Crafters Challenge September 8th---14th, 2019

Discussion in 'Crafters Challenges' started by Lana, Sep 8, 2019.

1. Lana

Lana Well-Known Member

Good Mornin!

Alot of progress was made last week it seemed on the site.

Allen has just a little recutting on the pattern. It is 40" long and starts at 9" and then tapers down to 5". One side has to be cut slightly. With baling this week nothing much else done.

I am hoping to get some of the things sprayed and glitter in them to dry and get them done. At this shop Christmas items go out October 1st.

What are you plans for the week?

Myron's Mom likes this.
  2. DahliaDoll

DahliaDoll Well-Known Member

Greetings!

I will be going to Open Sew on Tuesday and plan to work on the birthday banner. All the letters have been machine embroideried, so they are ready to be cut to the proper size and sewn together. I will need to get some ribbon to sew them to.

I'll also be continuing to knit on the prayer shawl, trying to finish that up so that I can start some socks; and also working on the CCS birth record, maybe the yo-yo elephant …

Myron's Mom and Lana like this.
  3. GrammaDeb

GrammaDeb Well-Known Member

Still crocheting on the baby blanket. Only 40 rows left.

Myron's Mom likes this.
  4. FrostyShimmer

FrostyShimmer Well-Known Member

I have a new project to start. DD6 wanted a drawstring bag for her ballet shoes....only $25. I figured I should be able make one so we found a piece of fabric in the remnant pile....fancy bright pink stuff with metallic gold dots all over it. I bought a ribbon to be a string, and now I'm just trying to figure out an easy way to make a simple drawstring bag.

I've done four more rows on my shawl.

The mittens I planned on making DD8 call for kilt straps, but no one here sells them, so I think I'll have to scrap that and choose new mittens to make for her.

Myron's Mom and Ahorsesoul like this.
  5. DahliaDoll

DahliaDoll Well-Known Member

Greetings!

Today I got all the banner pieces and, hopefully, all the supplies I will need, ready to take to Open Sew on Tuesday.

I also made some progress on the CCS birth record, the prayer shawl, and the yo-yo elephant.

Bits and pieces!

Myron's Mom likes this.
  6. Rose94

Rose94 Well-Known Member

All I got done last week was some knitting.

This week I really need to get my act together and get done this week
    Finish knitting the shawl—22 more rows
    Bibs for baby gift
    Baby gift card
    Get snaps so I can finish my mending pile.
    My nightgowns that have been cut out for almost a year.

Myron's Mom likes this.
  7. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

Not going well, stuck on the socks... and baby blanket is a bit crooked, think I'll have to undo that too :rolleyes:

Myron's Mom likes this.
  8. GrammaDeb

Well that's frustrating!

Myron's Mom likes this.
  9. Rose94

Rose94 Well-Known Member

Maybe one of us can help you—What part of the sock are you stuck on?

Myron's Mom likes this.
  10. luludou

For the sock, I see a small hole… I undid up to there and redid a few rows, still see a hole - will try stopping by the knitting lady on Monday.
    Tore off a few rows on the blanket and redid them… not sure how it's going - I may have to undo the whole thing and try a new pattern. it's when I turn the row that I have problems.

Myron's Mom likes this.
  11. Rose94

Rose94 Well-Known Member

The small hole may be from doing a couple stitches looser than the rest or a little tighter. If that is the case a washing and blocking should even out the stitches.

When you turn your rows in crocheting be sure after you do the crochet turn chain that you remember that chain is actually your first stitch and you make your next stitch in the next crochet (2nd) stitch. If you crochet right up against the turning chain—first stitch than your piece becomes wonky.

Myron's Mom likes this.
  12. luludou

Thanks Rose - I think you might be right for the hole in the sock but I'll let the knitting lady look at it to be sure.

As for the crochet it's more the pattern that makes me doubt. It's one like this https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/easy-crochet-baby-blanket-pattern-978033
    huh-huh I think this pattern tells about the turning, will see if I can understand it properly tonight.

Myron's Mom likes this.
  13. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

Can you purchase kilt straps from ebay or another online store?

Myron's Mom likes this.
  14. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

Lucie, that is a gorgeous blanket. Keep persevering with it. Remember that it is hand made and there will always be some variation.

I have hit such a wall with crafting, have not done anything for weeks. It has been busy here with Spring cleaning and with DH and FIL health issues.
    Luckily I have done most of the things that I need for Christmas but I am aching to get some more things done. Will just have to find the time.

You are all doing so well.

luludou and Myron's Mom like this.
  15. Myron's Mom

Myron's Mom Well-Known Member

Rose, I’m always screwing up turning when I crochet. I really have to stop and think about it.
    Luludou, that is a pretty blanket. I need to practice on my scarf that I’m going to pull apart and start over before I tackle something that big.
    Frosty, you can find kilt straps on amazon ( I had to look up what they were). You should be able to find some instruction on draw string bags on line. I’ve made several and they are easy to do. I put a lining in mine so it’s easy to make a casing for the draw string.
    I finished the Marshall quilt top this morning. The pattern is called northern cardinal by Doug Leko. ( the nutcracker quilt pattern was called wood rose ‘n’ winter by the same designer). It went together pretty fast. It looks like I have to fiddle with the picture to post.
    I’m done sewing for the week. I’m going to clean house until I get the quilt backing next week. Will be a nice break, I think. Have a safe week everyone.

16. GrammaDeb

Lucie, pretty blanket. It's one of my favorite stitches/patterns. I do my edges different, though.

luludou likes this.
  17. Myron's Mom

Myron's Mom Well-Known Member

E1FAEF67-9D9D-43BB-8302-2A5FA5DCF7D7.jpeg
    I did it! Will have a black binding and a brown backing ( that’s what my husband wants). Still need to make a label for it too.

Lana and luludou like this.
  18. GrammaDeb

It's a fun quilt pattern. Love the colors.

19. Miss JoDee

Miss JoDee Well-Known Member

Almost done with 2nd sampler.

20. luludou

Myron's mom beautiful!
    I took a night off doing anything, so maybe tonight things will go smoother :)