Cutting the Clutter for Christmas!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

zchristy

Santa's Elves
I decided as I unpacked my Christmas stuff last year to make a box of the things that weren't my treasures...the stuff that was old or dated or knick-knacls that were ugly or un-used. I didn't want a house that Christmas vomited in (LOL) and was cramped and cluttered. Plus my little Victorian house is 990 sq feet, so decorating real estate is a premium. I wanted everything out to be a memory or something that I loved and cherished - all the stuff that never got put out went to the thrift store. And now I find unpacking it all is so much FUN!

Anybody else in the same boat, needing to cut back on the Christmasy clutter? Less in the boxes means the house gets decorated faster. :eek:)

Found a great article as well on the topic -

http://www.43folders.com/2007/07/02/clutter-discard-not-organize

mommytotwo

Retire Member
Oct 12, 2007
I felt that way last year as I was decorating my Christmas tree. Each year I like to buy a few new decorations, so as I was going through my ornaments, I tossed out ones that I did not want/use, ones that were broken....it made putting the ornaments away easier, and it felt like a slight weight had been lifted, to make the holidays much easier.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I did this last year. I went around and took pictures of all my rooms (for my notebook) and when I looked at the pix I thought "wow -- a lot of this Christmas stuff looks like CLUTTER" so I got rid of all the tiny decor stuff and only kept the big nice items that really made an impact. MUCH BETTER!!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I did that last year too!! I had some cheap stuff not nice at all and I donated it.

thood

MHH Member
Oct 18, 2007
I did this last year. I went around and took pictures of all my rooms (for my notebook) and when I looked at the pix I thought "wow -- a lot of this Christmas stuff looks like CLUTTER" so I got rid of all the tiny decor stuff and only kept the big nice items that really made an impact. MUCH BETTER!!

What I great idea. I would think taking pictures would allow you to step back and look at it from a different point of view to see what was more clutter than decoration. TFS!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Fabulous idea and one that I started last year...the main problem was that I was hugely pregnant and not allowed to go up and down the stairs - to the attic or basement - where most of my stuff is stored. My DH and mom decorated (and decided which boxes to open). Sadly, I have not gotten around to reorganizing the storage totes since they "repacked" them last year! I am putting this decoration declutter task at the top of my list! Thanks for sharing!

geckoace

Retire Member
Nov 12, 2008
I did this last year as i packed things away. there were things in the boxes that were never displayed but i had picked them up a bag sales cause they look christmasy. i freecycled them, lots of folks are just starting out and would appreciate my excess (hopefully). also we have very limited storage space and it is better for me if most things flat-pack so i am using alot of paper lanterns and wreaths made of old christmas cards and less breakable things.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Me! Me! Me! I want to do exactly the same thing this year..starting with the fall stuff. It has to be something nice and/or something beloved to stay. I have three or four tubs of cheap leaf garlands that look like....well, cheap leaf garlands. I am hoping to be able to toss them and pick up some nice ones from Hobby Lobby when they mark them down to half of half price..which they did last year the week before Thanksgiving!! OH, yeah, baby!! Scored a $40 garland for only $10!!

Then, I plan to do the same thing with Christmas. I really want things that are, as you say, "treasures" and not "junk".

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Cathymac don't throw away those cheap leaf garlands... make the swamp costume with it!!

iluv2scrap

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Michigan
www.facebook.com
Way to go everyone! You have inspired me to declutter my stuff when i pull it out this year, then i wont have so much to put away, lol. :)

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
I've held onto those cheap leaf garlands thinking I'd do something with them for years...and have yet to use them. So..out they go! I can replace them easier than I can store them any longer...storage space is at a premium around here.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
You are so right Cathymac. If you haven't used them .. you probably never will!

Decluttering is such a good feeling!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
CathyMac ---- I agree ------ Aggy is starting to outpace the pack! She is the Triple Crown Winner -- of the Kentucky Derby, The Belmont, and ---- whatever the Maryland race is called.

We all have to get used to the idea that ---- we may be able to get better organized! Somehow --- Aggy has done it! She has proved that it CAN be done.

Personally, I am just as stunned as everybody else! I just wasn't ready for somebody to do it so fast!!!!!

But.... we have to be prepared to go to a higher level! A higher level of organization. And --- of decluttering!!!

So --- let's sleep on it.

And then --- we will all hold hands --- and try to follow Aggy into a higher level of organization.

You know..... Aggy has cookies and cream ice cream. It may be possible for all of us to work really hard. And then - sit back with our own cookies and cream ice cream.

Personally......... I don't think I am going to make it.

"Real life stuff" just keeps appearing no matter what I do, HOWEVER........ I am happy to give it a try this weekend.

Talk to you tomorrow!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Sparklenana, you made me laugh. Cookies and cream ice cream just might do the trick...I might have to try that particular bribe...but actually vanilla is my favorite...hmm..I am going to give it a real solid effort tomorrow. As I told DH, it sure helps to start the week with a clean house and the laundry done.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
sounds like lot of us had the same idea. Two yrs ago right before christms we bought our first house. Before that we moved around and rented a lot so I hung onto a lof ot the stuff "just in case" for when we bought house. So last year was really the first year I felt like purging stuff. I got rid of a good amount of stuff that I had not used in year and finally realized I would never use. It felt good.

CanadianJingles

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
I agree if it's not meaningful, let it go! Let someone else enjoy it.

One thing that felt like decluttering my decorating was actually to just use some decorations differently. I had a ton of red ball ornaments for my tree and I wasn't loving them on the tree so last year (or the year before) I kept them off the tree and dumped them into a crystal bowl. I liked them in the bowl.

mrspaul

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
I did that two years ago at christmas - finally got rid of the 20 year old moving santa that was making creaking noises when he moved, and his falling off moustache and beard were really getting to look - just dirty - so out he went. Along with ornaments - like nutcrackers that only had on leg, a penguin dancing on a broken ball - why do we keep this stuff !! I tossed out my christmas train that no longer smoked or ran right - I tossed out a huge,moving skating park of christmas skaters that were just "jerking along with age" and not really gliding across the "simulated ice rink" ! - besides that - some of the cars to this set only had three wheels, it was time to let it go.

Ellen