February 2017 The Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Not much de-cluttering is happening at home. But some serious stuff is being moved out at school! We now have 61 kids in the entire school. The biulding was originally built for about 500. We have empty rooms, cupboards, art stores, sports rooms galore. Over the years this school has had a massive turn over of staff. Things have been kept, lost, hidden away etc.... I am slowly starting to go through them. I found some test papers form the 1970's! Sick notes from 1981 and a whole lot of other stuff, Much of it is junk but some of the stuff is now vintage/ retro. Most of it is in excellent condition. Eventually we are going to sell it to collectors or on ebay.

Our school is over funded and although the kids are extremely disadvantaged at home- they want for absolutely nothing at school.- and have more than any school could actually imagine. We are going to donate the money to educating kids in countries where education is not valued or funded. I hate to say it but most of these kids have no future- many will be lifelong welfare recipients and will end up in jail at some point. I want to show them that it is important to give back in some small way.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
Not much de-cluttering is happening at home. But some serious stuff is being moved out at school! We now have 61 kids in the entire school. The biulding was originally built for about 500. We have empty rooms, cupboards, art stores, sports rooms galore. Over the years this school has had a massive turn over of staff. Things have been kept, lost, hidden away etc.... I am slowly starting to go through them. I found some test papers form the 1970's! Sick notes from 1981 and a whole lot of other stuff, Much of it is junk but some of the stuff is now vintage/ retro. Most of it is in excellent condition. Eventually we are going to sell it to collectors or on ebay.

Our school is over funded and although the kids are extremely disadvantaged at home- they want for absolutely nothing at school.- and have more than any school could actually imagine. We are going to donate the money to educating kids in countries where education is not valued or funded. I hate to say it but most of these kids have no future- many will be lifelong welfare recipients and will end up in jail at some point. I want to show them that it is important to give back in some small way.

Tanya that is very sad. Our school district is very well funded by both state and there have been many individual donations to our district. For example we had a guy that would be at the highschool everyday collecting cams when I was in school we called him Joe the can man. Very elderly one of my friends made it aware to everyone to throw their cans in the back of his truck for Joe so he didnt have to pick then off the ground or search for them he would come get them everyday he was there all four lunch bells and talked to everyone. A few years later when he passed he left the school 2 million dollars in memory of "Joe the can man". We always thought he was just a poor man that needed the money. Two years ago a huge electronic sign went up near our athletic fields for sports and athletes accomplishments donated in the memory of someone. We are also the test district for many things our kids are given every opportunity to succeed. But however we do have a high drop out rate. That attributes to still being a regents along with common core state. We have 4 elementary schools so by highschool you have at least 400-500 students per grade. My son that is graduating this year as of right now they are a class of 365. Not sure what they started at but he says alot have dropped out

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I think any thing that is out the door is a good thing no matter how little.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Tanya that is a lovely gesture. Love the story of Joe the can man!

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
nothing got done yesterday my kids had me running after work, also picked up my niece for awhile. Not sure about today since it is pouring here

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Any idea who I could give my card making magazines to? I haven't looked at them in years and I'd like to pass them along...they're a few years old but I'd hate to just toss them

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I'm thinking Diedra might like card making magazines if your talking about an individual. If it's a group it could be a home group for the elderly

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I decluttered some old magazines. A few recipes books are going to mom's. threw away some pens and markers that didn't work anymore + giving away some ... got rid of about 40 of them... still have at least 5 times that all around the house.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Deep cleaning our lounge room today. I really don't have a lot to declutter in here. This is where we watch TV and really not to much else. I have washed all the throw rugs and cushions in here and have set up my electric wax warmer. Trying to get this room cozy for the upcoming Autumn and winter.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I dropped off a huge box and two bags of stuff at the consignment shop Saturday on my way home from Monroe. Today, she posted on FB that they are so swamped with donations they aren't taking anymore until further notice. So thankful I was able to drop off Saturday!!

Christmaslvr, check with a local school's art department. They may want them.