Gift Card Bargains

Discussion in 'Budget & Bargains' started by missjane, Jun 15, 2016.

1. sweetpumkinpye

sweetpumkinpye Well-Known Member

Now is the time to start buying gift cards and storing them for Christmas. DH gets gift cards to the local big hardware shop and I normally get him about $250. Mum gets him about $100. Gives him plenty of money to buy bits and pieces for the farm. Need to get a few more each time I am there, at this stage I only have a $50 one.
    Supermarket rewards are up to $30 hoping to hit $40 in the next few weeks. You get $10 for every 2000 points and I think I am up to 900 or so.

Holiday_Mom and Ahorsesoul like this.
  2. PamelaG

PamelaG Moderator Staff Member

Watch for promos on gift cards when the holiday items start appearing in the stores. I think it's in November that Barnes and Noble offers a $10 gift card to be used after Christmas for every $75 in gift cards you buy. I usually buy $150 for us and for my nephews so that gives us $20 to use after the holidays.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  3. sweetpumkinpye

Pamela, our gift cards rarely go on sale so when they do it is a good thing.
    Just watch the service fee on cards, that can wipe out any savings. The service fees here can be up to $10 a card:mad:

Holiday_Mom and Ahorsesoul like this.
  4. PamelaG

Yes, I paid a $10 fee for a $50 card last year :(, It was last minute so I will plan ahead this year. Found out my bank issues them without any service charges. They are VISA cards and you can have them imprinted with the recipient's name and chose from a variety of holiday styles. You just have to allow a couple of weeks to order and they come in the mail, directly to your house with no shipping charge. I'll definitely be buying those from now on.

luludou and Ahorsesoul like this.
  5. sweetpumkinpye

They sound like a great gift, especially if you can customise them. I might see what VISA do here and see if there is something similar.

Ahorsesoul likes this.
  6. Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom Well-Known Member

Ugh! I got a $25 Visa gift card Christmas 2017. I will never give them out as a gift after what I just went through this summer. I misplaced my card but found it in June. I went to register to use it and all that was left was $12.50. When I went to actually use it, it was declined. There is nothing left on it. It was infuriating. :mad:

Schools and other non-profits around here have a "Scrip" program set up online for purchasing gift cards. Depending on the gift card, a certain percentage will go back to the non-profit for each card bought. If I buy a gift card for the local grocery store, the school/non-profit gets 2% back. Other times, there is an incentive program for a week where the non-profit might get 4% back. Sometime I buy a bunch for shopping at specific stores on Black Friday.

Ahorsesoul and Miss JoDee like this.
  7. PamelaG

How on earth did that happen? Did someone else have access to it and used up all your funds? That really is infuriating.

8. Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing. I know that there was a scam going on before where numbers were taken off the cards before being sold at the stores and then being used for online purchases.

9. sweetpumkinpye

Mary, how frustrating.
    DD bought BF a gift card to a local massage place for Christmas 2018. The shop that she bought the gift card from as just gone into receivership and they have closed their doors. BF will not get to use the voucher and what ever DD paid has gone. The infuriating thing is that the shop was selling gift cards up to the day before they closed. So unethical.