Getting in Shape for Christmas 2020

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Did the COVID-15 hit your house? That snacking, baking, cooking more attack on the waistline? Join us as we hold each other accountable and strive for our best shape for Christmas 2020.

I'll start - it wasn't just the COVID-15, it's been a lifelong battle of the bulge. Chubby toddler, chunky teenager, Rubenesque adult, that's me...lover of cooking, baking, eating in, eating out, eating on the run. Vic and I used to say he ate to live and I lived to eat! Even health challenges over the last few years have not made me stop and get a handle on my weight.

So, here we go, it's time. If you're on a weight-loss or weight-maintain journey, tell us what works and what doesn't and we'll celebrate the pounds lost and be a shoulder to cry on for the pounds gained.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I have had life long issues too. I would do fine for a while then changes would occur in my life and I would fall off the wagon. I was running marathons in my 40’s which I loved but my I T band did not. And I am another who loves to cook and lives to eat!

COVID hasn’t set me back but I can’t stand to be on the treadmill due to some health issues right now. Prior to the last couple of weeks I was doing up to 30 miles a week on the tread mill. Honestly I hate every minute I’m on the treadmill until I’m done! But I’m missing it and really want to get back on it.
I would love someone (s) to hold me accountable and will support any one who wants to join in!

DecemberisComing

Premiere Member
Jun 22, 2020
Illinois
I struggle with maintenance. Sadly, I can stay focused and lose the weight, but inevitably I put it back on again. My most recent success had been to lose 40 lbs. and I kept it off for 18 months, and then boom, off the wagon I went. I haven't put it all back on, but I used to average 10,000 steps a day, and know I am barely averaging 5,000. I will be here to offer support and encouragement, I hope I find my motivation too!

Meal planning and logging my meals into My Fitness Pal and getting 10,000 steps helped me be successful, and eating 5 Fs and Veggies a day to curb my hunger. I struggle with all of the water they recommend. It would be nice to go into the holidays healthier than I feel now.

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
Growing up I always thought I was fat, compared to all my friends. I weighed 117 (5'3") when I got married at age 19. Boy, was I nuts...I wish I was anywhere close to that now. 5 babies in 6 years, and I really packed on the weight. I have yoyo'd for 40 years - I have only been able to lose weight by reducing calories to 900 a day plus hard aerobics, and now I'm too old for the hard exercise. It's Keto for dh, dd, and me. They love it and see lots of weight loss. I absolutely hate it - I can't stomach a slab of meat and I'm not fond of cheese. I do, however, love the fact that since I'm not eating carbs I don't have to inject insulin at every meal, and I do lose weight. I wish cereals and bread didn't have carbs - that's what I miss most.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Add me to the list that struggles with weight and getting it off. I started putting on just before my wedding 34 years ago and cannot get it off. I have tried WW, Easy Slim, Optifast, pills, shakes etc. I lose the weight and after 5 or 6 weeks it just creeps back on.
My DD is getting married October 2021 and I need to lose the weight as I will not be fat for her photos but I am scared of starting as I know it will not work.

Last edited:

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Great to see you all - let's do this! I'm giving the Whole 30 another go - it's very strict but I know it works and I'm going to consider it a 30-day cleanse/detox. Vic and I did it after my sister and BIL told us about the program - we were faithful for 30 days - I think I lost 16 pounds and Vic lost 18 (why is it that men can seem to drop the weight so much quicker? :rolleyes:) but the real benefit was how we felt - so much energy, no aches and pains (Vic had been nursing a sore shoulder and was most likely heading back to physical therapy and I had back and hip issues), his blood pressure numbers went back into the range they should be as did my blood sugar, we slept better, just felt great all around. The Whole 30 is designed to help you find out what foods are not working for you - does gluten bother you? should you avoid soy, legumes, dairy? - you go practically cold turkey for 30 days - no sugar, grains, dairy, beans, or alcohol - and then after the 30 days, slowly reintegrate things into your diet in moderation to see what works and what doesn't. Our problem was with the "slowly reintegrate" part :p - we just when right back to eating too much of all the wrong things.

It's probably similar to keto except no dairy - I know keto friends love being able to eat cheese - and on the Whole 30, you can have potatoes. If I can't have bread, give me a potato! So, I'm giving it a whirl for 30 days and then I plan to reintegrate slowly, probably switching to a more WW plan so I have some variety. I know that the key to any successful weight loss program is planning - make menus, chop up those veggies to have on hand, don't buy stuff that you shouldn't eat (tough if you're living with someone who doesn't have a weight concern). WW is all about planning.

And can we just talk about the water? I can honestly go days without drinking a glass of water, especially in the winter. I have to force myself - I drink coffee and tea but a plain ol' glass of water, even one with lemon in it, just doesn't appeal to me.at.all. I'm trying right now - I have a plastic bottle, just one of those 16 ounce bottles and I fill it at the office and drink out of it. 2 bottles a day is what I'm aiming for and I'm 3 for 4 days right now, only managed one bottle on Monday. I just get so busy, running back and forth to the bathroom is just not an option some days, that and riding the bus back and forth, can't drink too close to that time!

I have five pairs of pants in my closet - 1X, 18, 16, 14, 12 - my goal is to work my way down the numbers. I'll weigh myself, once a month, but the real test will be when I can move from one size to another. Here we go...

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
My dinner tonight consisted of a piece of cheesecake, celebrating dd's & dsil's anniversary. Sigh. I start the diet again in the morning. Good luck Pamela, and the rest of us too!

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
My dinner tonight consisted of a piece of cheesecake, celebrating dd's & dsil's anniversary. Sigh. I start the diet again in the morning. Good luck Pamela, and the rest of us too!
Keeping it real, Deb! We all will have those splurge occasions.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Greetings!

This is an interesting topic to me. DH and I have been on a weight loss journey since the first of October, so it’s been nearly 8 months. Yes, Pamela, DH did lose faster than I did and did not have as much to lose. I was prepared for that reality. Our weight loss program began with an oldie but goodie (for us), the Scarsdale Medical Diet. We’ve used it in the past; but if you don’t stick with the whole program, yes, the weight will gradually come back, as with any eating program (ask me how I know).

Basically, I feel whatever meal plan works for you to lose weight at a healthy rate and that makes you feel good is the right one for you.

Weight Watchers is a very popular program and works for so many people and offers meetings so you can get the support you need. With DH and I both on board with the eating program, it was encouraging to both of us.

Personally, I don’t feel that exercise is a significant factor in weight loss. That said, I do believe it is a critical factor in overall health. As DH and I lost weight, we were able to get back to our exercise programs. DH jogs about 5 miles 3 times a week. I have been working out with exercise videos, focusing for now on lower body and aerobics, then working daily on my PT exercises following up rotator cuff surgery. My fitness goal is primarily aimed towards being fit for the activities I enjoy doing: bicycling, snow skiing, water skiing, tennis ... I really don't like "exercise" much and I really try to motivate myself with the Nike slogan: "Just do it!"

Pamela, you have the right attitude going in! Having those healthy snacks ready and waiting is key, as well as meal planning. DH will get out a block of cheese in the afternoon and leave it on the counter. He can afford the extra calories, but I can’t. The other day, I asked him not to leave it out like that. He understands and will just take what he wants and put the rest away.

Regarding water intake … Not to negate the value of drinking water, but I think if you’re drinking so much water that you can’t go an hour or two without going to the bathroom, maybe you don’t really need THAT much water! I did recently, however, have my doctor request a redo of some lab work when my kidneys apparently showed some dehydration. Since then, I have been trying to drink more water, but still not excessive.

I keep an eye on my BMI through this calculator: https://www.smartbmicalculator.com/
which takes into consideration age and gender in addition to height and weight. I began as “Overweight” and it indicated that the WHO would consider my BMI as “Obese” (BMI=32). Now my BMI is 23 which puts me in the “normal” range and “the label ‘ideal’ has often been applied to this.” I feel happy and healthy again. DH and I revel in our success.

I hope this is encouraging to you. I am 71 years old and really wasn’t sure I could reach this goal at my age. Believe me, if I can do it, you can too!

I’d like to stick around to encourage you all, as well to reinforce my own momentum. It is so easy to let it go!

Best wishes for a slim-line Christmas!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I hate cooking and eating. I don't eat out because of the expense of it. I tend to go for things that require little prep work - lettuce, cheese, crackers, water, peanut butter. I would prefer if all my meals were liquid so I could read and research my heart's content.

My weight has crept up slowly over the years. I was 117 lbs. when I got married and I'm at a steady 131. I go to the doctors every 6 months for a blood sugar test and blood pressure check. Both are higher than what she wants me to have. Last month my cholesterol was high. She wants to put me on more medication if I don't get control of these numbers.

I was getting in two miles of walking a day. Last week we had a hiking vacation so it was more. This week has been nothing due to family life.I struggle with taking care of my needs over everyone else's needs. I struggle with eating bread and butter. I could eat that and orange marmalade all day long.

I'm trying to get in 60 oz of water a day. I have a 20 oz. cup that I try to fill up four times a day. Some days are better than others. I drink 20 oz. before I let myself have my first cup of coffee. I try to have my second 20 oz. before lunch. Then I go for another one around 4 pm. Some days I use a straw. Some days I add ice. Other days I add flavored vinegar to the water or some fruit to change it up.

