Crafters Challenge September 23rd-September 29th, 2018

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Good Morning!

3 months from tomorrow is Christmas Eve!

Last night started cutting and trying to decide on the 3" hoop ornaments. Got some of Aunt Gracies fabrics to do them in. Want to get them sewn together so at lunch can do the hand stitching on them. Then with the turkeys can cut some of them out during lunch.

Have to iron the turkey fabric first.

Do you all wash your fabrics before sewing? I normally do. I like working with it better when not but......

Last week people achieved alot. Alittle time here and there goes a LONG way.

Can't wait to hear and see what people do this week!!!!

Reactions: AuntJamelle

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Wow, is Christmas really so close?

I didn't meet my goal last week of finishing DD1's sweater....I didn't expect to have to re-knit that one front piece three times.....still have one more sleeve to make and to add the trim and buttons, so that's my goal for the week, plus deciding on what to make DD5 and DD7.

Lana - I bought a pillowcase kit once and washed all the pieces, but they all frayed apart and I couldn't do anything with it - but I am horrible with all things involving fabric and sewing :) My mother studied fashion and design and took courses in fabric care etc. and always tells me everything has to be washed first if you ever want to be able to wash it.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I am f inally home from my travels. On to Christmas prep. This week crafting will involve the organization of craft projects and set up to begin the sewing of gifts.

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Gosh, 3 months. I better get moving. This week will be spent tidying up a few loose ends.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

Back to a little civilization today (and internet). I was able to get a paper-piece quilt pattern copied today and have been knitting on the prayer shawl as well as a new scarf for myself.

I don't pre-wash fabric unless it's something that I think needs to be pre-shrunk (like flannel or fabric for placemats). I like the puckered look of quilts after they are washed, so don't pre-wash (shrink) that fabric.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Glued button onto felt unicorn ornament to hide where I sewed on the hanger - so that is done!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135134547@N04/43076203300/in/dateposted-public/

Cut out and drew on embroider patterns to pieces of felt for wood "logs" - both the main parts and the end pieces.

Embroidered all 6 end pieces and have started on the first log. Also cut one dart piece for flames - will test that out and then cut the other two once I know it works.

Craft area saw some clean up this weekend - picked up pack of nice brads for paper crafts and a couple fo sheets of glittery paper for the same - all were $0.99 each on clearance.

Hope to get circles and other various shapes for Halloween classroom treat bags cut this week and a kit assembled so I can start working on them in the evenings.

Have been spending time on my lunch hour and while waiting for DS at taekwondo classes to work on the felt campfire pieces.

I also cut a long sash out of red felt for DS this weekend - he was thrilled because he could add his Jr Paleontologist badge and the pin he got from tournament this weekend - I've been promising to do that for him forever and finally got it done!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I have about 5 of the small quilt ornaments done. Well still waiting on mini thimbles from China. Ordered around 8-22 and expected by Oct. 1st. Worked on them at lunch today.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I have half a sleeve to go on my sweater, then the trim and buttons. Hoping I can finish it tonight. :)

My daughter asked me to knit her a bag for her dance shoes. That seems to me more like a sewing project than a knitting project. Dare I *gulp* try to sew one for her? Perhaps I can find some good fabric glue, lol

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
Getting some knitting in this week and hope to get the leggings done in the next couple days. Just half a leg to knit and yarn ends to sew in.
Decided that with everything I have going on this week that my skirt will just have to wait till I get back from my trip. Will add it to my list of things I want to get done in October.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I just saw some gorgeous pumpkins mad out of toilet paper rolls on Facebook. So easy...I wonder if I have the time to add pumpkins to the list.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
FrostyShimmer ~ A knit bag would be cute. If you don't want to knit or sew one, how about a Furoshiki:
I think you could use a large, pretty scarf for this.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I've made good progress on felt campfire! Two of the 3 "log" pieces are embroidered now and I made a really good start on sewing up the first of the "flames" as well.

Also used Cricut to cut almost all the pieces needed for Halloween Monster treat bags. Assembled a kit with all items. Then realized I forgot to cut the monster "horns" but that will be simple enough to do another night. I was just praying the power didn't go out in the middle of using the Cricut - we had really bad storms last night!

Hoping to push through on felt campfire and finish by beginning of next week so I can move ON! Have a lot left on my list.

I've prioritized projects and also eliminated some - as usual I planned more than was possible - or at least at this stage in the game it's more than is possible!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I just saw some gorgeous pumpkins mad out of toilet paper rolls on Facebook. So easy...I wonder if I have the time to add pumpkins to the list.

Do you mean toilet paper rolls wrapped in orange fabric to look like pumpkins? I did those the other day. Added a cinnamon stick for a stem and knit a few little green leaves to top it off :) Super easy and quick and not something you have to store year to year, other than a bit of fabric.

Reactions: luludou

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Frosty, yes they are they ones. I thought that too! Once you have finished with them you can use the toilet paper and pop the fabric away for another time. I think I will give it a go.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I've been continuing to plug away at felt campfire project. Everything is ready for assembly now. Started sewing up the first "log" last night. Am about halfway through having "flames" ready to be stuffed and then finished being sewn up. I am going to fill small Ziploc bags with clean sand and then wrap them completely in pacing tape before slipping into the bottoms of each piece. Then I will finish filling them the rest of the way with normal fluff stuff. DH suggested I hot glue the sand bags in place so they don't slip around and I think that should work. Still need to tackle the marshmallows on sticks too!

Have I mentioned I love making toys? :)

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

Just doing some knitting on our camping trip. I'm nearing completion of the prayer shawl. I did start on a little CCS chart the other day, too.

We are camping at Cascade Locks, Oregon. Going to see the Bridge of the Gods Quilt Block Trail today.
http://www.cascadelocks.com/attracti...t-block-trail/

Last edited:

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Finished all the pieces to DD1's sweater. As I hate sewing things together, I put that off for another day :)

I think I'm going to make balaclavas for my other daughters. They've been asking forever. I found a nice free pattern online made with aran wool (all the patterns I had used fingering, which was much more daunting.) There are big cables in it too, but it's working up surprisingly fast. DD7 has an adult-sized head, so making a normal one for her first - then I'll see if I can size it down for DD5.

AuntJamelle: That sounds like such a cute toy. My girls love to play they're on a campout.

Frosty, yes they are they ones. I thought that too! Once you have finished with them you can use the toilet paper and pop the fabric away for another time. I think I will give it a go.

My girls had a great time making them. They're so cute and so simple - but I'm still running into the bathroom like "NO! Don't unwrap it, I'll go grab you another roll from the closet!" which kind of defeats the purpose. :)

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Come winter you can turn those rolls from pumpkins to snowmen.:rolleyes: