Gift closet 2016

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Went to a big department store about 20 minutes away yesterday. Put some things on layby to pick up in June. Most will be Christmas gifts but also bought new Winter sheets for my bed.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Got a puzzle that is a snake shape all wrapped around somewhat and one side is all the abcs and the other numbers 1-26. Different colored pieces and snap together.

No, I don't wrap now--said I need to because we were wrapping LATE Christmas Eve and very early Christmas and they were opened before tape was actually struck! LOL!!!! Hate that but seems to be our practice more often than not.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
DD and I went to another mall over the other side of our town yesterday.
I got her the 3 Hunger Games DVDs that she did not have, DS a TV series that he is collecting and also one for my DB. I got a rebate for buying so many DVDs and all of this came to $100. So they all go into the gift closet.
Got DD a pair of shorts, and 2 pairs of "lounge pants" and they were all marked down.
Glad to have a few things in the Christmas boxes.
Even though it is still quite early in the year I am feeling slightly panicked about how quickly the year is going and what I still need to get done.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
I finally got my act together and have picked up a few things, but they won't be for Christmas. My daughter's birthday is in June and she loves to bake, bought a shirt with a stand mixer on it and it says "Mix it, Mix it Good" lol I just ordered a neat Harley sign from Amazon, that will be a Father's Day gift for hubby. Oh I did pick up some things from Victoria's Secret after Christmas...compact mirror, small makeup bag and lotions. That will all go to one of the girls. We'll have a new granddaughter this summer and I have been picking up things for her as well ♥♥♥

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Started a new batch of homemade vanilla extract today. I took the vanilla beans of out of the last batch, dried them off and divided them up into 2 separate jars of sugar to make vanilla sugar. I plan on bottling some of each up into smaller jars top be used as Christmas gifts.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Minta - I need to get the same thing started! Found the perfect bottles at Big Lots a few weeks ago! Just need to order some vanilla beans! Or find a store that sells them locally! I think that maybe Fresh Thyme would have them - they just opened a store nearby.

:)

BTW - Do you use high end vodka to make your vanilla? Or will a cheaper variety work just fine?

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Minta - I need to get the same thing started! Found the perfect bottles at Big Lots a few weeks ago! Just need to order some vanilla beans! Or find a store that sells them locally! I think that maybe Fresh Thyme would have them - they just opened a store nearby.

:)

BTW - Do you use high end vodka to make your vanilla? Or will a cheaper variety work just fine?

I order my vanilla beans from olive nation and I use cheap vodka.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Have realised that I have slowed right down on buying Christmas presents/stocking fillers. Will need to get back on board fairly quickly. I need to be a bit more ahead of the game than what I am.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I felt lke that a few weeks or so ago too. I have just placed lots of orders for small items on ebay. They are mostly coming from China so delivery will be a while but I am moving forward again.
I am deliberately looking for small/ stocking filler items as I am currently hatching a plan for Christmas 2017- if the stars align and everything goes right!Too early to tell if it will work out the way I would like it too but I shuld know within the next 2 months or so...... stay tuned......
So effectively I am shopping for both 2016 and 2017

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I ended up giving my mom a bracelet I brought her for Christmas for Mothers Day. I normally do not do that but.... We normally just cook for her or take her out sometime but decided to give a gift. The Serenity Prayer on a bangle bracelet.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Tanya .. Not sure for who you need stocking stuffers for but Dollar Tree is a great place for make up brushes, nail polish, nail polish remover, LED Flash Lights and Gum.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Thanks Minta,
We dont have Dollar Tree as such here- but we have similar stores. Not as good as yours from what I have seen when we have been in the USA. Ours are not at a $1 either but mostly $2 and up.

I hit these stores quite often to check for new things or items I may have missed- mostly looking for boy type item with a few girlie things for me (I get a stocking as well)

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Stopped in Sears yesterday to browse and found a boys star wars t-shirt marked down to $1.99. Went to go pay and found out that I nearly had $20 in reward points so I got the shirt for free. Tucking that t-shirt away fro my son for Christmas.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Picked up 2 more gifts and a stocking stuffer today. All free thanks to reward points. Hoping to pick up a few more stocking stuffers this week.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Got a t-shirt for myself yesterday at Target. It is a size smaller than I normally wear and although it fits it will be better by Christmas.
Today or tomorrow I will go through all the Christmas boxes and see just where I am up to. I will mark things off in my planner and start making lists.

Is any one else freaked that this week is JUNE!!!!!!

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Freaked- a little! Excited- yes! This is the time of year in my house where lots of planning for Christmas gets done. Is cold and I find it easy to sit, write lists, lay-by etc... I have picked up one lot of layby's this week and now need to think about the next lot.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Went through my boxes yesterday.
Checked thing off in my planner and added a few things to it as well.
As far as the stocking fillers go I am doing very well. Will need to get a few sweet treats a bit closer to Christmas but so far I am OK.

Gifts on the other hand are a little behind. I know that both of the kids will want DVDs and the ones that they watch are not released yet. They will both get some sort of clothing for the upcoming summer. I will also ask them a bit closer to Christmas what they want.
I suppose all I can do is keep plodding along and do the best I can.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Another of my stocking stuffers arrived today. DS drives me crazy if he sends me a text. He says about 2 words then the rest is filled with emoji's. On ebay I found him some emoji ankle socks. Not the best quality but super cute and only about $1.80. And some pretty hair clips arrived for me. I love daisy's so got 2 barrettes with them again less than $1

Last edited: