First Monday in October 10/1/2018

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PamelaG, Oct 1, 2018.

1. PamelaG

PamelaG Moderator Staff Member

Good morning!

2. PamelaG

PamelaG Moderator Staff Member

Ran out this morning to take a load to the consignment shop. Since we are most likely looking at putting our things in storage next year, at least for three months, anything that we can live without is going. Remember the 11 sets of dishes? We're down to 9 now! with one more going when they start taking Christmas items. It's really motivation for a giant PURGE! Came home to start laundry and take delivery of the new taillight for Sophia's car. Did I update everyone on the latest? We're taking the lower settlement from the insurance company and reclaiming the car. Vic is out there this week for work so he'll add on a couple of days' leave and fix it. Taillight was supposed to be in on Saturday so he could carry it with him but shipping mix-up by supplier meant it arrived today so I have to mail it to Sophia.

Off to a friend's house this afternoon. She has a Silhouette and will give me a little tutorial on how it works so I can see if it's what I want. Silhouette..Cameo...Cricut...Sizzix, so many different machines and I have no clue what does what.

Anyone watching the new seasons of The Durrells in Corfu and Poldark that premiered on PBS last night?

3. MrsSoup

MrsSoup Well-Known Member

Aloha!

Pamela- Sorry the taillight came late, hope it gets there in time! I have always wondered about those machines as well.

I took Melatonin last night instead of my migraine pill to try to get some sleep. I was still up frequently but feel like maybe I got more sleep than I have been. So far, so good this morning, hope it stays that way. I was reading that some people with migraines take 10mg of Melatonin every night. I took 5mg last night. I would want to ask my doctor before I started doing anything like that. I was trying to figure out if there would be an interaction if I took the Melatonin and my migraine pill, the drug interaction website said no, but I still didn't take both. I took a nice hot bath with my epsom salt as well.

Nothing on the schedule today except homework. I need to finish reading this chapter and taking notes. That's priority today. If I get that finished and don't have a headache, then i'll tackle the built-in desk area because it has piled up and is driving me crazy.

I'm allowing DD to ride her bike to school today. She's been good all weekend and goes back to the doctor tomorrow morning. She's in excellent shape and healthy otherwise so I think she'll be fine. I told her not to go trying to beat any speed records or anything. She has band after school and rain may move in so I can always go pick her up and we could leave her bike there because her appointment is first thing in the morning so her bike would already be there for her to ride home tomorrow after school. Hmm, will have to talk about that when she comes down.

Enjoy your day!

4. AuntJamelle

AuntJamelle Well-Known Member

Pam - Good luck on picking a machine! I've always had Cricuts and I love my Cricut Explore - I'm sure there are 15 new models since I got mine 4 years ago but I love it. The hardest part for me was learning the software you have to use with it now but once I got the hang of it it has been a life saver! I use it for cardmaking, cutting templates for craft projects and a lot for various classroom treat projects, birthday party decorations, etc. I also cut various Christmas shapes in plain white or other colors and use them as decor on packages - I ship a lot of packages so flat decor is helpful!

MrsSoup - So sorry to hear about the migraine/sleeping troubles! One thing I can recommend personally is CBD oil - it is both for pain, stress relief and to help you sleep. It does NOT contain THC - just anti inflammatory good stuff. It should be legal in any state but Hawaii was one of the first I believe. I recently took a trip to CO and between jet lag and altitude sickness I was feeling awful - had a massage with CBD oil and felt like a new woman immediately. We've ordered some cream for DH and he loves it. You can get it to take orally as well. Just a thought! Over time your body will slowly need more and more melatonin to get to sleep - but it's a good natural choice and it takes some time before you might need to up the dosage.

My October got off to a rocky start today. After dropping DS off at school I had to swerve to avoid hitting a dog on a country road. Oncoming traffic meant I swerved to the outside edge (i.e. corn fields and telephone poles). Just clipped a telephone pole with with right side mirror - knocked the mirror clean off - UGH!!!!

Could have been worse! Dog ran away - he was fine! LOL

It was a busy weekend - lots of cooking, baking and cleaning! Got the camper prep started for our Halloween trip! Looking forward to that!

5. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

Jess I've been having trouble sleeping last few nights .. headaches wake me up. :(

Got up at 6:30, did a little stretching but headache was just awful. took tylenos during the night and when I got up. Had a 10:00 massage therapist appointment because my hip keeps hurting and told him about my headaches too, hoping it'll help.
    Washed the fridge we bought from dh's uncle - it'll replace the old one in the basement.
    Made some pickled eggs.
    Picked up the mail and meds at the pharmacy.
    Posted on my blog.
    Need to go finish up stuff in the kitchen and then MAYBE I can have a few minutes to do a few things other than housechores or food.
    I think I'll take Friday off work so I can do my housechores before my family gets here on Saturday. It is our local white-geese festival and my parents, sis & bil always come. My to-do list for Friday is ready.

