabrics and UFO projects. The studio also has two large cabinets with doors to hide some totes of fabrics, yarn, CCS charts/kits; and did I mention all the supplies required to do all that crafting? TMI? hahahahaha

This week I hope to work on the prayer shawl (need to get to a point where I can measure and decide if I need to get one more skein of yarn); Advent mittens; felt kit Christmas stocking; decide on Christmas ornaments and gifts for DGKs; maybe the lake loft quilts.

Dahlia thank you for the tip about Sta-flo. I'm going to give that a try.
My pattern is Vogue 8972. I've made the full skirt with the 3/4 sleeve. I think when I make it again I'll add a little extra length to it. Sian Singleton from Kittenish Behavior does a sew along for this pattern which is very helpful. Actually any of her sew alongs are great. That's where I learned how to make the necessary clutch wallet.
Your craft room sounds like mine!!! It is jammed packed with- well you name it I might just have it!! As my friend Jackie said to me "This is were all the magic happens"
I finished piecing my quilt back today. It's all pressed ready to be layered with the top and the batting tomorrow.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Tonight is the quilting club so will be home after 9 and will leave home about 7:15 for work. It only meets once a month. Starting a study on the color wheel for a few months.

Named the club last month Gone to Pieces. Was between that and Itchin to be Stitchin.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Was finished a whole piece of my sweater last night when I realized I'd misread the measurements for where to put the buttons. Had to frog the whole piece and start over. Oh well, this is why we start these things early :)

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

This place starts hoppin' this time of year! Thanks for sharing the wonderful stories of grandchildren's appreciation of your gifts! It's heartwarming.

FS ~ That sounds like a lot of knitting in one week. Hope you can show us the results.

AJ ~ The campfire will be a fun toy. Will it have smores makin's to go with it?

Myron's Mom ~ That looks like a very versatile pattern with many different looks.

Lana ~ Great name for your quilt group!

I don't feel like I've gotten much crafting done in the last couple days. I did make a baby towel for a belated shower gift. I wasn't able to attend the shower but wanted to give a gift. I'm not sure I'll have much time today, but if I do, I could make a couple more blocks for the lake loft quilts or work on some Advent mittens.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Worked more on felt campfire set last night - 4 out of 6 pieces for the "flames" are ready. Made a small start on the 5th.

I am planning to make felt marshmallows and hot glue them over the ends of dowel rods cut to size. Will do a felt "handle" on the other end of the rod to cover all poky parts! lol

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Went to the big craft store today and found the small embroidery hoops that I have been looking for. I would like a few more so am still looking on ebay. Means I can at least plan to start those at some stage.

I agree, this place is hopping at the moment, we are all hitting top gear.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Last night at the meeting we got an assignment for next month. To make a quilt block using 4 to colors that will be monochromatic. I am pretty sure I will do blue. Might do the card trick block---but will see. I looked shortly at some after getting home.

She gave us a straw and half a pipe cleaner and you insert it about 1/2" into the straw and then staple across it to hold it in and then you have a longer little brush to clean around bobbin and in machine.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Finished felt unicorn ornament yesterday - all that is left is to hot glue on a button to hide where I attached the ornament "hanger"...

Also worked of felt campfire flames...hope to do more tonight!

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
Got the sweater finished and the beret of the 18 inch doll set done. Decided that I will do the leggings next and found that I didn’t have 3.5 mm double pointed needles or a second cable needle so off to Walmart this morning we when for a nice little walk. I like to use two cable needles instead of the double pointed.

Also have the two bowl hotpads cut out but felt too tired last night to make them. Will have to do that tonight.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
My quilt is all sandwiched and ready to be quilted. I decided to work on a few other projects before I start quilting.
I embroidered my husbands t shirt that he has been waiting on. I did a sample embroidery/appliqué pumpkin for a fleece shirt I have but of course it's too big for the shirt. It's so cute , I've tried to size it down but it's not going to work. Im pretty sure the one I picked out for my other shirt is too big too. I'm glad I did a sample before hand. I guess I'll root through my files again tonight. I should have taken a closer look at my shirt before I started looking at my files. Next time I'll know better at least I hope so.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul