Gift closet 2018

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Went to the mall today. I am doing DD a pool party basket. I got serviettes, plastic cups with a pineapple motif. In KMart I got cocktail umbrellas, some cocktail sticks, a blow up flamingo, a set of three hanging pineapples and some bags to make ice cubes. I will add a candle, some insect repellent and maybe a bottle of mojito mix or something similar. Christmas is Summer here so I am sure that she will get some great use out of it.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Stopped at ToysRUS again today and got one of our nieces done for Christmas and her birthday, picked another gift for our son and put more money onto the Christmas Club this weekend. Took my mom with us and she picked up a couple gifts for the kids for Christmas too.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Minta, sounds like a very successful trip.

Reactions: Minta

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Sitting here with my planner trying to come up with lists for the back half of the year.
Time to start looking a menus and what I need to perhaps start stockpiling. Also need to double check the stockings so far and write lists of what I still may need.
I start to hit a mild panic come June, the front part of the year has gone so quickly and I know that the next 6 months will go equally as quick.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Got some stainless steel pegs and bamboo sox in the post yesterday. Need to order some string bags off ebay. Wanting to replace some things here with more sustainable options.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Checked off a few more gifts. Ordered the kids their main christmas gifts the other day and picked up a glass snowman candle holder last night from Yankee candle for an extended family member.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
We just decided about out secret Santa gifts. Several family members are on limited budgets so we are going with a reuse, repurpose theme. I think it will be hardest on the is DS who has a nice income with limited expenses lol. Mom already has her gift shopped from her house. She has a yellow teapot.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have posted this before but for a gift exchange idea (as in a Secret Santa).

A few years ago my boss and her friends did a book swap for Christmas. The idea was that they all wrapped up a book that they had read throughout the year and that they had really enjoyed. Everyone went home with a new book to read.
I thought that this was a marvelous idea.

Reactions: PamelaG

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Nice idea about the books as a gift.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
We've also done a book exchange as a Bingo game prize which could be done during the holidays. Everyone brings a book wrapped in brown paper with five words (clues) written on the front. If you win a Bingo game, you get to chose which book you would like. I think there was a white elephant component in there too so there was some stealing going on. It was a lot of fun.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Books are always great!

Bought 4 large stainless steel cooling racks from Amazon - 2 for each of the baking/cooking themed gift baskets I'm doing for the twins (honorary nieces)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Got a few more things for a food hamper that I am doing for DH father. He likes to receive one every year and I try to make sure he has things for Christmas breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as snacks.
He lives about 2 hours from us so I can't really pack fresh items so we give him a GC to the local supermarket for the fresh items.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Picked up a few more gifts and stocking stuffers yesterday. DH and I stopped by ToysRUs one last time and found a few more things. Picked up a pair of boots for my DD from a local store that she had wanted, they were normally priced for $45 and I got them for $20.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Minta. I read that Toys R Us are closing their doors in Australia. I never really shopped there as I don't have young children, but it seems there are no real toy stores any more.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Minta. I read that Toys R Us are closing their doors in Australia. I never really shopped there as I don't have young children, but it seems there are no real toy stores any more.

You are right ... All the Toys R Us stores are set to close in a few days. They may be a small toy store here and there but nothing on the scale of Toys R Us. Its very sad