Gift closet 2018

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
The men are always the hardest to buy for! In my family anyway.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Agreed. DH has clothes that he has never worn but will walk around the house in shorts that are 10 years old.
He does enjoy books but has little time to read. I find him the hardest to buy for.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
I went through the gift closet last night and am doing better than I thought. I need to by 3 pairs of socks for three of the 4 men I buy for and a gift card. Will make sure I do that tomorrow.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I'm buttoning up all the little loose ends finally!

DH is my problem. He says he can't think of anything to add to his wish list. that if he wants something he just goes out and buys it. :confused:

We have a rule between me and DH .. no buying anything for ourselves after Oct 1st unless it is a needed item.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
AJ, I have that problem too. And I really don't like buying off his list. I feel like I should know my husband well enough to buy things for him without a list, but this year I've struggled to find things.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
DH and I agreed long ago not to exchange gifts. I just wanted his presence. He work many long and late hours for UPS so he didn't have time to shop....no he does not plan ahead. Many times my birthday gifts are purchased on my birthday. (December 27th)
We scaled back to 3 gifts for the kids and my mom and his parents when they were living. Later we started drawing names with the kids (so they could afford to do Christmas and find a thoughtful gift. DH and I still buy for them, however I think after this year we will get just for the name we draw and mom.

I will tell you though my favorite gift I from DH was 2 gallons of paint for our living-room. Birthday gift...he painted the living room.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I love that gift, Jody! So sweet!

Myron's Mom - I struggle with gift list vs. picking things on my own as well. I usually compromise and mostly get things he's suggested (tools usually - which I wouldn't know to buy without specific guidance - lol) and then things I think he'll enjoy. I'm planning to finish online shopping today - wish me luck!

I picked up another stocking stuffer for DS and some gift cards at Target yesterday - gift cards were 10% off for one day only which was nice. Also picked up marker set at Walmart for little girl from our adopted family. And got final item for baking gift boxes for the twins - ended up needed 1 more silicone spatula to even things out. I've gotten some candy here and there for stockings too.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am going to try a few more gift cards next year. The supermarket I use has a rewards program where after a while you get $10 off a shop. I think I will save my $10's up until I have enough for a gift card.
Now that gift cards do not have an expiry date here I think I will pop one into my trolley every few visits.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
That is a brilliant idea, Katrina!

I finally got DH's presents squared away! Picked up order at Menards last night and have things from Amazon on the way. Feels good to have that DONE!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
AJ, glad that you have got DH squared away. Feels wonderful to have a few things ticked off the list.
Our grocery shop have a few things in the catalogue that will be great for stocking fillers. will look at those today.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Love picking up stocking stuffers on the grocery trips!!! Does anyone else tend to pick up WAY too many right before Christmas? It's like I suddenly forget I've been buying things all along and feel the need to pile a half doze novelty candy items in my cart? :oops:

Picked up more crinkle paper for gift basket filler last night - gritting my teeth at paying full price! Boo!

Also got a nice big pack of gold tone large paperclips for the ribbon paperclips project.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
AJ. I think that if I can get stocking stuffers etc as part of my grocery budget it is a win-win. I tend to buy most stocking fillers from the supermarket.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Oh, AJ that is so darn cute. I need to buy batteries for the battery operated lights. I could do that and put them in DH stocking.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
AJ......WOO HOO!!!. Well done.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Watching this thread through out 2018 has inspired me to declutter my basement so I have space to store gifts bought through out the year. I'm getting more and more requests for auction gift baskets. If I can buy seasonal items when they are being clearanced, then I might get more bang for my buck and for the non-profit's buck too.

Reactions: luludou