Gift closet 2016

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
I'd posted somewhere here that I'd developed a new method to gift buying that would hopefully save me a lot of stress around the holidays. All but 2 have birthdays from October to Christmas so it was especially hard financially.

We have 12 people in my immediate family and there are 12 months in the year so I designated a person to focus gift buying on for each month. During that person's month I would purchase their birthday, Christmas, stocking stuffers and any other gift such as father's day, graduation or whatnot that this person would need a gift for.

I started out from youngest to oldest which means my precious grandbabies come first. Well, life got in the way and I'm a little behind but catching up this weekend.
2 year old Grandson - DONE
3 year old Granddaughter - DONE
4 year old Grandson - DONE
5 year old Grandson - 90% DONE, still have Ninja Turtle quilt to finish
Youngest DIL- not started
Youngest Son - not started
Middle DIL - not started
Middle Son - not started
Oldest DIL - not started
Oldest Son - not started
DH - working on quilt for Father's Day, not started on birthday or Christmas
Parents - birthdays done, Christmas not started

I've been wrapping gifts this evening and it feels wonderful. How are your gift buying plans coming along?

Last edited:

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Ellen, you are doing good!

I really need the wrapping part started earlier.

I have a place in my room where I have some gifts purchased.

I got some items for co-workers a few weeks back.

Been getting some catalogs with items marked down in Whitetail Legendary so might order my son Ryan and SIL Ryan a few items.

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Lol, I definitely have O.C.D. (Obsessive Christmas Disorder). Today while finishing up the grandkids I found myself in the fabric department buying fabric to make them each a new pillowcase for this years Holiday Slumber Party. Every year I try to get all of the grandkids over on Thanksgiving night through Saturday afternoon so that the parents can get all of their Black Friday madness done. Last year was interrupted with a family emergency so it was canceled but this year I'm hoping to continue tradition. We will cover the floor in front of the fireplace with blow-up mattresses, watch Christmas movies, decorate cookies & a gingerbread house, eat junk and listen to Christmas music. They even have their own tree to decorate. I look so forward to this every year.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Ellen, that sounds like a blast!!! I am sure the parents appreciate it! If not they should. We my son and daughter were younger we had my 2 nephews, my little sister and then 4 friends stay over 2 or 3 years on the Wed. night. Thanksgiving Eve.

Pillow cases will be nice.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Love the idea of having a house full of kids camping out and having all kinds of Christmas fun.

Over this weekend I picked up a couple more gifts and made/canned 3 batches of strawberry jam, some of which will be used as Christmas Gifts.

I wont start wrapping until Oct/Nov

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Way to go Minta! The jam sounds wonderful. There is a quaint little shop in N. Louisiana that makes a variety of jams and puts Christmas labels on them with cute little ribbons and sells tons of these each year. We just finished off the last of our 2015 "Christmas" jam that an Uncle brought us from there. I thought it was basically strawberry jam. It was good.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Thanks Ej ... I made and can a lot of different jams, apple butter and pie fillings during the summer. Its pretty easy to do just a but time consuming.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
yes ellen that sounds like a great idea. enjoy your time with them

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Stopped in Bath and Body Works yesterday and they were having a huge sale. Picked up a few more shower gels/lotions/body sprays for gifts.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Friday I pick up Blackhawks jerseys and hoodie and for DH and DSs. 1/2 off at Target!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
i haven't done any shopping for a while but I think I am doing pretty well. I have a lay by on at Kmart so will pay that off. Really need to start getting some stuff organised. We are into June and I don't think time is going to slow down.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I bought a magnifying glass for my mom and a gardening tool bag along with some gardening tools for DD23 yesterday, both on clearance.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Picked up a few more make up brushes and make up remover for stocking stuffers.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Hit up clearance sale at Bath and Body Works this weekend! Picked up a shower gel/hand lotion set in one of last year's holiday fragrances. Also got one extra hand lotion in Freesia - I think they were $3.75 each? They had a ton of choices for 75% off!

I'll put those away for my sister this year :)

And I've tucked away a couple of lotions for me as well of course!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Went to an outlet centre today. Got tee shirts for DD at 2.50 each, a pair of lovely pants 2 for $15. Got my mum a new wallet, she picked it, was $69.95 down to $19.95.
All went into the gift closet, feeling a little better now.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Found some really nice bottles of body wash for $0.95 each - picked up three to put away for stocking stuffers this year! :)

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I have just repurchased 2 Lego mini figures for DS. I got them from ebay just before I got sick. They arrived in the middle of me having a raging temperature. No idea how but they were accidentally thrown away- I guess I was not thinking clearly.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I picked up a weed remover tool from Ross Dress for Less for DD23 and ordered Rockee toothbrushes for DGSs. I've bookmarked several stocking stuffer ideas for everyone.