Freezer Sessions 2019...

Discussion in 'Holiday Cooking' started by AuntJamelle, Feb 25, 2019.

1. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

Got the chken cooked and cubed as well as ham cooked and cut up for sandwiches.

Christmas cooking is done!

Holiday_Mom and AuntJamelle like this.
  2. AuntJamelle

AuntJamelle Well-Known Member

Way to go, Lucie!!!

So I "thought" I was done filling the freezers BUT :rolleyes:

I had reached out to a friend whose sister is pretty sick (for 2nd time) with cancer - to see if I could help her with anything. She pinged me today sharing how things are not going well but they are trying to still have a somewhat normal Christmas - in any case she asked me if I would do some baking for her - so she would be able to contribute.

Hmmm....let me think about that....in a flat minute!!!

So I sent her my "resume" and am waiting to hear back what I can do for her...I told her I was open to attempting any recipes she sent me too.

Just makes me so grateful to this site and CEO and everyone for their support and encouragement all year long...if I wasn't so prepared at this point in the season there is no way I would be able to take on extra things that come along like this. Not and stay sane!!!!

3. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

AJ, there is something to be said for being ahead of the game. When life throws you a curve ball we can help knowing that it will not add to the pressure of the season.
    I hope that your friends sister is on the road to healing, I know that by you helping out it will bring them some joy.

4. luludou

luludou Well-Known Member

AJ you are doing a good thing. People are lucky to have you in their lives.

AuntJamelle and sweetpumkinpye like this.
  5. AuntJamelle

Awww, you guys!!! I just feel badly for their family - hoping HOPING her sister rallies again!!!

6. Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom Well-Known Member

This totally made me tear up. Your gift of baking or cooking a meal during a time when someone is feeling vulnerable especially at this time of year is so kind and generous of spirit. This is what the season is about. :)

sweetpumkinpye and AuntJamelle like this.
  7. AuntJamelle

Have another batch of Lemon Snowballs ready to bake/freeze tonight!

And a QUADRUPLE batch of cinnamon roll dough waiting in the fridge downstairs. :eek:

Will give most of rolls away right away but will be freezing some for later gifting.

Holiday_Mom and Ahorsesoul like this.
  8. sweetpumkinpye

Going to be boiling hot for the next few days here, time to pull some prepared meals out of the freezer.

Holiday_Mom likes this.
  9. Holiday_Mom

I'm working on meal preparation for Sunday's brunch. I cooked up and froze 2 lbs. of pork sausage. The vegetables for the casserole were chopped, sauteed and frozen. I also cooked up 5 lbs. of bacon for add-ins this winter.

4 batches of cookies were baked and in the freezer.

10. sweetpumkinpye

DH has used nearly all the sausage that I cooked up and froze. Will get more when I shop and prepare it for the freezer. He is loving the fact that he can just go to the freezer and pull out a meal if it is too hot to cook from scratch.

Holiday_Mom and Ahorsesoul like this.
  11. Holiday_Mom

I thought of you today while listening to the Christmas podcast called Tinsel Tunes on my morning walk. The host is from New Zealand. He said is was a "billion degrees" right now. I chuckled because I was walking in 34 degrees F temperatures.

12. Holiday_Mom

Another batch of cookies were made and went to the freezer.

13. AuntJamelle

One more batch of Lemon Snowballs in freezer. And 3 small pans of cinnamon rolls for later gifting.

Getting ready to pop a cheesecake in there too.

Holiday_Mom likes this.
  14. sweetpumkinpye

A billion degrees is probably an exaggeration...going to be 43 for the next few days (109.4F)

AuntJamelle, Holiday_Mom and luludou like this.
  15. AuntJamelle

Got the cheesecake in the freezer! Also cut up some bakery bread into cubes and froze for making strata for Christmas morning.

16. sweetpumkinpye

I am not sure what strata is I will have to look that up. I have bread in the freezer too for a french toast and raspberry casserole for Christmas morning.

AuntJamelle and Ahorsesoul like this.
  17. Holiday_Mom

I have not thought of that combination before! That sounds good! Do you add fresh raspberries to your French toast?

Thank goodness I did all the meal prep that I could do on Monday for Sunday's brunch. The kitchen was torn apart today. Dh had to work on a leak. I got into the kitchen in time to make dinner tonight. Seriously, that meal prep on Monday was a sanity saver.

AuntJamelle and jampss like this.
  18. sweetpumkinpye

Mary,
    I added fresh raspberries and chunks of white chocolate to the baked french toast.....it was very good.

Holiday_Mom and AuntJamelle like this.
  19. AuntJamelle

Oh, BRAVO Katrina! What an excellent, excellent idea!!!

I can share strata recipe, it's an overnight one - basically an egg milk mixture poured over bread, cooked sausage and cheese - then you top with a "sauce" just before baking.

Added a batch of Oven Chicken Fajitas in marinade to freezer - plus a bag of sliced peppers and onions. :)

Holiday_Mom likes this.
  20. sweetpumkinpye

AJ, you never stop do you?
    The Baked French toast was so good. I am popping it in the planner for next year.

AuntJamelle and Holiday_Mom like this.