Gift Closet 2015

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Yesterday I took the opportunity to give the gift closet a good clean. It looks so different now that it is empty.
I went to the mall and got a few stocking fillers so they have gone straight into the relevant boxes.
And so it starts again.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I have to have a sort out. I have lots of gifts for DS in reserve- I will need to sort out what he is getting for his birthday in April. I also have lots of leftovers for me- I can't really get this sorted out til Feb when he goes back to school. I keep Christmas gifts in separate areas to other gifts. I add and subtract throughout the year as needed and according to his interests. If I get the opportunity I may out some items on laybye to start the process over again.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
My guys get standard gifts every year, boxer shorts, undies, socks, under singlets. As soon as I see these at a price I am happy to pay I will place them on lay-by. Also back to school sales are a great place to look for stocking fillers. Pens, notebooks, post it notes, bluetak, are all good stocking fillers and are at a good price in January.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Way to go ladies! I too felt sorry for my empty gift closet so I took the weekend to shop some of the post Christmas sales and did indeed find a few things to put into my gift closet. I work on birthdays, anniversaries, Easter and other gift giving occasions first, then I move on to Christmas gifts. Keep up the great work and you'll have your shopping done by the end of Christmas in July.

appleton

MHH Member
Nov 7, 2007
I definitely need to get my gift bin sorted over the weekend. I know I have a few goodies that will work great for Valentine's & Easter. I have several birthdays coming up, but have 2 small gifts already. Yankee Candle's site has some amazing deals & I'd love to order several gifts... but my total is a little high. YC is one of my favorite stores & I keep adding to my cart! One for a gift, two for me... lol

There are some great deals that I'd like to take advantage of while I'm still in gift shopping mode. Now, if I can find some extra money.

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Went to Ikea yesterday and got a few little items. Got a throw each for the kids for Easter( it is getting cold then) for $2.99 each. Also got photo frames for stockings $1.99 and some scented t-lights $2.69 for 30.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I never did make it to IKEA this year. Makes me sad... I need an IKEA fix!

Glenda

Retire Member
Dec 10, 2008
Virginia
Gifts at Ollie's

I found some great games on sale at our Ollie's. They had 40% off toys. I found the Disney version of Guess Who?, a Disney Mastermind games and Holiday Edition Memory. The Disney games were $3 after the discount and the Memory game was just under $5. I plan to put together a few Disney themed or Christmas themed Family Game Night Baskets for birthday gifts throughout the year.

I also found some great deals online on Jim Shore ornaments for my daughter's teacher gifts next Christmas.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Good job on the games Glenda.
Stocked up on pens and note pads, but want to think ahead to see if I need anything else for upcoming events. There is some great book covering vinyl out at the moment but not sure what I would use it for.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I took the opportunity of DS not being here on Monday to head to the shops. I have 2 new lay-byes going. I am not sure of I will use them for Christmas or Birthdays but at least I have started. I also went to Smiggle (a stationary store) and grabbed some sale items at $1 each. I will either use these for stocking stuffer's or as Elf Gifts. I have some DVD's on my want/ wish list but will wait til they are on sale til I pick them up.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I have gotten Jaymee 3 items for next year. Told Allen we need to wrap them now and put in the closet so that is 3 we aren't wrapping on Christmas Eve!

Also while starting to clean the closet in sewing room last night I found a bag of items that were to be used as Christmas gifts and was struck away. Allen also found a tote outside with Christmas rugs, wind chimes and such that we had brought at one time or another on clearance for gifts. So maybe next year will be somewhat done or well started for the ones I give alittle too--will have to check the stuff out better.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I'll have to wait until I get back to LI to sort through my stuff but I know there is quite a bit there including generic gifts like gloves and scarves that I keep on hand for miscellaneous folks

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I was getting a little concerned that I didnt have ANY gifts bough for Christmas. Usually within the week after Christmas I have a few gifts bought. Well over the weekend I was able to score a new Jewerly box for my daughter and several new hallmark ornaments for both my kids, and one for one of my neices and my god-daughters boys.

While we were out shopping with the kids over the weekend, my daughter spotted a couple things she really wanted. Planning on going back there soon to pick them up and tuck them away for Christmas.

I am going to try to pick up a couple stocking stuffers each month. I keep forgetting about stocking stuffers so I am always shopping last minute for them.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
I bought acouple things for the box. haven't really been shopping yet

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Minta, I get a lot of stocking fillers when I do my grocery shopping. Shoelaces, spray deodorant, little tissues, iced tea sachets. This way I can get things over the course of the year and not be caught out.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Bought the twins each a sweatshirt vest. Just need to add a little something to that gift and they are done (maybe a lego man or a chocolate santa).
1 sweatshirt vest for dnephew 13.. the rest will be $$ - so DONE

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Minta, I get a lot of stocking fillers when I do my grocery shopping. Shoelaces, spray deodorant, little tissues, iced tea sachets. This way I can get things over the course of the year and not be caught out.

Sounds like a great idea. I love picking up nail polish, nail decals and make up brushes at the dollar store for my daughter. She is the easy one to shop for :)

I did manage to score several Hess trucks, never been played with for cheap. Our son will get a couple for Easter and the rest will be tucked away until Christmas.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I just got a new nephew. I bought him a Christmas shirt for next year, and I'm going to pick up a Valentines one this week. I figure I will get one for each holiday, roll them up and put them in a nice box, and he'll have a shirt for each holiday for next year.
Usually the shirts are about $20, and they're only worn once or twice, so they're expensive. I figure I can watch clearances throughout the year, so he'll have them for next year.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
i picked up a cake decorating cutter set yesterday that I will give to my mum.
I also picked up my Target online order that had a dvd for Dh and one for DS and a few stocking filler type items. I used their click and collect feature so very convenient.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
A just received NCIS L.A seasons 1-5 for DS, on a buy one get one free offer.
Also bought 4 Disney DVDs for the kids (22 and 27 years old), also on a BOGOF.
Into the gift closet they go.