Freezer Sessions 2019...

Discussion in 'Holiday Cooking' started by AuntJamelle, Feb 25, 2019.

1. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

LOL, agreed.

Won't be long and you will be stocking up on Christmas cookies and meals to get you through the holidays. A never ending cycle of stock up for Winter/use up Winter start stocking for Summer.

Ahorsesoul and Minta like this.
  2. Minta

Minta Administrator Staff Member

I had 2 large containers of ricotta cheese they were getting close to their use by date so I made a batch of stuffed shells and manicotti's this morning and are flashing freezing them now. Once they are completely frozen I will place them into freezer bags.

3. AuntJamelle

AuntJamelle Well-Known Member

I'll be freezing more cheesecakes soon for a wedding at the end of the summer - BIL and his finance asked me to make several for their wedding cakes :)

STILL need to go through all freezers and toss items as needed and reorganize the rest!!!

Ahorsesoul and Minta like this.
  4. sweetpumkinpye

Great way to use things before the use by date and the product is no longer good to use.
    Does ricotta freeze well? If so I might make a few ricotta and spinach lasagnas for the freezer.

Minta likes this.
  5. Minta

Minta Administrator Staff Member

I have never had a problem freezing it.

6. AuntJamelle

AuntJamelle Well-Known Member

I have frozen lasagnas that use ricotta cheese in the filling and it bakes up fine!

Went through 2 of the freezers yesterday and pitched anything too freezer burnt to recognize/consider eating - or anything too old to safely eat - not a huge amount lost - but there is more room in the freezers now!

Found a few things I had forgotten we had too - bonus!!! :)

Minta and Ahorsesoul like this.
  7. Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul Santa's Elves

I need to do some defrosting in my freezer. The top edges are growing snow balls.

AuntJamelle and Minta like this.
  8. Myron's Mom

Myron's Mom Well-Known Member

Stocked up on foil, parchament paper , zip lock bags , etc at the dollar tree sale today in preparation for fall cooking marathons.
    Have only a couple things left in the big freezer to use up before fall.
    I freeze lasagna and stuffed shells with ricotta all the time. I’ve froze regular cheese too. That I use just for baking. I don’t like it on a salad or sandwich after it’s frozen.

AuntJamelle and Minta like this.
  9. sweetpumkinpye

DH always know when I have tidied the freezer because dinner is some weird combination of freezer food.

Thank all for the advice on the ricotta am now aware that it freezes well.

Minta, AuntJamelle and Ahorsesoul like this.