Garage Sale Season 2016...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
It's that time again! A little chilly here still, but I have braved the weather to visit several sales so far this year and have been pretty happy so far!

Found some great fall leaf garlands and sprays for really great prices - even snagged one of those grapevine garlands loaded with the orange bittersweet looking berries - $0.50!!!! SOLD!

Got a lovely cut glass veggie plate - very pretty! Just $2

Also found a very large hurricane glass fro $3 - plan to use that for a nice holiday arrangement this year. It's large enough that I can put up on one of the high shelves and it will still have an impact.

Has anyone else stopped at a sale yet? What have you found? Would it be fun to just keep this as a running thread we can share our bargains on?

I tend to use garage sales to find clothes (and sometimes toys) for DS and to supplement my craft supplies and holiday decor. There are always the odd ball things you come across but for gift baskets, cookie tins, wrapping supplies, craft supplies, etc. I just can't beat the prices!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I'm looking for a small cabinet that I could cut off the legs so it could be mounted on the wall in my bathroom. I have not stopped at any sales but they are starting. I think in a week or two there is a city wide sale day. I'll wait for that and might go out on the last afternoon so I could get a better deal since I'm not in a hurry.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I havent had the chance to go to any yard sales yet. Either the weather was bad, we had other plans or I didn't have money lol. I am hoping to be able to go later this month.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Have found a few more things :)

A very pretty silk flower arrangement, red berries and other red flowers in a small coppery gold urn - will look nice on a bookshelf or up on a higher shelf. Only $3

Also found an 8x10 picture frame for $0.50 - if I scuff the frame with sandpaper I can paint it to match others in our gallery wall in the hallway.

Found an insulated bag that fits 9x11 pans for $1.50 and a big bag of styrofoam balls in assorted sizes for $2 that I'll put aside for making ornaments out of.

I also picked up a few shirts and pairs of shorts for DS, all like new and only $1 each :)

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
AJ ~ You're doing great!

Has anyone tried an APP for garage sales in your area? Apparently there are some available. Would be interesting to try. I think they can map your route ... maybe ??

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I have played with the garage sale apps a bit - but ultimately I prefer to just copy and paste each sale's info off of the newspaper website, or Craigslist or whatever to a Word document.

Then I use Google Maps to plug in all the addresses in one big chain. I click and drag to rearrange them into an order that makes the most sense for driving. Then I print that out and take it with me. :) I also print the Word document with all the details about each sale so as the shopping goes on I can review what the sale has and make a decision if I'm going to skip or not.

I've been able to find several more deals recently - so excited!

12" Silver Platter $2!!! Polished it up last night and though it took a while it looks like new again! Have it in our china cabinet! :)

Found a large metal rack for $0.50 - not sure what it was originally for but I'm going to use it in my craft room to hold 12x12 scrapbooking papers. There are 3 staggered levels to the rack and it should hold quite a lot. I'll probably spraypaint it first in some cute color!

Picked up a Sugar Cookie Yankee Candle - a large jar that someone has lit a couple of times - for $0.50!!!

Also grabbed an old pot/lid for $0.50 - it's in fairly decent shape but what I want it for is melting candle wax for different craft projects I've been wanting to do. Better to do that in a pan dedicated to it

Let's see, what else? I've been on a roll!

A 2' Christmas tree on a metal stand, flat bottom. Great shape and has little pinecones on it - only $2!

Also found really nice, large evergreen sprays with pinecones, $0.50 each! Got all she had which was 6

Also found some pretty oversized gold feather type sprays $0.25 each

Some misc. picks and sprays - $0.25 each - all of these I'll simply stick into our large Christmas tree. They do wonders to the overall look of an artificial tree!

I also found some really nice large tall matted frames - 2 of them - for $2 each! The frames are brown wood and I may end up sanding and painting them black to match our gallery wall or I may save them and use downstairs once we finish the lower level of the house!

Got several books for DS - $0.50 each and a Wii Game of Go Diego Go for $3

And finally, a large round tin crammed FULL of Lincoln Logs and other little toys - $9

THAT WAS MY DEAL OF THE WEEK! Those things are crazy expensive new and there are several sets in there! Put together with the small set we have I see some fun coming our way this weekend! :)

I hope others are able to make it out to some sales and that you find deals!

I've been having the best luck at neighborhood sales - so many sales close to each other - most in fancier sub-divisions not too far from us.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
AuntJamelle, I love the idea of using Google Maps! tfs

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
AJ you are doing great! not many garage sales around our area :(

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Still haven't had time to go to any yard sales yet however I have been buying from the online fb yard sales. Picking up a 5 1/2 ft mini jelly cabinet tomorrow for 1/4 of what a new one costs. This is one painted a color I do not care for so this summer I will sand it down and repaint it.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
AJ, you are doing GREAT!

Here the town sales are tom.. Ashley (where I live), Radom about 5 miles south and Richview 5 miles north. Not sure if I am going or not. I should of put stuff in and took it to my moms to sell but..... I need to move stuff out of here----but sure love a good bargain!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
So now a girlfriend and I have decided to HAVE a garage sale - in 2 weeks! YIPE!

I spent a lot of time this weekend washing and pricing clothes. But clothes are DONE and now I just have to do the toys and misc. items.

My girlfriend lives on a major street across from a high school and I'm hoping we'll get a lot of traffic! Wish us luck!!!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Hit the jackpot today! Large sale with such great prices! Got a great deal of Christmas ribbon, new on rolls for $0.25 each, large 2' rolls of gold glitter mesh, new in package for $1 each, basket trays for $0.10 each, a couple of metal fluted baking molds for $0.25 each, a nice large black cosmetic type travel bag for $0.25, oh so many things!

Also got a really nice black metal plant stand with 3 tiered sections that swing out from each other $5

But the real deal was after digging through a tote of purses. Found a like new, oh so darling Kate Spade handbag. $3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At another sale I found someone getting rid of all their sewing stuff - got 5 packages - unopened - of fusible interface webbing - $0.50 for all of them!!!

I think I'm addicted to garage sales!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Finally made it to a couple yard sales over the weekend. I scored a nightmare before Christmas ornament for my daughter and an electric train set for my son.

p.a.

Premiere Member
Oct 31, 2007
I went to a town wide yard sale last weekend...I bought a handmade vintage quilt. It was 'as is' but I couldn't find any flaws. I got it for $60 ....I know new ones sell for $$$$$$. I was very happy. I love it. I went there looking for one to..

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Awesome finds, ladies!!!

:elf:

I have continued my addiction to going to garage sales and have found lots of nice things! Some holiday items, some household, some office supplies and some clothes for DS.

I've picked up cute things for Easter, Halloween, Autumn and Christmas - and can't beat the prices! :)

I even found a really nice fall jacket and a couple of sweatshirts for myself!

We ended up postponing HAVING our own garage sale due to weather. Need to pick a new date! I've got everything prepped and tagged just need to try and get rid of it!