Gift closet 2018

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Since a few people seem to have bought a few items, it's time to start the new thread.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Thanks Lucie......
Looking forward to a great year of seeing what everyone is putting away. Always a great thread for ideas.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I cleaned my gift closet boxes yesterday and was pleased to see that all the stocking boxes and gift boxes had at least one thing in them.

For the first part of the year I concentrate on stocking fillers that are non perishable. I look for things at the supermarket and add them to my normal grocery list when I see them at a good price, often at 50% off. My supermarket has items at half price every week, it is jut a matter of looking at the catalogues and doing some research. I buy things like razors, shave foam, bath talc, deodorants, purse sized tissues, firelighters, toothbrushes, floss etc.
So that is what I will be looking at for the first few weeks of the new year before moving on to gift buying.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I got some plastic containers to put either cookies/candies in or gifts.

Got Teigan some Frozen fingernails for her poster. I need to make a record of items I buy and go ahead and wrap.

Haven't been anywhere to look for anything besides DG.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Still have some odds and ends from this year - mugs, sample size cosmetics, socks and gloves that are kind of generic, and some placemats I got at a craft market in PA. General stuff that can be distributed to people who need gifts.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I have actually cleaned out the gift closet ... gave away the last two sunglasses to DD25 friends. They were samples, very nice, from a company DH does business with. So the cost was $0. :)

I'm contemplating not having a gift closet ... hmmmm. This year we didn't do gifts and we all went to Blue Ridge, GA with my sis and niece and DH's sis. It was nice just to be together. I am finding that the older we all get, and the kids, 25 and 14 and niece is 24, well ... we all have so much 'stuff'.

I think the fun but practical stuff is what I will be on the look out for for 2018 Christmas. Socks, food/snacks, some of the toiletries sweetpumkinpye spoke of.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Jampss, what I have learned as my kids get older is that you have to do what works for your family. There is no perfect formula.
We too have a lot of "stuff" so I try to ensure that the things that we get for Christmas are practical and useful.

Reactions: jampss

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I also do toiletries- with a swimmer in the house Luke goes through so much shampoo, shower gel, etc. He has them at home, in his swim bag and in his locker at the pool. Because Christmas here fall in Summer I also get him some sunscreen to have in his bag. I got it yesterday actually for less than half price- its good through 2020- but it wont last that long. Swim towels- the microfiber ones get used heaps in this house too as they dry well and fold up tiny in a swim bag- also wash well and dry fast. A new beach towel is always part of our gifts- Useful for us!

I know I have a few things put away already but cant get into sort it out properly til Luke goes out or swimming.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
My gift stash is pretty low at the moment. I know I have 3 really pretty coffee mugs put away - some holiday dish towels, a peppermint stripe silicone whisk and a holiday silicone spatula. For now that is about it. Will work on picking up stocking stuffer type things - lip balms, lotions, etc.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
AJ, a good start, all we can do is keep plodding along and little by little we will get there. What ever we do now makes life easier come December..

Picked up 3 DVD's yesterday at $4.00 each. They will go into stockings possibly for my mum and DS. It is a good time to get ant Christmas movies that may be left.
Picked up a shave balm and lotion in a box for $1.00. If they have more there tomorrow I will get some more as they will be useful under the charity Christmas tree.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
microfiber towels! great idea for the kids.. they both do sports. I'll add that to my gift list. Thanks Tanya

Reactions: tanya

jollykelly

Premiere Member
Feb 22, 2015
Lehigh Valley, Pa
I have a few odds and ends that I picked up at great discounts (some 90% off). I will use them as the small gifts I get for people from my daughter.

Ceramic Travel Coffee Mug (was $14.99.....I got for $1.50)

Bath and Body Works lotion (not ashamed to say a re-gift. I received this from a co worker. but it smells like cinnamon, which I do not like for a lotion)

Magnetic note pad and note cube set (was $6.99.....I got for $1)

Yankee Candle -Fresh Lavender Scent (was $19.99...I got for $9)

I also picked up metal gift cards holders for $1.00 (was $3.00) and Christmas Cards for $3.00 (was $8.99)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
JollyKelly, great bargains.
I got the mens shave gel and balm set for $1.00 each at KMart. Mum and I bought 5 each and we will donate them back to KMart for the giving tree in December.
I bought my mum a beautiful White Santa figurine surrounded by woodland creatures. Was 1/2 price down to $25 from $50. He is beautiful.
A found a Christmas countdown for $1.00. It is 25 oval tags that you peg to a red/white string. I am thinking of writing things on the back of the tags. Things like, open one gift under the tree, choose a special dinner, choose a movie to watch, etc. Need to come up with 25 great ideas suitable for the whole family.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Katrina, I like the idea for the Christmas countdown. I got one last year from Target, but didn't use it this year. Now, I have an idea for next Christmas. Thanks!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
MissJane. glad to help. Looking forward to coming up with the activities for the tags.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lucie, can you tell me what sort of things you put in the homeless bags and how you distribute them?
I am always after ideas on how to help others in our community. My mum and I donate to a charity Christmas tree but would like to help more if possible.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Reactions: GrammaDeb

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
We have a place here in town that provide rooms for Homeless families. I have given them items before. The last time I was talking to a few of the staff. I didn't like some of the things they said so I no longer donate to them. It sorta sounded like the items we donate do not always go the people living there. Since I donate a lot of gift cards I figured I'd do something else for people.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Diedra, as a family we have donated a lot in the past and have often been surprised by the response. There are places that we will never donate to again because of how we were treated when we dropped off the goods. I don't want a huge "pat in the back" for helping out but a genuine thank you goes a long way.
Lucie, I love the idea of the homeless bags, thanks for the link. I will talk to the family and see if this is something that we might like to do for this year. If I start now I may have quite a few bags done by Christmas.