Later

AuntJamelle likes this.
  6. GrammaDeb

GrammaDeb Active Member

Good morning. We are hoping to get some rain this week from the hurricane off California. We certainly have humidity today - not normal around here. Looking forward to cooler temps too.

I was up at 5:30 to fix breakfast and get the kiddoes off to school. Fixed salisbury steaks with fried onions & mushrooms, and gravy - in the crockpot - for dinner. I just need to fix mashed potatoes and veggies later. Third load of laundry is washed, bathroom is cleaned, and I am now sitting with my neighbor. I can hear my bed calling to me - I could sure use a nap, but that is just wishful thinking.

Have a great day everyone!

7. housewife2

housewife2 Well-Known Member

happy oct 1st
    went to the dollar tree got those peanut butter candy in the orange and black wrappers i think they are good
    got a bat to hang on the porch and a pumpkin face to hang
    its alittle warmer today come on back cooler days. nights have been nice
    have agood day

8. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Santa's Elves

Afternoon all MHHers

PamelaG, I always thought I would want a a machine that I would download patterns instead of using cartridges. Mainly I didn't know enough scrappers that I could trade cartridges with to cut down on the cost. But that was in a previous lifetime when I had time to scrap. lol
    Jessica, I hope you get your migraines under control soon. Have you tried taking a Claritin every day. Use the brand name only. It has helped me.
    AuntJamelle, Scray to have that dog in front of your car.
    Lucie, Hope the massage therapist was able to help your pain.
    GrammaDeb, You are so kind to help your neighbor. Salisbury steak sounds great. I have yet to get a menu done for the week.

Monday was laundry day also. I have my bed re-made (Twillow is already on it) and clothes put away except for some shirts that are hanging to dry in the laundry room. I have some garage towels in the wash now. Yesterday all 3 of us were working in the garage. It's looking about done. I would like to organize some items on the shelve above my head but it's ok if I do not get in the mood to do some ladder climbing.

Wishing all a good start on their week.

9. halimer

halimer Well-Known Member

Hello all! Kind of grey with peeks of sun - but it's October and I'm happy!

Did some knitting last night and hung some pictures this morning. Got my new crown at the dentist and went to BJ's with DH and the regular grocery for some sale items. i still have to get to the commissary for one or two things that only they have. For me there is no such thing as one stop shopping!

Tomorrow I get my broken tooth pulled and prep for the implant done. Hope I'm OK enough to go to Michael's afterwards as it is close by.

Jess - glad Addison is doing well
    Diedra - congrats on getting the garage done.
    Deb - mushrooms, mashed potatoes and gravy are enough for me - hold the steak!
    Lucie - hope you find some time for yourself
    Pamela - I have a Cricut and find I don't use it very much
    HW2 - nice decorations!

10. GrammaDeb

GrammaDeb Active Member

We're getting rain!!! We have had 3 separate sprinkles of about 15 seconds each. Haha.

11. missjane

missjane Well-Known Member

Hi, everyone.

Another week of football for us. DGS#1 has a game tomorrow and Thursday night. Friday night is the high school game, and DGS#2 has a game Saturday morning. Church Wednesday night...there's our week. DH wants to go to a concert in Shreveport Saturday, but I'm going to stay home. Too much time away from home for me....and I always wondered why I can't get either the HGP or HHP done. Now, I realize! Maybe when I retire????

I was off today because we went to court for the wedding DVD (three years after the fact), and it's continued until January 31st, because the other guy's lawyer couldn't get in touch with him until Friday. I went to our lawyer Thursday afternoon who told me his lawyer couldn't find him. One trip to FB, and I knew immediately where he was. :mad: Yeah...he REALLY tried to find him, didn't he? I called my lawyer Friday morning and told him where he was. Then, he relayed it to his lawyer. Honestly, he's only in Florida. He could have gotten here by today by car, and certainly by plane. If I had been the judge, I would have said...too bad, he had time to get here and made a ruling. If he doesn't show up in January, my lawyer said that's what the judge will do. It's just some more of this guy saying by his actions that this is insignificant to him.

It's hot here today. 89, but the feel like is 100. I picked up some more broccoli plants after we left the courthouse, but I think I'm going to just nurture them inside until the temperatures cool back down again. I was so hoping for a real fall, but it looks like we're just going to continue with summer here.

Saturday, I pulled out the decorations for fall/Halloween. I just need to put them around in the house. I left the Thanksgiving ones packed away.

