Gift closet 2017

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
You girls are doing great! I wish I were better at buying ahead. DH and I get bonus checks in June, and I hope to order some stocking stuffers then.

Reactions: Minta

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
I picked up EOS (it's like a ball of chapstick) that was on clearance at the grocery store for 74 cents each (reg. $2.99 each). I picked up 2 of them for my daughters stocking. I also picked up a box of Pets character band aids for 62 cents (reg. $2.50), also on clearance. I will add that to the Operation Christmas Child box.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Kelly what great finds.
I bought DH a very good brand metal thermos. It was around $80 but the store had them for 30% off so it came down to just under $60. Still quite expensive but it will be some thing that should last a lifetime. It is in the gift cupboard.
Got a tee shirt for DD for $5.00 so that will either go into her stocking or as a gift.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Love all the deals everyone is finding and a bit jealous too ;) Normally by now I would several gifts bought and tucked away but so far this year I only have a couple. When I have seen something that would make a great gift I didn't have the extra money for it and when I did have the extra money the item I wanted to get would be gone. :(

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
Love all the deals everyone is finding and a bit jealous too ;) Normally by now I would several gifts bought and tucked away but so far this year I only have a couple. When I have seen something that would make a great gift I didn't have the extra money for it and when I did have the extra money the item I wanted to get would be gone. :(

Seems like it goes that way a lot for me too!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Got a few more things yesterday. KMart had unders for $3.00 a pair so got some for DD, they will be combined with something else I have to make a gift.
Got a layby off from KMart and put another one on at Target. Got my mum some pj's and a nice pair of dress trousers. I also got some silicone trays for in the freezer, they are bigger than an ice cube tray and she will use them for freezing stock etc. They will go in her stocking.
I need to make a list of DVDs that the kids need for the shows they watch and keep an eye out for the release dates.

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
I should look into lay away, I never tried it.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We are up to page 9 of this thread and it is June. I think last year there were 9 pages for the entire year so we are doing well.

Kelly, I do lots of laybys. I think Tanya does too. Maybe it is more of a thing in Australia but most department stores (Target, K Mart, Big W)
offer a layby service.
The rules are....
The total of goods must be at least $40,
there is a $3.00 service fee,
you have 8 weeks to pay it off,
most stores like a fortnightly payment,
and it must be picked up by the expiry date (although most store give a bit of leeway).

I always have at least 1 layby on at any one time, and I always have a fair idea of what I am going to put on layby. I also limit the total amount to a figure that I can afford the 8 payments on. Obviously the more you have on hold the more the fortnightly payments are. The next one which will be in approximately 8 weeks from now will have a whole bunch of DVDs that will be coming out around the end of July beginning of August.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Yes Katrina,
I love Layby. I do them all the time. In June/ July the big stores do the pre-Christmas layby- mostly for toys but if you ask nicely they will let you do anything in the store. You can keep these items on layby through til December. I pay them right down and leave about 50c left- so essentially these stores are storing the items for me. I figure that $3 is a fair price for them to store for me til Christmas. Luke is pretty much past toys now and does not like the clothes from these stores but he does like the video games, board games and other assorted bits and pieces. Pretty much the only thing you can't layby is food items.

I currently have one on at Kmart- with several bits for Christmas. Technically your not supposed to layby sale items but the staff at my stores know me and let me and let me add sale items- they know I will always pick up my layby's. Apparently lots go uncollected- then they have to refund the $ less the service fee and they are stuck with old stock that they wanted to clear- hence the sale prices.

This year Im looking at getting a US shipping address to enable me to order from Amazon at your prices- which are generally a LOT less than we pay here. They then hold your items for you until you have a few packages from different suppliers then package them together for shipment. Its expensive to ship but can still be cheaper that just buying the items here.

Eg: Luke likes Ralph Lauren polo shirts. Here they cost about $129- $149 depending on the design. Sometimes you can get them on sale here for $99. But if I use a US shipping address I can order them at your prices- get them shipped here and still save about $30-$40 each shirt if I buy them on your sales.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Tanya, I agree. There are so many things that I want from the US but the postage is unbelievable expensive.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Unfortunately here in the US Target does not offer layaways and Walmart only does layaways at Christmas but only on certain things. I know Kmart do layaways year round but their prices are usually higher unless you catch a good sale and several smarts are closing so not everyone has one near by. I know Toys R Us will offer layaways at Christmas but I am not if they do them year round.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
WOW Minta. that is interesting to know. I really could not do my Christmas shopping without a layby. I put my first one for the year on in January and will get one off about November.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Walmart used to do layaways year round but stopped them several years ago. I loved layaway so yeah now its more difficult. We now do a christmas club where i faithfully put money into each month and all of that goes towards Christmas shopping.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Went to the mall yesterday with DD and picked up a few mote things. I am doing a tanning gift bag for her for Christmas and the brand she uses has just bought out a tan eraser so I got some of that to add to the gift. She also found a book that she was interested in so I got that and will give her that as a gift as well. I am thinking that the kids will get about 15 gifts each this year so I am doing OK so far.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I picked up some stocking stuffers this past week at Bath and Body works...It's their semi-annual sale so I got some of those fancy little car scent holder things. My daughter and brother already have one, but I got them another cute little one for 50% off.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I loved Bath and Body works when I visited the U.S. If I ever get the chance to go back I will be stocking up on all their wonderful products.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Katrina,

We have Bath and Body Works- only 1 store and they don't have the complete range as its a tiny store. its also significantly more expensive that in the US. Its in the domestic airport terminal at Sydney. Not great for you I realise- they currently don't do online orders either. If there is a particular item or items your looking for- next time I go there I will have a look for you? Im happy to post it. We often pop out to the airport for Krispy Kreme!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Tanya, that is so sweet of you.....now I am thinking of Krispy Kremes....yummy