February 2018 Rudolph Day

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Rudolph Day is coming, only three days away!

February's movie, hosted by Sugarplum, is 12 Dates of Christmas and it is available on Netflix.

Don't forget to check back here and let us know how you spent your day.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I will be away from home this Rudy day spending the weekend with my DrillDance team. I will have my planner and Ipad with me so will hopefully sneak a little Christmas in there.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I will be away from home this Rudy day spending the weekend with my DrillDance team. I will have my planner and Ipad with me so will hopefully sneak a little Christmas in there.
I just realized we will be out of the house all day on the 25th so I'm moving mine to the 24th or 26th, to be determined. Have fun with the team! Is it a competition? If so, best of luck!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I plan on making some cookies, burning a Christmas tart in my tart warmer and reading a Christmas Magazine that I bought before Christmas but never got the chance to read. I actually misplaced it and just found it last week while decluttering an area LOL

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Sounds like that magazine turned up right when it was needed, Minta! :)

I am planning some recipe tests on the 25th - one cookie recipe at least that if successful will go on Christmas baking list this year. I'm also trying out a variation of my cheeseball recipe - will make as mini cheeseballs for our Christmas party if we like it. We'll see what else I may do...depends on how long my energy holds out!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
AJ, Is that the pretzel cookie recipe. We have already eaten almost of of them. I'm ready to make more.

Reactions: Minta

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I look forward to watching the movie - I don't think I've seen it; and I plan to make a cookie recipe I didn't get made for Christmas.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
We just watched the movie - loved it. I baked my Christmas Bohemian Braid - it was enjoyed by all. I didn't get to my CIJ ornaments - that will have to wait til another day.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Pamela, yes a competition and it was fun.
No Christmas planning for me so am moving Rudy day to the 28th. Shhhhh, don't tell anyone.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
i worked yesterday then had a family birthday party so today was rudy day. watched movie and checked my gift closet out. also found some gift christmas bags and paper in my room. put them in my room where i keep all my decoations at.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Tested my cheeseball recipe - turned out pretty good but it needs some more oomph...thinking of adding 1/2 of a packet of ranch dressing mix next time. Maybe some chopped cooked bacon - both to the inside and to the coating.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Tested my cheeseball recipe - turned out pretty good but it needs some more oomph...thinking of adding 1/2 of a packet of ranch dressing mix next time. Maybe some chopped cooked bacon - both to the inside and to the coating.

Depending on what type of cheese you are using you can add chopped fresh dill or chives for some added oomph.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Good idea, Minta! I almost added chives! I'm using freshly shredded Asiago and cheddar + the cream cheese. I didn't have any sharp cheddar and had to use mild - which I know we'd prefer - has more flavor I think. But dill is a great idea for sure! I might try dill, chives and using sharp cheddar first before adding the ranch mix.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Good idea, Minta! I almost added chives! I'm using freshly shredded Asiago and cheddar + the cream cheese. I didn't have any sharp cheddar and had to use mild - which I know we'd prefer - has more flavor I think. But dill is a great idea for sure! I might try dill, chives and using sharp cheddar first before adding the ranch mix.

I LOVE Asiago .. and I love using fresh herbs, they always add so much flavor. Mind sharing the recipe for the cheeseball? :)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
The cheeseball sounds great. I think Rudy days are great times to try new recipes. I know that I would rather try things in advance so I know if it will be a hit or not at Christmas.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Cheeseball:

8 oz cream cheese softened
4 oz (half stick) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup freshly shredded Asiago
1 cup freshly shredded Sharp Cheddar
1 head garlic, roasted, squeezed out and minced (cut off top of head, place on foil, drizzle with olive oil, fold up foil leaving room around garlic, roast at 400 for 45 minutes)

OPTIONS: add fresh or freeze dried chives, maybe 1 to 2 T? 1.5 tsp dried dill? or 1/2 packet Ranch dressing mix; Sub blue cheese for the Asiago, reducing to 1/2 cup or to taste. Really any cheese with a good flavor would work! Aged, smoked, whatever!

COATING OPTIONS: I usually use well chopped pecans that I roast first. 5 minutes at 350 keeping close eye on them! You can toss the pecans with dried parsley - just eyeball it, maybe 1-2 T. Cooked, crumbled bacon is another great option to mix with the pecan coating. Another good variation is to roast the chopped pecans in a frying pan over medium heat with 1 tsp brown sugar. Stir until sugar melts, coats the nuts and starts to caramelize. Then remove from heat and stir in your herbs and or bacon.

SHAPING TIP: Line a glass cereal bowl with plastic wrap, extra hanging over the sides. Pack cheeseball mixture down into bowl, pressing firmly and leveling off the top. Fold extra plastic wrap back over it and pop it in the fridge for a few hours or overnight. When firm use the plastic wrap to help lift it out of the bowl - peel off wrap and roll in topping. I like this because it's easy, fast and gives it a nice flat bottom for sitting on the serving plate.

BUTTER TIP: Pretty much any cheeseball recipe I've ever made is improved by adding the 1/2 stick of softened butter! Learned that from making them from mixes I used to buy years ago that had that as an option on the box! You could use salted butter but only if you don't add other really salty things, like ranch dressing mix.

Reactions: PamelaG and Minta