Walmart has some pretty sturdy looking Christmas garland right now. I bought one to use in the living room. Thought I better buy it before they were all gone.

GrammaDeb, I think y'all are in for a lot more, aren't you?
    Debbie, bless your heart. That's a lot of mouth work all in one week! Hope it all goes well.
    Deidra, it makes quick work of it when you have extra hands working on things!
    HW2, those candies are good!
    Lucie, hope you managed some time to do things other than housework.
    AJ, thank goodness the only thing hurt was the car!
    Jess, are you a candidate for the Botox injections for migraines? Seems you have them too often.
    Pamela, what a daunting task to have to decide what to keep and what to get rid of in the getting ready to move.

I better get something out for supper. Probably the only night this week until Saturday we'll eat at home. I just need to stop buying groceries until after football season ends.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

12. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

I made a rice-chicken casserole for tomorrow night, a chicken-potato-gravy pot for Wednesday. Tonight will be spaghetti with the meat sauce I made this weekend. I prepped overnight oats for my breakfasts, got the pineapple in seperate tupperware bowls to bring to work, got yogourt pots ready for work too, did dishes, made muffins, prepped gym and work cothes for tomorrow.
    Then I wrapped the stocking stuffers I have. I think I'll go pick up another item for their stockings - they are not as full as usual.
    Got my ebooks on the hard drive.
    Tried to find a credit on my credit card but not in yet :(
    sent an email for my medication renewal.

13. MrsSoup

Hi again!

I have washed our bedding and Eli's bedding and remade our bed. I just need to get the comforter back on Eli's. I won 3 items in the silent auction to support the Make-A-Wish foundation through Stroller Warriors. I was bidding on a prayer tote with goodies inside for my friend as a gift and some lady came in at the last minute and outbid me. :( Oh well, it's for charity. I did win a fall wreath, triple chocolate cake pops and a super cute lunch tote for DD. I was bidding on a customized wine glass but decided to stop because I don't really drink wine that often and I just bought an insulated wine tumbler at the conference. All-in-all I spent $54. I have paid and messaged all the people about picking up my items.

I have been working on school work and am taking a short break. There is another Change of Responsibility today at 1 but i'm not going. I don't know any of the people involved and it will be nice and hot at that time. I just finally got rid of my migraine and I don't want to tempt fate with the heat. DH texted and he's been asked to work the afternoon shift this weekend at the motorcycle course. He was supposed to be off. Of course Eli has back to back Scout activities so I guess i'll be taking him now. :rolleyes:

AJ- My massage therapist time before last recommend CBD oil but i'm not sure that it's allowed on base. I'd have to check on that. Glad you (and the dog) are okay!
    Lucie- Hope you can get your headache gone!
    Deb- Dinner sounds good!
    HW2- I like those candies too!
    Diedra- I take Allegra everyday. Used to take Zyrtec, before that Claritin, and they both stopped working. Might be time to switch back to one of them. I have a deviated septum and am always stuffy.
    Debbie- Good luck with your dental work tomorrow!
    Jane- That's ridiculous! The judge should have just ruled on it and been done with it. It's not like it's a life or death case and it's been long enough. I've never asked about the Botox. I think it's hard to get approval through the military though.

Later! Back to reading I go.

14. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

Good morning.
    I too woke up with a headache, not sure why. Slept well so maybe it is my pillow. I find my pillow very comfortable but maybe it is not the best for my neck.
    Anyway have had a coffee and a headache tablet and it seems to be going.
    Pretty here today and I have the day off from work on Annual leave. So pleased that I took today off after yesterday being a public holiday. Gives me a good break.
    I think I will start cleaning my bedroom today as the weather is perfect for hanging blankets and quilts on the clothes line to air. Will do the curtains today too I think.
    DH is also on leave this week so I will have him help me flip the mattress before putting the bedding back on. If I don't get to clean out my wardrobe today I can do it later on this week and then tick that room off the list.

15. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

DH is baking a pineapple fruit cake and the house smells of Christmas. Got some music on and getting things done. Perfect.

luludou likes this.
  16. MrsSoup

I got through my chapter and then found the videos i'm supposed to watch. SMH. So now i'll watch those and then do the chapter quizzes and i'll be done. I've got Freeform on, watching the first day of 31 Days of Halloween. So far it's been ParaNorman and The Nightmare Before Christmas, next up is Hocus Pocus. I took a break and dyed DD's hair. It came out pretty good. I did the underside of her hair and then she had me braid it. You can really see the color that way.

I have no idea what we're doing for dinner tonight as I still didn't make it to the Commissary today. I'm debating just ordering pizza. DS has finals this week so has early release every day and no school on Friday.