Crafters Challenge September 23rd-September 29th, 2018

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
rose94 - Are you making a wardrobe for an 18" doll? Do you mind me asking where you found your patterns? DD5 broke her 18" doll today, so I'm thinking I'll get her a new one for Christmas, and if so, I'd like to make a little something to go with it.

Rose94

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ontario Canadaa
rose94 - Are you making a wardrobe for an 18" doll? Do you mind me asking where you found your patterns? DD5 broke her 18" doll today, so I'm thinking I'll get her a new one for Christmas, and if so, I'd like to make a little something to go with it.

Yes I am doing a wardrobe for a 18inch doll for my DGD. Am trying to use up some of my scraps. I have a McCall doll outfit pattern that I grabbed when my local fabric store put all McCall’s patterns on for $5.00. The pattern has a dress, top, pants, nightgown, coat, jumper, hat etc. The outfit I am knitting is a kit from Mary Maxim.
If you are just making a couple outfits there are free patterns on the internet. Other sewing pattern companies make 18” doll patterns as well.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Jody, what a great idea of turning the pumpkins into snowmen.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Everyone has been so busy this week!

Been working on getting my quilting done. I had a giant spool of thread that I thought would be plenty. But it's not I didn't count on my pattern being what I call a double run- it's using a ton of thread. The thread is not one of my favorites it's variegated and isn't very smooth so it tends to break. I'll pick some up ( I hope) this week when I go to a 3 day embroidery event.

In the meantime I've been working on a fall purse set for me. The necessary clutch wallet and the little lacie bag are done. The purse will be finished tomorrow.

I've been trying to find a gold slide adjuster for a strap to make the wallet a optional cross body. I live kinda out of the way so my options around here are very limited. I tried Joanne's when we were in canton but no luck. Then I thought I would use two d rings but, couldn't find the right size for that either. I'll have to try michaels or the big Joanne's in Hudson later this week.

Next is my Christmas purse set. I have a new purse pattern, all the hardware and, my fabric. It can keep me busy until I get more quilting thread.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
About half way through my balaclava. It's knitting up much bigger than expected, which is surprising to me as I'm using the suggested weight of yarn and needles, and I'm a tight knitter, so I usually go up a needle size. Thinking I'll have to go down a size and maybe use DK rather than Aran when I make DD5's. Luckily DD7 has a really big head, lol.

Yes I am doing a wardrobe for a 18inch doll for my DGD. Am trying to use up some of my scraps. I have a McCall doll outfit pattern that I grabbed when my local fabric store put all McCall’s patterns on for $5.00. The pattern has a dress, top, pants, nightgown, coat, jumper, hat etc. The outfit I am knitting is a kit from Mary Maxim.
If you are just making a couple outfits there are free patterns on the internet. Other sewing pattern companies make 18” doll patterns as well.

I bought a book that was meant to teach little girls how to sew back around 1910 and each lesson involves making a garment for an 18-inch doll. It's kind of neat because while the outfits were meant to be be modern for the time, they're all very old-fashioned now. If I can find the time I'd like to work through all the lessons and I have no sewing skills.

Luckily there is a matching book meant to teach knitting and crochet to little girls, so I got that one as well for my oldest daughter to work through as she wants to learn to knit and crochet. If I can't figure out the sewing, at least the poor doll will have something to keep her warm :)

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
...I bought a book that was meant to teach little girls how to sew back around 1910 and each lesson involves making a garment for an 18-inch doll. It's kind of neat because while the outfits were meant to be be modern for the time, they're all very old-fashioned now. ...
FS ~ I'd love to know the name of the book. I have a friend who might like to try to get it.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
FS ~ I'd love to know the name of the book. I have a friend who might like to try to get it.

It's the Mary Frances Sewing Book 100th Anniversary Edition. The knitting one is the Mary Frances Knitting and Crocheting Book.

Original versions were for a 14 or 16 inch doll, which was the standard then, so the sizes have been updated.