Gift closet 2017

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Great idea Lucie.
What about a journal, diary, stickers, cute stationary items etc...

conniemac

MHH Member
Oct 20, 2007
Hello Everyone!
I'm back after a long absence. I usually jump back on this forum this time every year! Christmas is getting close and I love reading all the posts here!

This year I'm going to try something different for gift giving. My children are both grown adults and my parents and in-laws are elderly and have little need for anything. I'm trying to return to a more simplistic less commercial Christmas. I want to stop giving thoughtless gift cards and meaningless stuff just to have wrapped presents under the tree. I am going to try creating something for each person this year. I'm thinking scrap/memory books for my parents and in-laws. I think they would enjoy that over a bought gift. My children are a little trickier. They are 21 and 19 so I haven't figured out what to make them. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I will still buy somethings but I really want more emphasis on the spirit of Christmas this year!
Thanks in advance for any ideas!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
19 and 21 that is tricky conniemac. How about a blanket or a scarf made with the colors of their favorite teams?

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
FS, I like the ideas of craft gifts for DD. I think she would really enjoy making some items.
DH bought our kids when they were young sketch books and pencils and they would sit for hours by the lake and sketch away. They both really enjoyed that as it was not just drawing it was sketching an actual scene.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Great idea Katrina.
FS what about watercolour pencils- like paint but without the mess or clean up.

Reactions: sweetpumkinpye

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I did purchase some magnetic to do pads last night from Dollar General. I give to almost everybody. Family members, co-workers, friends and the 2 beauty shop women along with their other gifts.

Got Teigan a watering can half price there too.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Conniemac, do you have any of their t-shirts from school events or vacations, etc? If you don't sew you can always have somebody do a t-shirt quilt for them.

or make pillows with them.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Picked up a throw blanket for my DS and a couple clip board picture frames for my dd.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Hello Everyone!
I'm back after a long absence. I usually jump back on this forum this time every year! Christmas is getting close and I love reading all the posts here!

This year I'm going to try something different for gift giving. My children are both grown adults and my parents and in-laws are elderly and have little need for anything. I'm trying to return to a more simplistic less commercial Christmas. I want to stop giving thoughtless gift cards and meaningless stuff just to have wrapped presents under the tree. I am going to try creating something for each person this year. I'm thinking scrap/memory books for my parents and in-laws. I think they would enjoy that over a bought gift. My children are a little trickier. They are 21 and 19 so I haven't figured out what to make them. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I will still buy somethings but I really want more emphasis on the spirit of Christmas this year!
Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Theme gifts? Does one like to cook/bake? Cook book, apron, specially sauces/spices.
Like coffee/teas? travel coffee mug with the their favorite picture on it along with some specialty teas or coffee.

Reheatable/freezeable rice bags in assorted sizes in a print that they would like. Makes for great warmers/icepacks.

Assorted picture frames for their bedroom/apartment and maybe prefill some with family pictures,.

Reactions: Miss JoDee

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Minta, I like the idea of the rice bags. They would be great here for the winter to warm frosty toes.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
FS - you are doing great. How about something to craft for your oldest ds? like big knitting needles or a crochet with some yarn?

She really wanted to learn how to knit, and I got her the needles and yarn last year, but she wasn't co-ordinated enough yet. She had vision problems early in life, and her co-ordination hasn't completely caught up yet. I wonder if crocheting might be a little easier where she only has to hold one hook at a time. She definitely loves crafts. :)

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I do think crochet is easier and when you make a mistake much easier to correct.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
ive done a couple shadow boxes with their picture and fave shirt they had on at the time

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Did the groceries yesterday and managed to pick up some stocking fillers for DH, a paperback novel, a car air freshener and some sports drink. Will make his stocking a bit fuller. One of the big department store had some Christmas decorations out but nothing that I needed so it all stayed there.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
What about a first aid kit (Filled with the bandaids, gauze and all), flashlights, led lanterns weather radion. Or with the season ending a lot of grill stuff and such on clearance.

Skippy1707

Retire Member
Sep 5, 2016
Wales
Do they have any hobbies that you could link gifts too? I thnk 21 and 19 are an awkward age - mine are only young so its still toys for the youngest and the 13 year old has discovered clothes and smellies :-/

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
FS, I like the ideas of craft gifts for DD. I think she would really enjoy making some items.
DH bought our kids when they were young sketch books and pencils and they would sit for hours by the lake and sketch away. They both really enjoyed that as it was not just drawing it was sketching an actual scene.
That's a good idea too. I always gave them colouring books and crayons, but she says she's too big for crayons now.

Great idea Katrina.
FS what about watercolour pencils- like paint but without the mess or clean up.

I've never heard of those..I'll have to see if I can find them.

I do think crochet is easier and when you make a mistake much easier to correct.

I've been knitting since I was 12, so it seems easy to me, but crochet is new to me. I have a book that teaches you one bit at a time, and you make a wardrobe for an 18-inch doll as you move through the lessons. She already knows about the book, but I could get her some pretty coloured hooks and some brightly coloured yarn - whatever she'd need to work through the lessons.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
FS i think that crochet will be a skill that DD will enjoy and it will be great as it is something that you can both learn together.
In the next few years oldest DD can teach her younger sisters how to crochet.