I have to sit down and work out a realistic plan for exercising and to figure what other foods I have to stop eating to reduce my cholesterol, high blood pressure and glucose level.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Mary ~ Would you like to get back to the 117 lbs? That's only 14 lbs. You can do it! How tall are you? Have you tried one of those vita-mix machines to toss fruits and vegies into and they come out in drink format - and healthy! I think some people struggle with the cholesterol, blood pressure and glucose level issues more than others. It must be something in the DNA. That's a lot of water!

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
I keep an eye on my BMI through this calculator: https://www.smartbmicalculator.com/
which takes into consideration age and gender in addition to height and weight. I began as “Overweight” and it indicated that the WHO would consider my BMI as “Obese” (BMI=32). Now my BMI is 23 which puts me in the “normal” range and “the label ‘ideal’ has often been applied to this.” I feel happy and healthy again. DH and I revel in our success.
Oh my goodness DJ, you are our poster child! BMI 32 to 23 is a fabulous achievement. Thanks for all the encouragement.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I am joining in. I have a goal of losing my next 5 pounds and it won't move. I am a stress eater and most meals are not meals but snacks. I try to keep them healthy and sweets can Not be in the house. I need to drink more water. I have about 2 glasses of tea and then 2 of a diet drink (I am thinking that is the issue artificial sweeteners).
Water is not something I enjoy but can tolerate.
I have limited likes in the fruit and veggie department. I like bread, pasta, cereal, dairy, and meat. I was using Fitness Pal and I could see where to make adjustments in my meals. Often it said I wasn't eating enough calories. True portion control is important. Mom said she can eat 40 carbs per meal so I am going to try it and hopefully encourage her along the way. I know carbs are my downfall.

I do not want to go to the doctor until I loose some of this weight and see if my numbers change. She wants to put me on cholesterol medication and I told her I want to try weight loss first. I maybe pre diabetic since it runs in the family and I do not want to deal with that thus my reason for weight loss.

Just do it 5 pounds at least for me.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Last year I lost 23 pounds by doing 20 to 30 minutes of cardio in the mornings 4 to 5 days a week and doing a low carb diet. I did real good at keeping it off until covid hit and then I gained 7 lbs back. Because of the change in the work schedules I haven't been doing the cardio in the mornings and I have been baking way more than normal. I have no problems drinking water but I don't think I am drinking enough now that it's summer. I need to cut back on carbs again and increase my protein and fruits/veggies.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I was an overweight child but lost weight in my 20's and kept it off (between 130 and 140) for over 40+ years. When I hit menopause I inherited my mother's body and put on about 20 lbs.

I went to the smart BMI site and it told me that I was OK for my age (72).

I'd like to lose a few pounds just to have clothes fit better but my idea of diet is everything in moderation. Don't plan to give up either bread or dairy at this point in life.

But as someone who has been there (and is there is some respects) I'm rooting for you!

GrammaDeb

Premiere Member
Jan 4, 2014
Nevada
I want to lose weight so I don't hurt when I walk, and I want to be healthy. I don't know how much I need to lose to reach that point. I did Jane Fonda, aerobic dance, and Richard Simmons in the 80's; step aerobics through the 90's; P90x, TurboJam, Gold's gym, and water aerobics through the 2000's & 2010's...loved it all. Now my body is tired, but wish I could still do it. I hate bicycling and walking, and they have never affected my weight loss journey. I love lifting weights, but more bulk is the last thing I need.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Mary ~ Would you like to get back to the 117 lbs? That's only 14 lbs. You can do it! How tall are you? Have you tried one of those vita-mix machines to toss fruits and vegies into and they come out in drink format - and healthy! I think some people struggle with the cholesterol, blood pressure and glucose level issues more than others. It must be something in the DNA. That's a lot of water!

Actually, I just bought a new blender just for that reason. It's a Ninja Blender and Juicer. It does a nice job with the spinach. I'm beginning to wonder about the DNA being part of the problem. I just would prefer not to get on medication if I can. However, I guess it gets to a point where no matter what one does, medication is necessary.

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
I want to lose weight so I don't hurt when I walk, and I want to be healthy. I don't know how much I need to lose to reach that point. I did Jane Fonda, aerobic dance, and Richard Simmons in the 80's; step aerobics through the 90's; P90x, TurboJam, Gold's gym, and water aerobics through the 2000's & 2010's...loved it all. Now my body is tired, but wish I could still do it. I hate bicycling and walking, and they have never affected my weight loss journey. I love lifting weights, but more bulk is the last thing I need.
Deb ~ Seems like it would take a lot of weight lifting to really bulk up. I wouldn't worry about that. Muscle increases the metabolism to burn more calories. There are videos that combine aerobics with weights, so you get the cardio, too, in intervals. Perhaps that would be something you would enjoy more than just aerobics alone. I'm getting out my old videos and actually ordered a few of my old ones on DVD that I only have on VHS. Leslie Sansone has some 5 mile walking videos that can just be done in segments. You can start out slowly and as you gain endurance, you'll find yourself doing more and more. There are also some good exercise videos on YouTube. I sometimes use those when I'm away from home. I always told my DDs, if you exercise and eat right, you will be the size and shape you were meant to be. Still believe that to be true. Keep in touch with your progress!

GeeWibble

Premiere Member
Mar 29, 2008
NY
Like many of you, I'm trying to get to a healthy weight again. I just want to lead my normal life, not schedule a time in my day to exercise or log what I eat. I'm active just doing normal house cleaning, taking care of my grandchildren, gardening, bike ride, etc. When I was young I thought it was "easy" gain a few pounds just cut back on portion size or skip a meal and it came off. After my 3rd child that just didn't work any more so I tried a few different diets, they did work but after loosing weight, I'd start to feel good and you know summer parties, and my favorite fall and holiday baking by March I'm always back to feeling heavy and unhappy. I found that having a goal like my son's wedding or the dreaded (scale) Dr. appointment, I could diet 3 months and I could loose 20 lbs. but after the event, relax and right back to not paying attention to what I ate. So, here comes spring and covid and no events to give me the motivation to take off those winter pounds. So first I needed some soul searching to figure out what I really wanted my life to feel like. I decided I needed my goal to be the end of my life, not just an event that I can see on the calendar. I have found a few things that really don't work for me, the scale, tape measure( they just depress me if I don't see any change), and cutting a full food group out. So after praying about it for a few weeks, on my Instagram feed came the New Life Promise ad. I was skeptical, but thought I'd look at the video and see if it was what I was looking for (I already knew that sugar and bad carbs hurt my health). This program was a little different it combined faith and food, it has helped me to think of eating as nourishment and being thankful that God has given us great food. I call my self a lazy cook, I like to prepare meals I just hate the question of what to make and getting organized to shop. This program has the shopping list and recipes done for 4 weeks, I'm on week 3 and feel good and I can tell from clothing that it's going to take time but like I said, I need to think of years not months. So staying positive and I pray you all are able to find the right program to help you in getting healthy!

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Like many of you, I'm trying to get to a healthy weight again. I just want to lead my normal life, not schedule a time in my day to exercise or log what I eat. I'm active just doing normal house cleaning, taking care of my grandchildren, gardening, bike ride, etc. When I was young I thought it was "easy" gain a few pounds just cut back on portion size or skip a meal and it came off. After my 3rd child that just didn't work any more so I tried a few different diets, they did work but after loosing weight, I'd start to feel good and you know summer parties, and my favorite fall and holiday baking by March I'm always back to feeling heavy and unhappy. I found that having a goal like my son's wedding or the dreaded (scale) Dr. appointment, I could diet 3 months and I could loose 20 lbs. but after the event, relax and right back to not paying attention to what I ate. So, here comes spring and covid and no events to give me the motivation to take off those winter pounds. So first I needed some soul searching to figure out what I really wanted my life to feel like. I decided I needed my goal to be the end of my life, not just an event that I can see on the calendar. I have found a few things that really don't work for me, the scale, tape measure( they just depress me if I don't see any change), and cutting a full food group out. So after praying about it for a few weeks, on my Instagram feed came the New Life Promise ad. I was skeptical, but thought I'd look at the video and see if it was what I was looking for (I already knew that sugar and bad carbs hurt my health). This program was a little different it combined faith and food, it has helped me to think of eating as nourishment and being thankful that God has given us great food. I call my self a lazy cook, I like to prepare meals I just hate the question of what to make and getting organized to shop. This program has the shopping list and recipes done for 4 weeks, I'm on week 3 and feel good and I can tell from clothing that it's going to take time but like I said, I need to think of years not months. So staying positive and I pray you all are able to find the right program to help you in getting healthy!
That sounds like an interesting program to explore. My Mum always said don't do it for myself, do it for the ones I love. The yo-yo diet and weight gain/weight loss journey I was on was not doing my health any favors and the longer I kept on that self-destructive path, the shorter I was going to be on this earth with them. You would have thought it would have sunk in when I had my health scare in 2015 but it didn't and now I think perhaps, it is time.